Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers How to replace special chars like " ' " (Apostrophe) Post 302251326 by onculo on Sunday 26th of October 2008 09:11:49 PM
Old 10-26-2008
oh my gosh! Smilie i really learnt something new! i have googled 2 days, found nothin' .
but can you explain why, if possible?

thx dan-e Smilie

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing " " chars using Awk

HI Friends, I am trying to elliminate the " " characters from the word: "hello" using awk. I need the output to be just = hello (without " " chars). Is there any way to do this ? Thanks! (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vijaya2006
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Question about special variables: "-" and "$_"

both ksh/bash support this 2 special variables, Is there any document for reference? 1) "-" is $OLDPWD 2) "$_" is last argument of previous command. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: honglus
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to replace "®" "™" "with Spaces in UNIX

do U know how to replace the registered trademark "®" symbol or trade Mark "™" "with Spaces in UNIX (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: MMeari
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete chars after dot "."

Hi, I require to delete all characters after a dot "." from a string. For e.g. input_var="/home/dips/file_1_20100726.txt.gz /home/dips/file_2_20100726.txt.gz /home/dips/file_3_20100726.txt.gz" output_var="/home/dips/file_1_20100726 /home/dips/file_2_20100726... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dips_ag
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk command to replace ";" with "|" and ""|" at diferent places in line of file

Hi, I have line in input file as below: 3G_CENTRAL;INDONESIA_(M)_TELKOMSEL;SPECIAL_WORLD_GRP_7_FA_2_TELKOMSEL My expected output for line in the file must be : "1-Radon1-cMOC_deg"|"LDIndex"|"3G_CENTRAL|INDONESIA_(M)_TELKOMSEL"|LAST|"SPECIAL_WORLD_GRP_7_FA_2_TELKOMSEL" Can someone... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: shis100
7 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

replace "," with "." only in specific columns of a file?

Hi all, I have this text file containing 9 columns separated by space. The 8th columns contains the numbers. C1 C2 C3 C4 C5 C6 C7 C8 C9 er rt yt gh iu nk il 0.07 xs yt lr ty bg iu zk nh 0,0005 lt ...etc. I want to replace the comma with full stop only in 8th coloumn. the output... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Unilearn
8 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

"set variable with spaces and apostrophe after s"

Hi Guys, I have a variable such that: set x = (Session,Date,Type,Receive Coil Name,Manufacturer,Manufacturer's Model Name) foreach i ($x) echo $i end I would like to read each variable one by one like: Session Date Type Receive Coil Name Manufacturer Manufacturer's Model Name Is... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dixits
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash script - Print an ascii file using specific font "Latin Modern Mono 12" "regular" "9"

Hello. System : opensuse leap 42.3 I have a bash script that build a text file. I would like the last command doing : print_cmd -o page-left=43 -o page-right=22 -o page-top=28 -o page-bottom=43 -o font=LatinModernMono12:regular:9 some_file.txt where : print_cmd ::= some printing... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jcdole
1 Replies
GIT-REPLACE(1)							    Git Manual							    GIT-REPLACE(1)

NAME
git-replace - Create, list, delete refs to replace objects SYNOPSIS
git replace [-f] <object> <replacement> git replace -d <object>... git replace -l [<pattern>] DESCRIPTION
Adds a replace reference in .git/refs/replace/ The name of the replace reference is the SHA1 of the object that is replaced. The content of the replace reference is the SHA1 of the replacement object. Unless -f is given, the replace reference must not yet exist in .git/refs/replace/ directory. Replacement references will be used by default by all git commands except those doing reachability traversal (prune, pack transfer and fsck). It is possible to disable use of replacement references for any command using the --no-replace-objects option just after git. For example if commit foo has been replaced by commit bar: $ git --no-replace-objects cat-file commit foo shows information about commit foo, while: $ git cat-file commit foo shows information about commit bar. The GIT_NO_REPLACE_OBJECTS environment variable can be set to achieve the same effect as the --no-replace-objects option. OPTIONS
-f If an existing replace ref for the same object exists, it will be overwritten (instead of failing). -d Delete existing replace refs for the given objects. -l <pattern> List replace refs for objects that match the given pattern (or all if no pattern is given). Typing "git replace" without arguments, also lists all replace refs. BUGS
Comparing blobs or trees that have been replaced with those that replace them will not work properly. And using git reset --hard to go back to a replaced commit will move the branch to the replacement commit instead of the replaced commit. There may be other problems when using git rev-list related to pending objects. And of course things may break if an object of one type is replaced by an object of another type (for example a blob replaced by a commit). SEE ALSO
git-tag(1) git-branch(1) git(1) GIT
Part of the git(1) suite Git 1.7.10.4 11/24/2012 GIT-REPLACE(1)