Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers How can i use fork,sleep,wait and write in a process with father and son..?? Post 302252436 by gumlucin on Wednesday 29th of October 2008 12:05:08 PM
Old 10-29-2008
it must be a program which has written in C (gcc)..This program will use the fork,sleep,wait and write to do the process which i refer up..it must be only about what i refer up,i dont want a big program with many details..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

wait / sleep what to use???

Hi I have a script, where i need to execute the follwoing scripts/commands in my script. but those should be executed one by one cd /aa/205/jams .cmd/mass_all.sh - -> execution of this will take atleast 20-30mins cd $HOME/precompile ant-Ddir.location=$HOME/tomcat/webapps - -> execution of... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gkrishnag
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

wait command - cat it wait for not-chile process?

Did not use 'wait' yet. How I understand by now the wait works only for child processes, started background. Is there any other way to watch completion of any, not related process (at least, a process, owned by the same user?) I need to start a background process, witch will be waiting... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: alex_5161
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

help in wait or sleep command

Hi All, I have a script which runs 3 scripts. The first script creates two files. The other two scripts should run only when the files are created. I tried the following for loop , but it is not working. Can someone please help me. while ; do # Sleep until file does exists/is created... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: nua7
4 Replies

4. Red Hat

Fork wait in background process - large delay

hi all, We are trying to run a process in the background and in the process we call fork ;and wait for the child process to finish .We find that the died = wait(&status); happens after 10 seconds randomly and sometimes completes in time (within 1 sec) This behavior is seen only when the... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: vishnu.priya
0 Replies

5. Red Hat

Fork wait in background process - large delay

hi all, We are trying to run a process in the background and in the process we call fork ;and wait for the child process to finish .We find that the died = wait(&status); happens after 10 seconds randomly and sometimes completes in time (within 1 sec) This behavior is seen only when the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vishnu.priya
1 Replies

6. Programming

Newbie question on exec,fork, wait,pipe C

Hello everybody.I want to make clear that i am not going to ask from anybody to build my asignement but i have a big problem. I can't seem to find anywhere ONE good example on C about what i am trying to do:wall:.I think it is simple. All i ask is one example, even a link is fine. So, i want to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Cuervo
1 Replies

7. Programming

Linux fork, execv, wait question

Hi All, I have a program for class that needs to do the following: 1. Print the directory entries from the current directory using ncurses 2. Provide a prompt next to each directory entry and allow the user to enter commands that may or may not be about the file 3. Execute those commands in... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: afulldevnull
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sleep 600 or fork/spawn a process or daemon?

Hi, I have a script that run every 10 minutes, from a specific timeframe of the day, for example 0500 - 1900. The script is some sort of checker script for an application log file and check for errors and email us if there is error/s reported in the log. At the moment, I schedule it... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: newbie_01
1 Replies

9. BSD

Process remians in Running state causing other similar process to sleep and results to system hang

Hi Experts, I am facing one problem here which is one process always stuck in running state which causes the other similar process to sleep state . This causes my system in hanged state. On doing cat /proc/<pid>wchan showing the "__init_begin" in the output. Can you please help me here... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: naveeng
0 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Process remians in Running state causing other similar process to sleep and results to system hang

Hi Experts, I am facing one problem here which is one process always stuck in running state which causes the other similar process to sleep state . This causes my system in hanged state. On doing cat /proc/<pid>wchan showing the "__init_begin" in the output. Can you please help me here... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: naveeng
1 Replies
PIPE(2) 						     Linux Programmer's Manual							   PIPE(2)

NAME
pipe, pipe2 - create pipe SYNOPSIS
#include <unistd.h> int pipe(int pipefd[2]); #define _GNU_SOURCE /* See feature_test_macros(7) */ #include <unistd.h> int pipe2(int pipefd[2], int flags); DESCRIPTION
pipe() creates a pipe, a unidirectional data channel that can be used for interprocess communication. The array pipefd is used to return two file descriptors referring to the ends of the pipe. pipefd[0] refers to the read end of the pipe. pipefd[1] refers to the write end of the pipe. Data written to the write end of the pipe is buffered by the kernel until it is read from the read end of the pipe. For fur- ther details, see pipe(7). If flags is 0, then pipe2() is the same as pipe(). The following values can be bitwise ORed in flags to obtain different behavior: O_NONBLOCK Set the O_NONBLOCK file status flag on the two new open file descriptions. Using this flag saves extra calls to fcntl(2) to achieve the same result. O_CLOEXEC Set the close-on-exec (FD_CLOEXEC) flag on the two new file descriptors. See the description of the same flag in open(2) for reasons why this may be useful. RETURN VALUE
On success, zero is returned. On error, -1 is returned, and errno is set appropriately. ERRORS
EFAULT pipefd is not valid. EINVAL (pipe2()) Invalid value in flags. EMFILE Too many file descriptors are in use by the process. ENFILE The system limit on the total number of open files has been reached. VERSIONS
pipe2() was added to Linux in version 2.6.27; glibc support is available starting with version 2.9. CONFORMING TO
pipe(): POSIX.1-2001. pipe2() is Linux-specific. EXAMPLE
The following program creates a pipe, and then fork(2)s to create a child process; the child inherits a duplicate set of file descriptors that refer to the same pipe. After the fork(2), each process closes the descriptors that it doesn't need for the pipe (see pipe(7)). The parent then writes the string contained in the program's command-line argument to the pipe, and the child reads this string a byte at a time from the pipe and echoes it on standard output. #include <sys/wait.h> #include <stdio.h> #include <stdlib.h> #include <unistd.h> #include <string.h> int main(int argc, char *argv[]) { int pipefd[2]; pid_t cpid; char buf; if (argc != 2) { fprintf(stderr, "Usage: %s <string> ", argv[0]); exit(EXIT_FAILURE); } if (pipe(pipefd) == -1) { perror("pipe"); exit(EXIT_FAILURE); } cpid = fork(); if (cpid == -1) { perror("fork"); exit(EXIT_FAILURE); } if (cpid == 0) { /* Child reads from pipe */ close(pipefd[1]); /* Close unused write end */ while (read(pipefd[0], &buf, 1) > 0) write(STDOUT_FILENO, &buf, 1); write(STDOUT_FILENO, " ", 1); close(pipefd[0]); _exit(EXIT_SUCCESS); } else { /* Parent writes argv[1] to pipe */ close(pipefd[0]); /* Close unused read end */ write(pipefd[1], argv[1], strlen(argv[1])); close(pipefd[1]); /* Reader will see EOF */ wait(NULL); /* Wait for child */ exit(EXIT_SUCCESS); } } SEE ALSO
fork(2), read(2), socketpair(2), write(2), popen(3), pipe(7) COLOPHON
This page is part of release 3.27 of the Linux man-pages project. A description of the project, and information about reporting bugs, can be found at http://www.kernel.org/doc/man-pages/. Linux 2010-09-10 PIPE(2)