Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users What process is writing to disk? Post 302252674 by otheus on Thursday 30th of October 2008 05:28:11 AM
Old 10-30-2008
Here's what I plan to do ... (does anyone have a better idea?) On a periodic basis, run the following command and compare the subsequent runs' outputs to the first run.
Code:
find / -xdev -type d -exec du -s "{}" ";" >other-file-system/du-output

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Writing file to disk takes time

Hi All, I am working on a Solaris machine. When i use a particular software to generate some files, the log shows around 0 to 3 secs for generating each file. But the same when i see on the disk it shows double the time difference between two file generation. For example if file A takes 0 secs... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: nileshkarania
7 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

disk i/o per process

Dear All, We are using AIX 5.2 with IBM pseries servers. I want to check disk io for a running process. Please if anybody can help me. Thanks. Aqeel Anwar (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: aqeelcu@hotmail
1 Replies

3. AIX

disk i/o per process on aix 5.2

hi, i am working on aix 5.2, i want to check disk i/o for any running process. please if anybody can help me. thanks Aqeel Anwar (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: system-admin
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Which Process is writing this Log file!!

Hello , Well I have some /tmp files which are growing very quickly..Can anyone suggest me a way to find which process is logging into this file :confused: ? Thanks very much in Advance!! Mohammed (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mohammed
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Which process is doing all the writing

Hi We are running an IBM P570 with AIX and Unidata. The disk monitor in nmon is showing that one of our logical volumes is hitting 100% most of the time, and that 98% of it is write. I am trying to identify the top processes in terms of disk IO, obviously particularly write so that we... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: idwalton72
4 Replies

6. Linux

How to follow up disk mirroring process?

Hi, The OS is SuSE Enterprise 11 and the system is HP WS460c G6 Blade with hardware disk array RAID 1 mirror. One disk was just replaced and the disk mirroring process is on its way. My question is how to follow up / monitor the disk mirroring process? I know hpacucli can do the job, but there... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: aixlover
0 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Writing a loop to process multiple input files by a shell script

I have multiple input files that I want to manipulate using a shell script. The files are called 250.1 through 250.1000 but I only want the script to manipulate 250.300 through 250.1000. Before I was using the following script to manipulate the text files: for i in 250.*; do || awk... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: evelibertine
4 Replies

8. Ubuntu

Reading disk usage per process

Hi, I am using iostat and /proc/<pid>/status to determine the disk usage per process. I have a question regarding buffer cache. When I am reading a 10MB file, the counters I get show that <5MB of the file is read. Do the counters in iostat and /proc/<pid> reflect the amount of data that is... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: fidelity
2 Replies

9. Emergency UNIX and Linux Support

How to find which process using, while getting High Disk I/O?

In Our Production server I/O was very high, I Recived mail that Disk I/O was high, is it possible how to find which process Used this much I/O ? Iam Using Ubuntu server 12.04. Linux 3.9.3-x86_64-server33 (Li473-1200) 07/23/2014 _x86_64_ (8 CPU) 12:05:01 AM DEV ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: babinlonston
5 Replies

10. Open Source

Help with writing Shell Script to automate process using multiple commands

Hello! Need help to write a Linux script that can be run from windows using command/Cygwin/any other way. I am new to scripting, actually i am trying to automate server health check like free disk space, memory along with few services status, if any services is not running then start services ,... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sayed Ibrahim
7 Replies
edinplace(1)							Mail Avenger 0.8.3						      edinplace(1)

NAME
edinplace - edit a file in place SYNOPSIS
edinplace [--error=code] [[--file=file] command [arg ...]] DESCRIPTION
edinplace runs command with its input from file (or standard input by default), and then replaces the contents of file with the output of command. To the extent possible, edinplace attempts to exit with the same status as command. If edinplace is run on standard input (no --file option), it must inherit a file descriptor 0 that is open for both reading and writing. When processing standard input, if edinplace does not encounter a fatal error, it rewinds its standard input to offset 0 before exiting. Thus, a script can first run edinplace command, then run another filter command such as grep, and the resulting output will be the output of grep on command's output. If no command is specified, edinplace just rewinds its standard input to file offset 0. In this case, it is an error to supply the --file option. Of course, rewinding only works when standard input is a real file (as opposed to a pipe or device). There are two options: --error=code (-x code) Ordinarily, edinplace attempts to exit with the same status as command. However, if edinplace encounters some fatal error (such as being unable to execute command), it will exit with status code. The default value is 1. The range of valid exit codes is 1-255, inclusive. --file=file (-f file) Specifies that file should be edited. Otherwise, edinplace will edit its standard input (which must be opened for both reading and writing). --skipfrom Skip the first line of the file if it starts "From ". If edinplace is run without a command, positions the file offset at the start of the second line of the file. If edinplace is run with a command, then the first line of the file is neither fed to the command, nor overwritten. This option is useful for running edinplace over mail files, which sometimes start with a "From " line specifying the envelope sender of the message. Since "From " is not part of the message header, just a Unix convention, some programs are confused by the presence of that line. Note that if you specify a command, then edinplace resets the file offset to 0 upon exiting, even if the --skipfrom option was present. EXAMPLES
The following command prepends the string "ORIGINAL: " to the beginning of each line in text file message: edinplace -f message sed -e 's/^/ORIGINAL: /' The following command runs the spamassassin mail filter program on a mail message stored in file message, replacing the contents of message with spamassassin's annotated output, and exiting with code 100 if spamassassin thinks the message is spam. If edinplace encounters any fatal errors, it will exit with code 111. edinplace -x 111 -f message spamassassin -e 100 (spamassassin reads a mail message on standard input and outputs an annotated copy of the message including information about whether or not the message is likely to be spam and why. The -e option to spamassassin specifies what exit status spamassassin should use if the message appears to be spam; edinplace will use the same exit code as the program it has run.) To run spamassassin on incoming mail before accepting the mail from the remote client, place the following line in an appropriate Mail Avenger rcpt file as the last command executed: bodytest edinplace -x 111 spamassassin -e 100 SEE ALSO
avenger(1) The Mail Avenger home page: <http://www.mailavenger.org/>. BUGS
edinplace does not make a copy of the file being edited, but rather overwrites the file as it is being processed. At any point where command has produced more output than it has consumed input from the file, edinplace buffers the difference in memory. Thus, a command that outputs large amounts of data before reading the input file can run edinplace out of memory. (A program that outputs data as it reads even a very large file should be fine, however.) If command crashes or malfunctions for any reason, you will likely lose the input file, since edinplace will view this as a program that simply outputs the empty file. AUTHOR
David Mazieres Mail Avenger 0.8.3 2012-04-05 edinplace(1)