Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: smart script?
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting smart script? Post 302251927 by otheus on Tuesday 28th of October 2008 11:19:54 AM
Old 10-28-2008
Not a bad idea, but if you're going to do much of this thing, and it means a lot to your business, you should get something like ganglia, nagios, or zenoss. I have the most experience with nagios. Emails like this act as expected. After a while, certain events will become "Escalated" and reach you by pager, etc.

As far as the script above, it's okay, but it doesn't take into account the fact that at 12:56 the server stops, and at 13:00, you get an "hourly" reminder when you didn't get the first one. Better to create files and use the file's timestamp to determine if it's time to remind again.

4 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

smart question

eg. : there is a file - 322 bytes, how can I (or you) view just a half of file (161 bytes)? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: zylwyz
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Smart Backup Script

Hello Im pretty new to scripting in linux but am keen to learn. I'm trying to create a backup script similar to a batch script I developed for windows (dos) where the backup is to a usb drive. no problems with the backup process but what I would like to do is automatically remove old files if... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: TheGacko
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Explain the difference between the commands cd ~smart and cd ~/smart

Is it possible for both commands to work? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: phunkypants
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need smart script !

Hi, I need a script to assign variables the below paths /appl/user_projects/domains/<xxx>/servers/<yyy>/logs Where <xxx> can be any number and name of directories. <yyy> can be another set of any number of names and directories. I want to neglect all the <xxx> and <yyy>... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohtashims
3 Replies
INSTALLSIEVE(1) 					      General Commands Manual						   INSTALLSIEVE(1)

NAME
installsieve - user utility for managing sieve scripts SYNOPSIS
installsieve DESCRIPTION
installsieve is a utility that allows users to manage their sieve scripts kept on the server. OPTIONS
-v <name> View script with the given name. The script if retrieved sucessfully is output to standard output. -l List all of the scripts currently on the server. If one of the scripts is active a arrow is printed indicating that it is the active script. -p <port> Port to connect to. If left off this defaults to "sieve" as defined in /etc/services. -i <file> Install a file onto the server. If a script with the same name already exists on the server it is overwritten. Upon sucessfully putting the script on the server the script is set active. If <file> has the extension .script it is chopped when put on the server since sieve names may not contain a '.'. -a <name> Set <name> as the active script. The list of available names can be obtained from the '-l' option.. -d <name> Delete the sieve script on the server with <name>. -m <mechanism> Force installsieve to use <mechanism> for authentication. If not specified the strongest authentication mechanism is chosen. -g <name> Get the sieve script with <name> and save it to disk with a ".script" extension. If a file with that name already exists it is overwritten. -u <user> Userid/Authname to use for authentication; by default, the current user. CMU
Project Cyrus INSTALLSIEVE(1)