Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Convert UTF-8 encoded hex value to a character Post 302252027 by sumirmehta on Tuesday 28th of October 2008 03:55:40 PM
Old 10-28-2008
Hi fpmurphy, thanks for the response.
can u pls elaborate on how and what locale do is set ? i am operating on solaris 5.8 OS.

also this is a part of the bigger problem. Actually i am transmitting the above character through a email message. so i extract this message from the mail server in unix, and decode it. What happens here is that the character is decoded as (Å´), which is actually 0xC5B4 annoted in ascii ( 0xC5 = Å, 0xB4 = ´).

So i want to take these (Å´) and convert to (Ŵ) directly or via their hex value (\xC5B4).

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

Howto convert Ascii -> UTF-8 & back C++

While working with russian text under FreeBSD&MySQL I need to convert a string from MySQL to the Unicode format. I've just started my way in C++ under FreeBSD , so please explain me how can I get ascii code of Char variable and also how can i get a character into variable with the specified ascii... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: macron
3 Replies

2. Red Hat

Can't convert 7bit ASCII to UTF-8

Hello, I am trying to convert a 7bit ASCII file to UTF-8. I have used iconv before though it can't recognize it for some reason and says unknown file encoding. When I used ascii2uni package with different package, ./ascii2uni -a K -a I -a J -a X test_file > new_test_file It still... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rockf1bull
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to modify character to UTF-8 in shell script?

I have a shell script running to load some data from a text file to database. Text file contains some non-ASCII characters like ü. How can i convert these characters to UTF-8 codes before loading to DB. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: vel4ever
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Convert hex to decimal

can someone help me in converting hex streams to decimal values using perl script Hex value: $my_hex_stream="0c07ac14001676"; Every hex value in the above stream should be converted in to decimal and separated by comma. The output should be: 12,07,172,20,00,22,118 (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Arun_Linux
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Issue with UTF-8 BOM character in text file

Sometimes we recieve some excel files containing French/Japanese characters over the mail, and these files are manually transferred to the server by using SFTP (security is not a huge concern here). The data is changed to text format before transferring it using Notepad. Problem is: When saving... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jawsnnn
4 Replies

6. Linux

Help to Convert file from UNIX UTF-8 to Windows UTF-16

Hi, I have tried to convert a UTF-8 file to windows UTF-16 format file as below from unix machine unix2dos < testing.txt | iconv -f UTF-8 -t UTF-16 > out.txt and i am getting some chinese characters as below which l opened the converted file on windows machine. LANG=en_US.UTF-8... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: phanidhar6039
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Trying to convert utf-8 to WINDOWS-1251

Hello all i have utf-8 file that i try to convert to WINDOWS-1251 on linux without any success the file name is utf-8 when i try to do : file -bi test.txt it gives me : text/plain; charset=utf-8 when i try to convert the file i do : /usr/bin/iconv -f UTF-8 -t WINDOWS-1251 test.txt >... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: umen
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

UTF-8,16,32 character lengths using awk

Hi All, I am trying to obtain count of characters using awk, but "length" function returns a value of 1 for 2-byte or 3-byte characters as well unlike wc -c command. I have tried to use the below commands within awk function, but it does not seem to work { cmd="wc -c "stringtocheck ( cmd )... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: tostay2003
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Convert UTF-8 file to ASCII/ISO8859-1 OR replace characters

I am trying to develop a script which will work on a source UTF-8 file and perform one or more of the following It will accept the target encoding as an argument e.g. US-ASCII or ISO-8859-1, etc 1. It should replace all occurrences of characters outside target character set by " " (space) or... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: hemkiran.s
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Convert files to UTF-8 on AIX 7.1

Dears, I have a shell script - working perfectly on Oracle Linux - that detects the encoding (the charset to be exact) of the files in a specified directory using the "file" command (The file command outputs the charset in Linux, but doesn't do that in AIX), then if the file isn't a UTF-8 text... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: JeanM-1
4 Replies
ERROR_LOG(3)								 1							      ERROR_LOG(3)

error_log - Send an error message to the defined error handling routines

SYNOPSIS
bool error_log (string $message, [int $message_type], [string $destination], [string $extra_headers]) DESCRIPTION
Sends an error message to the web server's error log or to a file. PARAMETERS
o $message - The error message that should be logged. o $message_type - Says where the error should go. The possible message types are as follows: error_log(3) log types +--+---------------------------------------------------+ |0 | | | | | | | $message is sent to PHP's system logger, using | | | the Operating System's system logging mechanism | | | or a file, depending on what the error_log con- | | | figuration directive is set to. This is the | | | default option. | | | | |1 | | | | | | | $message is sent by email to the address in the | | | $destination parameter. This is the only message | | | type where the fourth parameter, $extra_headers | | | is used. | | | | |2 | | | | | | | No longer an option. | | | | |3 | | | | | | | $message is appended to the file $destination. A | | | newline is not automatically added to the end of | | | the $message string. | | | | |4 | | | | | | | $message is sent directly to the SAPI logging | | | handler. | | | | +--+---------------------------------------------------+ o $destination - The destination. Its meaning depends on the $message_type parameter as described above. o $extra_headers - The extra headers. It's used when the $message_type parameter is set to 1. This message type uses the same internal function as mail(3) does. RETURN VALUES
Returns TRUE on success or FALSE on failure. NOTES
Warning error_log(3) is not binary safe. $message will be truncated by null character. Tip $message should not contain null character. Note that $message may be sent to file, mail, syslog, etc. Use appropriate conver- sion/escape function, base64_encode(3), rawurlencode(3) or addslashes(3) before calling error_log(3). EXAMPLES
Example #1 error_log(3) examples <?php // Send notification through the server log if we can not // connect to the database. if (!Ora_Logon($username, $password)) { error_log("Oracle database not available!", 0); } // Notify administrator by email if we run out of FOO if (!($foo = allocate_new_foo())) { error_log("Big trouble, we're all out of FOOs!", 1, "operator@example.com"); } // another way to call error_log(): error_log("You messed up!", 3, "/var/tmp/my-errors.log"); ?> CHANGELOG
+--------+---------------------------------------------------+ |Version | | | | | | | Description | | | | +--------+---------------------------------------------------+ | 5.2.7 | | | | | | | The possible value of 4 was added to $mes- | | | sage_type. | | | | +--------+---------------------------------------------------+ PHP Documentation Group ERROR_LOG(3)