Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris gcc -3.4.6 solaris installation error Post 302251970 by sonu2die4 on Tuesday 28th of October 2008 12:46:59 PM
Old 10-28-2008
gcc -3.4.6 solaris installation error

Hi ,
I am installing gcc 3.4.6 on SunOS labcvs001sm 5.9 Generic_117171-07 sun4u sparc

SUNW,Ultra-5_10 . The isa info is 'sparcv'.

I have the following with me
a)gcc-3.4.6.tar
b)gcc-3.4.6-sol9-sparc-local
c)libiconv-1.11-sol9-sparc-local
d) binutils-2.18.tar.gz
e) make-3.81-sol9-sparc-local

1.I start by untarring gcc-3.4.6.tar with the command gtar xvf gcc-3.4.6.tar
2.I then gunzip and add the 'gcc-3.4.6-sol9-sparc-local' and 'libiconv-1.11-sol9

-sparc-local'

pkgadd -d gcc-3.4.6-sol9-sparc-local
pkgadd -d libiconv-1.11-sol9-sparc-local

3.I then update the pathvariable to

export PATH=/usr/local/bin:$PATH
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/lib:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH

4.After this I go to 'gcc-3.4.6' Dirctory.

5.IN this directory I do mkdir ObjectDir

6.Now in 'gcc-3.4.6' Dirctory I run ./configure

7. After the configure is successful say make in 'gcc-3.4.6' Directory

8.After some time I get this error

make[1]: Entering directory `/(my temp directory for installation )/gcc-

3.4.6/libiberty'
rm -f libiberty.a pic/libiberty.a
ar rc libiberty.a \
regex.o cplus-dem.o cp-demangle.o cp-demint.o md5.o alloca.o argv.o

choose-temp.o concat.o dyn-string.o fdmatch.o fibheap.o floatformat.o fnmatch.o

getopt.o getopt1.o getpwd.o getruntime.o hashtab.o hex.o lbasename.o lrealpath.o

make-relative-prefix.o make-temp-file.o objalloc.o obstack.o partition.o

physmem.o pex-unix.o safe-ctype.o sort.o spaces.o splay-tree.o strerror.o

strsignal.o ternary.o xatexit.o xexit.o xmalloc.o xmemdup.o xstrdup.o xstrerror.o

asprintf.o mempcpy.o mkstemps.o setenv.o sigsetmask.o stpcpy.o stpncpy.o

vasprintf.o
make[1]: ar: Command not found
make[1]: *** [libiberty.a] Error 127
make[1]: Leaving directory `/(my temp directory for installation)/gcc-

3.4.6/libiberty'
make: *** [all-libiberty] Error 2

Any help is very deeply appreciated
Regards
//Vivek

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

gcc installation

hi , iam trying to install gcc compiler on a sun sparc sytem running solaris 9 . i have searched the internet for documentaion on how to install gcc , but the steps are unclear . could anyone help me with a document , because the documentaions i found are really confusing . thank you... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: itspascal
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

gcc installation in solaris 8

Hi, I am having trouble installing gcc 3.4.2-sol8-sparc-local in my sparc machine running solaris 8. It looks like I do not have enough memory in /var , but I have about 3GB free memory in /export/home. I have read some suggestion from previous threads that said it is possible to link /var and... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: prosper
8 Replies

3. Solaris

Installation error Solaris 10

Hi there, new to unix/linux, please excuse me! I am trying to install Solaris 10 on a machine, and after some teething problems (on another thread) I have got so far with the installation and am now getting an different error: Warning Error : The Solaris CD/DVD you inserted is not compatible... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gavin watson
3 Replies

4. Solaris

gcc -3.4.6 installation help

Hi, I want to install the gcc-3.4.6 on solaris 9.5 , in order to compile perl 5.8.8 . I have the following packages . gcc-3.4.6.tar ibiconv-1.11-sol9-sparc-local.gz gcc-3.4.6-sol9-sparc-local libiconv-1.11.tar.gz Where can I find the necessary documents or... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sonu2die4
4 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

GCC installation

I was informed that one should have a strong c programming background in order to do a proper compile of GCC. I am of the opinion that having such a background would be helpful but not entirely necessary. What do you think? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mjl927
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

GCC installation .

I m trying to Install FTP (vsftpd-2.3.2) on my linux machine. # lsb_release -a LSB Version: :core-3.1-ia32:core-3.1-noarch:graphics-3.1-ia32:graphics-3.1-noarch Distributor ID: EnterpriseEnterpriseServer Description: Enterprise Linux Enterprise Linux Server release 5.2 (Carthage)... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: pinga123
7 Replies

7. Programming

gcc symbol reference error in Solaris

Hi there, Honestly i'm not much of a code guy but i found some short piece of code over the net which i need to compile in my Solaris machine (in order to change my hostid). As far as i read - i need to use the gcc to compile this short text file making it an executable file. My problem is... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: avisht
0 Replies

8. Solaris

Solaris Installation Error please help

Hello, My Solaris 10 on VMWare Workstation crashed and was giving me so many errors i decided to re install it but after selecting the type of Solaris installation this error comes up: Warning: /pci@0,0/pci15ad,79011/pci15ad,770@3 (echi0): No SOF interrupts have been recieved, this USB EHCI... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: runell
0 Replies

9. Solaris

Solaris 10 flash installation - fatal error. Solaris installation program exited.

Not very helpful to say the least. Seems to read the flar file and go through the upgrade and then come up with this error. Any ideas? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: psychocandy
1 Replies
install-solaris(1M)													       install-solaris(1M)

NAME
install-solaris - install the Solaris operating system SYNOPSIS
install-solaris install-solaris invokes the Solaris Install program. Depending on graphical capability and available memory at the time of invocation, install-solaris invokes either a text-based installer or a graphical installer. The following minimum requirements for physical memory dictate which features are available during installation: For SPARC machines: 128 MB Minimum physical memory for all installation types 128 MB Minimum physical memory required for windowing system 384 MB Minimum physical memory required for graphical-based installation For x86 machines: 256 MB Minimum physical memory for all installation types 256 MB Minimum physical memory required for windowing system 512 MB Minimum physical memory required for graphical-based installation In some cases, even if the minimum physical memory is present, available virtual memory after system startup can limit the number of fea- tures available. install-solaris exists only on the Solaris installation media (CD or DVD) and should be invoked only from there. Refer to the for more details. install-solaris allows installation of the operating system onto any standalone system. install-solaris loads the software available on the installation media. Refer to the for disk space requirements. Refer to the for more information on the various menus and selections. See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcdrom (Solaris instal- | | |lation media) | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Evolving | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ pkginfo(1), install(1M), pkgadd(1M), attributes(5) It is advisable to exit install-solaris by means of the exit options in the install-solaris menus. 23 Sep 2005 install-solaris(1M)