Sponsored Content
Special Forums IP Networking network segment use vlan, linux vconfig and AT-GS950 Post 302252213 by lorentz on Wednesday 29th of October 2008 03:38:52 AM
Old 10-29-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by penyu
Dear all,

I have a Allied Telesyn AT-GS950 16 port switch.
All hosts&router have rtl8139 NICs.
I use a switch with vlan technique to separate my network to some segment.

here my plan:

router eth0 ---> switch port 1
switch port 5 <--- eth0 host A
switch port 6 <--- eth0 host B

in eth0 of router, I make two vlan :
Code:
# modprobe 8021q
# ifconfig eth0 0.0.0.0 up
# vconfig add eth0 5
# ifconfig eth0.5 172.16.5.1 netmask 255.255.255.0 up
# vconfig add eth0 6
# ifconfig eth0.5 172.16.6.1 netmask 255.255.255.0 up

host A :
Code:
# ifconfig eth0 172.16.5.2 netmask 255.255.255.0 up

host B :
Code:
# ifconfig eth0 172.16.6.2 netmask 255.255.255.0 up

Arrange vlan configuration in switch :
Code:
VLAN_ID    VLAN_NAME     VLAN_MEMBER
1        Default VLAN   Untag:1; Tag:-; Not_member:2-16
5        vlan5              Untag:5; Tag:1; Not_member:2-4,6-16
6        vlan6              Untag:6; Tag:1; Not_member:2-5,7-16

ping result to both host A and host B from router gave same result : Destination Host Unreachable
ping command :
Code:
# ping 172.16.5.2 -I vlan5
# ping 172.16.6.2 -I vlan6

Please help, there's maybe I have wrong concept about vlan configuration?
Thank you very much.

Regards,
Denny
All config seems to be ok. Check ping from host to router (in same network, 172.16.5.2 -> 172.16.5.1 etc). Check running router process on router. And check trunk mode on AT switch - it must be 802.1q (dot1q).

Additionaly try to disable firewall on router, if you use that

I hope that helps

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

VLAN on SF280

hi, i tried to configure an VLAN interface on my SF280 based on the documentation on docs.sun.com # ifconfig eri1000 plumb up Oct 21 13:41:26 cmsmaster ip: ip_rput_dlpi(eri1000): DL_ERROR_ACK for DL_ATTACH_REQ(11), errno 8, unix 0 ifconfig: SIOCSLIFNAME for ip: eri1000: no such interface... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pressy
2 Replies

2. IP Networking

Network Access on Different Segment

I do have 2 different segment network which different platform on each segment. E.g. 20 segment, Windows OS can talk to Unix OS and 21 segment practice same rule. Further more, Windows OS from 20 segment can talk to 21 segment other OS but only the UNIX OS in 20 segment fail to talk to 21 segment.... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: HASM
3 Replies

3. IP Networking

what is wrong with VLAN???

Hi all, so server: FreeBSD 7.0 release, interfaces on it DLINK DGE-528T with support of vlans :)) so first interface looks to LAN second to ISP. I created vlan1 with id 1 and gave to it ip address and plug it in tagged port of swith for vlan 1. so client from vlan1 reaches the server. it... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: samar
2 Replies

4. AIX

how to know the vlan id?

I have a aix 5.3, two network adapter, configure as a etherchannel, how can I know the vlan id by command? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rainbow_bean
4 Replies

5. Programming

Data segment or Text segment

Hi, Whether the following piece of code is placed in the read-only memory of code (text) segment or data segment? char *a = "Hello"; I am getting two different answers while searching in google :( that's why the confusion is (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: royalibrahim
7 Replies

6. IP Networking

Implement inter vlan routing with Linux

Hello. I want to Communicate 2 VLAN with router like this solution: http://8pic.ir/images/83m0ouih8mmm9s1sfl56.jpg For this purpose I'm configuring 2 Linux system as a switch and connect 4 host to them. Then a router is added to scenario. The configuration of the switches is: On DUT1(Linux):... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: zsn
1 Replies

7. Solaris

Solaris 9 VLAN tagging with ce interface

Hi, Is it possible to VLAN tag with a ce interface on Solaris 9? Link speed is gb. ce:0:ce0:link_speed 1000 I have a ce0 interface I would need to have access to another VLAN as well as the one it's currently on. What commands would I need to run? Thanks.;) (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sparcman
2 Replies

8. Red Hat

Network issue in same vlan

We have two hosts in same vlan with same route rules. One of them is not able to connect to an outside IP while in another I get "failed: Connection timed out" while testing the connectivity through netcat. I have tried mtr /traceroute and it gives me the same results. Is there a netcat... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jacki
1 Replies

9. Solaris

Solaris non-global zone network vlan

Have 2 nics on physical system net0 phys 1500 up -- net1 phys 1500 up -- 1. I want to create a link aggregation with LACP enabled with above 2 nics 2. Create port-group(Like we create on ESXi) with VLAN-ID 2141 3. And assign this... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Shirishlnx
0 Replies

10. Solaris

IPMP over VLAN questions.

