Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Backslashes in Filenames
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Backslashes in Filenames Post 302252197 by dan-e on Wednesday 29th of October 2008 02:20:41 AM
Old 10-29-2008
Are the files isolated in a directory?

If so, you could try:
Code:
cat log*

... or something similar. The best way around this problem is probably to use a wildcard match rather than include the \ literal.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

spaces in filenames

I have a problem with the script below #!/bin/sh for vo in `find -maxdepth 1 -type f -regex "^\./*$"` do ls -l "$vo" some other commands done It works fine until `find ...` returns files with spaces. I've tryed to change IFS but haven't succeed Any solutions? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Hitori
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to echo 4 backslashes more easy ?

How to echo 4 backslashes more easy ? I can use 16 to echo 4 backslashes. # echo \\ \ # echo \\\\ \ # echo \\\\\\ \\ # echo \\\\\\\\ \\ # echo \\\\\\\\\\ \\\ # echo \\\\\\\\\\\\ \\\ # echo \\\\\\\\\\\\\\ \\\\ (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sun-guy
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Trouble with Backslashes

Hi folks, there are windows device names in the sixth column of a comma separated file. A example device name is: \\.\Tape0 I don't get the all string in to a variable, because of the preceding backslash. The first backslash is just cut off and my attempts to manipulate the string afterward... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: wibo1
0 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Inserting commas and replacing backslashes with commas

Hi, Newbie here. I have a file that consists of data that I want to convert to a csv file. For example: Jul 20 2008 1111 / visit home / BlackBerry8830/4.2.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLOC-1.1 VendorID/105 Jul 21 2008 22222 / add friend / BlackBerry8830/4.2.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kangaroo
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replacing 3 backslashes with 2 in a string

Hi, I have a requirement where i need to replace 3 backslashes with 2 in the below mentioned string, but i am facing problem with backslashes. However i tried the option below but doesnt work. My input remains a constant as i receive it from my upstream. Input String= "-rfile... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kk_madrid
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

escaping backslashes to evaluate paths

Hi there, i am struggling with this one, basically i want to replace an existing path string in a file with a new one, but the new one contains slashes which causes problems with "sed", i thought i could change the replacement string into a variable but of course when the variable is evaluated... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: surfbus78
4 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

printing backslashes

printf "\\" prints a backslash.how we can print multiple backslashes such as "\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\". Thanks (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: pandeesh
4 Replies

8. AIX

filemon with no filenames...

i excuted filemon with filemon -u -o /tmp/filemon.out -O all;sleep 60; trcstop. everything is ok, but i only get PID for filenames in Most Active Files. is there any different flags i need to use to get filenames? Code tags please, thanks. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: curtis911
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to add backslashes to end of certain lines of text

I'd like to write up notes in a relatively readable format and then use a shell script to add LaTeX formatting. Specifically, I'm trying to figure out how to add the LaTeX newline character (\\) to the end of lines without \begin{} or \end{} statements example notes file: \begin{enumerate} --... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: icskittles
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Parsing FileNames

Hi, Its been a long time since I've done any shell scripting and I need some help here. Thanks in advance... I need this as a bourne or csh script running under SCO. In a folder I have a list of Backup files named with "TarBackup plus a date and time component suffix" like this; ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: stanlyn
2 Replies
OSPCAT(1)							     Reference								 OSPCAT(1)

NAME
ospcat - SGML print catalog SYNOPSIS
ospcat [-b name] [--bctf=name] [-C] [--catalogs] [-c sysid] [--catalog=sysid] [-f] [--error-file=file] [-D directory] [--directory=directory] [-R] [--restricted] [-v] [-h] [--help] [-P literal] [--public-id=literal] [-S literal] [--system_id=literal] [-p name] [--parameter-entity=name] [-d name] [--doctype=name] [-l name] [--linktype=name] [-e name] [--entity=name] [-n name] [--notation=name] [-s name] [--declaration=name] DESCRIPTION
ospcat prints effective system identifiers found in the catalogs on the standard output. It doesn't check that the system identifiers correspond to actual files. The return value is 0 if the last system identifier was successfully created and 1 otherwise. OPTIONS
The following options are available: -b name, --bctf=name Use bctf name for output. -f file, --error-file=file Append error messages to file file. -v, --version Display the program version. -h, --help Show this help text. -c sysid, --catalog=sysid Use catalog sysid. -C, --catalogs Arguments are catalogs, use DOCUMENT entry. -D directory, --directory=directory Search files in directory directory. -R, --restricted Restrict file reading (for use in Web apps). -P literal, --public-id=literal Print the effective system id for the public id literal. -S literal, --system-id=literal Print the effective system id for system id literal. -p name, --parameter-entity=name Print the effective system id for parameter entity name. -d name, --doctype=name Print the effective system id for the doctype name. -l name, --linktype=name Print the effective system id for the linktype name. -e name, --entity=name Print the effective system id for entity name. -n name, --notation=name Print the effective system id for notation name. -s name, --declaration=name Print the effective system id for the SGML declaration for doctype name. SEE ALSO
onsgmls(1), ospam(1), onsgmlnorm(1), ospent(1) AUTHOR
Ian Castle <ian.castle@openjade.org> Author. COPYRIGHT
OpenSP September 2003 OSPCAT(1)