Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Awk Compare File1 File2 on f2 Post 302251492 by danmero on Monday 27th of October 2008 09:34:57 AM
Old 10-27-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by RacerX
.. i really don't want to mess-up my 743,000 record database file, with something like:
Always backup your working file.

Quote:
Code:
FNR==NR { arr[$2]=$1; next}
$2 in arr { print arr[$1], $0 }

This will print only if $2 is in arr.

Quote:
Code:
if (field1 of file2) == (field2 of file1) then   #why you need this test?
awk -F: 'FNR == NR {
 { f1[$2]=$1 $2                                  # why you need the value of $2
  next;
  }
if ($2 in f1) print  f1[$1]$0; else print $0
}
' ~/Desktop/file2.txt ~/Desktop/file1.txt > ~/Desktop/outputfile.txt

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Awk Compare f1,f2,f3 of File1 with f1 of File2

I have an Awk string-compare problem and have searched the internet and forums for a solution i could use but cannot find a solution i understand to make work with my particular problem: I need to compare (field1 field2 field3 of File1) against (field1 of File2) and if they match print out... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: RacerX
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk - replacing stings in file1 with column1 in file2

Hello, I've never used awk before, but from what I've read, it will best suit what I'm trying to do. I have 2 files. I need to replace strings in file1 with the first column of a matching string in file2. Below are examples: File1: random-string1 1112 1232 3213 2131 random-string2... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: upstate_boy
7 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

AWK: Pattern match between 2 files, then compare a field in file1 as > or < field in file2

First, thanks for the help in previous posts... couldn't have gotten where I am now without it! So here is what I have, I use AWK to match $1 and $2 as 1 string in file1 to $1 and $2 as 1 string in file2. Now I'm wondering if I can extend this AWK command to incorporate the following: If $1... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: right_coaster
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

if matching strings in file1 and file2, add column from file1 to file2

I have very limited coding skills but I'm wondering if someone could help me with this. There are many threads about matching strings in two files, but I have no idea how to add a column from one file to another based on a matching string. I'm looking to match column1 in file1 to the number... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pathunkathunk
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

[awk] split file1 and save it as var from file2

I have 2 files: file_1: file_2: expected result: name file: "artV1" "artV2" etc. I have: but why don;t work save to file 'out'?? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ffresz
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Looking for lines, which is present in file1 but not in file2 using UNIX and awk

I have 2 files with 7 fields and i want to print the lines which is present in file1 but not in file2 based on field1 and field2. Logic: I want to print all the lines, where there is a particular column1 and column2. And we do not find the set of column1 and column2 in file2. Example: "sc2/10... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: NamS
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare and find records of file1 not in file2

hi.. i am using solaris system and ksh and using nawk to get records of file1 not in file2(not line by line comparison). code i am using is nawk 'NR==FNR{a++} !a {print"line:" FNR"->" $0} ' file2 file1 same command with awk runs perfectly on darwin kernel(mac) but in solaris it does line by... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Abhiraj Singh
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Compare file1 and file2, print matching lines in same order as file1

I want to print only the lines in file2 that match file1, in the same order as they appear in file 1 file1 file2 desired output: I'm getting the lines to match awk 'FNR==NR {a++}; FNR!=NR && a' file1 file2 but they are in sorted order, which is not what I want: Can anyone... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: pathunkathunk
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to search field2 in file2 using range of fields file1 and using match to another field in file1

I am trying to use awk to find all the $2 values in file2 which is ~30MB and tab-delimited, that are between $2 and $3 in file1 which is ~2GB and tab-delimited. I have just found out that I need to use $1 and $2 and $3 from file1 and $1 and $2of file2 must match $1 of file1 and be in the range... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to update field in file2 if not the same as file1

Trying to use awk to: update $2 in file2 with the $2 value in file1, if $1 in file1 matches $13 in file2, which is tab-delimeted. The $2values may already be the same so in that case nothing happens and the next line is processed. There are exactly 4,605 unique $13 values. Thank you :). ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
4 Replies