Hi Folks, I am currently moving systems to a new environment, with some changes to the network requirements on the systems. One of these changes is moving from just standard IPMP to using IPMP on top of a VLAN, I have used VLAN tagging befor without issue - however not with IPMP. What I... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gull04
2 Replies
SLIRPVDE(1)						      General Commands Manual						       SLIRPVDE(1)

NAME
slirpvde - Virtual Distributed Ethernet-Slirp interface SYNOPSIS
slirpvde OPTIONS [ socketdir ] DESCRIPTION
slirpvde is a slirp interface for a VDE network. Slirpvde connects all the units (virtual or real machines) to the network of the host where slirpvde runs as it were a NAT/Masquerading router. The default route is the node 2 (10.0.2.2 in the default network configuration) and DNS is re-mapped in node 3 (10.0.2.3). Slirpvde runs using standard user privileges (no need for root access): all the connections are re-generated by slirpvde itself. IPv4 only. IPv6 is still unsupported (will be supported when slirpvde will be rewritten using the LWIPv6 network stack). OPTIONS
-s, --sock, --socket, --vdesock, --unix directory specify the VDE switch directory (default /var/run/vde.ctl). The VDE switch directory can be also specified at the end of the com- mand, as illustrated by the optional parameter socketdir in the synopsis section, above. When '-' is used in place of the VDE switch directory, slirpvde works as a plug (see vde_plug(1)). The command: dpipe vde_plug = ssh remote.machine.org slirpvde - which is the same as: dpipe vde_plug = ssh remote.machine.org slirpvde -s - connects the default local switch to a remote slirpvde. -p, --pidfile filename specify the name of the file which contains the PID of slirpvde. -g, --group group specify the UNIX group for the VDE communication socket. -m, --mod mode specify the octal UNIX permissions for the VDE communication socket. -P, --port port specify the port of the vde switch whern slirpvde must be connected. -d, --daemon detach from terminal and run slirpvde in background. -H, --host address [ / masklen ] specify the host address (default 10.0.2.2/24). This option automatically defines the network. e.g. -H 192.168.55.1 or: --host 10.1.2.3/16 The default value for masklen is 24. If the host part of the address is zero this option defines only the network. The default host addr is addr 2, the default dns proxy is 3. e.g. -H 10.1.0.0/16 defines the network only. The host address is 10.1.0.2 and the DNS proxy 10.1.0.3. -n, --network address [ / masklen ] specify the network address (default 10.0.2.0/24). Deprecated, it has been included for back compatibility only. It is an alias of -H, --host. -N, --dns address Specify the address of the dns server. If this is an address inside the slirp network, slirvde acts as a dns proxy on that address. The slirpvde dhcp server sends this dns address to the clients. By default this is the host number 3 in the slirpvde network. Using the default network it is 10.0.2.3. Warning: do not use the same address for host and dns. -D, --dhcp turn on the DHCP server for the network autoconfiguration of all the units connected to the VDE. It is possible to specify the start address assigned by the DHCP server as follows: --dhcp=10.1.1.44 DHCP assign addresses starting at host number 15 by default. Using the default network it starts from 10.0.2.15 -L port:vde_host:vde_hostport specifyes a TCP port redirection. All the TCP packets received by the host running slirpvde at port port will be forwarded to vde_host at port vde_hostport. -U port:vde_host:vde_hostport specifyes a UDP port redirection. All the UDP packets received by the host running slirpvde at port port will be forwarded to vde_host at port vde_hostport. -X vde_host[:display.[screen]]i redirect a X window screen of a virtual machine. Slirpvde gets the first unused X display on the host running slirpvde and redirects all the requests to vde_host. display and screen] must be specified when different from :0.0. -x port:unix_socket_path] redirect a port of the virtual router (usually 10.0.2.2) to a unix stream socket. It is used for example to redirect a X display of the hosting computer on the virtual network. e.g. -x6000:/tmp/.X11-unix/X0. (A suitable xhost configuration is needed (e.g. 'xhost local:'). -t, --tftp pathname slirpvde enables a tftp server sharing (read-only) the directory at pathname. -q, --quiet Quiet; do not write anything to standard output. NOTICE
Virtual Distributed Ethernet is not related in any way with www.vde.com ("Verband der Elektrotechnik, Elektronik und Informationstechnik" i.e. the German "Association for Electrical, Electronic & Information Technologies"). SEE ALSO
vde_switch(1), vde_plug(1), vde_plug2tap(1), dpipe(1). AUTHOR
VDE is a project by Renzo Davoli <renzo@cs.unibo.it>. This tool includes software developed by Danny Gasparovski: Slirp code is by Danny Gasparovsky. Bootp/DHCP code is by Fabrice Bellard. Virtual Distributed Ethernet June 15, 2008 SLIRPVDE(1)