Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to awk/sed/grep lines which contains a pattern at a given position Post 302252383 by anoopvraj on Wednesday 29th of October 2008 10:23:34 AM
Old 10-29-2008
i tried like this

while read alpha
do
awk 'substr($0,3,7)<"$alpha"||substr($0,81,7)<"$alpha"'<ecscrfinal >> mkoff.$alpha
awk 'substr($0,3,7)<"$alpha"||substr($0,81,7)<"$alpha"' <ecsdrfinal >> mkoff.$alpha
done < /home/ftp/ecs/usercode

which yielded no results

then like this, $alph without quotes;

while read alpha
do
awk 'substr($0,3,7)<$alpha||substr($0,81,7)<$alpha'<ecscrfinal >> mkoff.$alpha
awk 'substr($0,3,7)<$alpha||substr($0,81,7)<$alpha' <ecsdrfinal >> mkoff.$alpha
done < /home/ftp/ecs/usercode

In this case the entire file is copied to all the userwise split files

What I am doing wrong..... Cant I do substitution inside awk...??

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extracting pattern only with AWK | SED | GREP

We have the following statement working in CGYWIN, but when we move the program to Solaris 10 it fails. x=`echo "ABC196925XYZ" | grep -o --only-matching "\{6\}"` How can we use AWK or SED to extract only the number from the string? The following outputs the entire string. We only want... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: James Clark
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove text from n position to n position sed/awk

I want to remove text from nth position to nth position couple of times in same line my line is "hello is there anyone can help me with this question" I need like this ello is there anyone can help me with question 'h' is removed and 'this' removed from the line. I want to do this... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: elamurugu
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed/awk : how to delete lines based on IP pattern ?

Hi, I would like to delete lines in /etc/hosts on few workstations, basically I want to delete all the lines for a list of machines like this : for HOST in $(cat stations.lst |uniq) do # echo -n "$HOST" if ping -c 1 $HOST > /dev/null 2>&1 then HOSTNAME_val=`rsh $HOST "sed... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: albator1932
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

One liner pattern search with awk/sed/grep

I have an array containing bunch of characters. I have to check this array for specific character and if "Not Found than" use a goto statement to go to USAGE set options = (A B C D E F) @ i = 0 while ($i <= ${#options}) if ($options != "F" || $options != "D") then goto USAGE endif @... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dixits
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to print the lines between the pattern using awk/grep/sed?

Hi, I need a help to search a pattern and print the multiple lines between them. Input file: Tue May 29 12:30:33 EDT 2012:threadWebContainer : 357:com.travimp.hotelierlinks.abba.service.RequestHandler.requestService(String, ITICSDataSet): hotelCancelReservation request: ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: aroragaurav.84
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Getting lines before and until next pattern in file /awk, sed

Hi, I need to get specific parts in a large file. I need to: Get a line containing an IP address, and read from there to another line saying ***SNMP-END*** So, I have the start and the end well defined, but the problem is that apparently the awk command using the -F option doesn't work... (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: ocramas
17 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed/awk : to grep only required pattern disk

Hi Experts, Need help with the following: Desired output: Only want to get the output marked in green. The file: --- Physical volumes --- PV Name /dev/disk/disk4704 PV Status available Total PE 6399 Free PE ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rveri
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed and awk usage to grep a pattern 1 and with reference to this grep a pattern 2 and pattern 3

Hi , I have a file where i have modifed certain things compared to original file . The difference of the original file and modified file is as follows. # diff mir_lex.c.modified mir_lex.c.orig 3209c3209 < if(yy_current_buffer -> yy_is_our_buffer == 0) { --- >... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: breezevinay
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using awk or sed to find a pattern that has lines before and after it

Dear gurus, Please help this beginner to write and understand the required script. I am looking for useing awk for sed. I have a few thousand lines file whose contain are mostly as below and I am trying to achieve followings. 1. Find a string, say user1. Then hash the line containing the... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ran_bon_78
6 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Sed/awk join lines once pattern found

Hi all OS - RHEL6.4 I have input file -f1.txt I need to search line which starts with \Start and read next line till it gets blank line and join them all. I need to trim any trailing spaces for each line.So output.txt should be.. \Start\now\fine stepwatch this space for toolsends... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: krsnadasa
7 Replies
IGAWK(1)							 Utility Commands							  IGAWK(1)

NAME
igawk - gawk with include files SYNOPSIS
igawk [ all gawk options ] -f program-file [ -- ] file ... igawk [ all gawk options ] [ -- ] program-text file ... DESCRIPTION
Igawk is a simple shell script that adds the ability to have ``include files'' to gawk(1). AWK programs for igawk are the same as for gawk, except that, in addition, you may have lines like @include getopt.awk in your program to include the file getopt.awk from either the current directory or one of the other directories in the search path. OPTIONS
See gawk(1) for a full description of the AWK language and the options that gawk supports. EXAMPLES
cat << EOF > test.awk @include getopt.awk BEGIN { while (getopt(ARGC, ARGV, "am:q") != -1) ... } EOF igawk -f test.awk SEE ALSO
gawk(1) Effective AWK Programming, Edition 1.0, published by the Free Software Foundation, 1995. AUTHOR
Arnold Robbins (arnold@skeeve.com). Free Software Foundation Nov 3 1999 IGAWK(1)