Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux How to create file on Linux using environment variable in the dirpath Post 302251892 by jim mcnamara on Tuesday 28th of October 2008 10:17:15 AM
Old 10-28-2008
system.getenv() retruns the value of an environment variable. I don't think properties files are guaranteed convey the value of variables like that.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

create a new environment variable??

Hi, I have say two programs File1: echo Enter A's Value read A export A File2: while do echo $A sleep 5 done (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pbsrinivas
1 Replies

2. IP Networking

regarding tracking file updates on linux networking environment

could anyone Explain me with how the linux o/s keeps track of file updates in network environment? for example, assume that more than one computer is connected to network (with linux in all of them). if an user say 'X' logged into terminal 1 and created a file with the name of 'temp.txt'. The... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pjchoudary
1 Replies

3. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

regarding tracking file updates on linux networking environment

could anyone Explain me with how the linux o/s keeps track of file updates in network environment? for example, assume that more than one computer is connected to network (with linux in all of them). if an user say 'X' logged into terminal 1 and created a file with the name of 'temp.txt'. The... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pjchoudary
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Setting Environment variable from value in file

I've searched Google and now this forum. Best guess is my search fu is not good (and it probably isn't). The Google search did bring me here. Background I have a number of Korn Shell scripts who all use one of 3 values for an environment variable used in the backup system. On occasion one or... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: WolfBrother
8 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Set Environment variable from another file

Hi, i have the following env variable. currently i am exporting variable in the same script file. but i need this is in a text file and the scripts need to export this variable from the text file. can you please suggest me. is it possible. export... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: rsivasan
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Expand an environment variable in sed, when the variable contains a slash

I'm trying to make a sed substitution where the substitution pattern is an environment variable to be expanded, but the variable contains a "slash". sed -e 's/<HOME_DIRECTORY>/'$HOME'/'This gives me the following error: sed: -e expression #1, char 21: unknown option to `s'Obviously this is... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ilja
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

setting a environment variable on linux

I want to set a enviroment variable VDC_DIR to a particular directory. I am doing it as export VDC_DIR=/abc it gets set but when i logout and do relogin than its not there. one way could be setting it in .profile file. but i have seen it on another box where it is not present in... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jcpratap
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Resolving the environment variable from a file

Hi, I an having some environment variables exported and the variable name is present in the file. But its not resolving with following commands. Can someone throw some light. db $ grep -v "^#" TD_FWK_NUCLEUS.dbc | grep -v "^$" | xargs -i echo {} wb_bin: ${TD_FWK_NUCLEUS_DBC_WB_BIN_TAG} I... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mohammed Rafi
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to change Linux Terminal environment variable in a perl or bash script?

Hi, I meet an problem that it cannot change Terminal environment variable in a perl or bash script. This change can only exist and become effective in script lifetime. But I want to make this change take effect in current opened Terminal. In our view, the thought seems to be impossible, As... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: weichanghe2000
9 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Environment variable substitution in Linux make

I know that I can do this in bash ver=${VERSION:-$DEFVERSION} so ver is $VERSION if it's set but $DEFVERSION if $VERSION isn't set I want to do the same thing as a macro in a Makefile and can't get it to work - maybe something like... VER=$(shell ${$(VERSION):-$(DEFVERSION)}) Any help... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: JerryHone
1 Replies
getenv(3)						     Library Functions Manual							 getenv(3)

Name
       getenv, setenv, unsetenv  - manipulate environment variables

Syntax
       char *getenv(name)
       char *name;

setenv(name, value, overwrite)
       char *name, value;
       int overwrite;

void unsetenv(name)
       char *name;

Description
       The  subroutine	searches  the  environment  list for a string of the form name = value and returns a pointer to the string value if such a
       string is present, otherwise returns the value 0 (NULL).  For further information, see

The subroutine searches the environment list in the same manner as If the string name is not found, a string  of  the  form  name=value	is
       added  to  the environment.  If it is found, and overwrite is non-zero, its value is changed to value.  The subroutine returns 0 on success
       and -1 on failure, where failure is caused by an inability to allocate space for the environment.

The subroutine removes all occurrences of the string name from the environment.	There is no library provision for completely removing  the
       current environment.  It is suggested that the following code be used to do so.
       static char     *envinit[1];
       extern char     **environ;
       environ = envinit;
       All of these routines permit, but do not require, a trailing equals sign (=) on name or a leading equals sign on value.

See Also
	csh(1), sh(1), execve(2), putenv(3), environ(7)

getenv(3)