Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers How to replace special chars like " ' " (Apostrophe) Post 302251322 by onculo on Sunday 26th of October 2008 08:13:21 PM
Old 10-26-2008
Question How to replace special chars like " ' " (Apostrophe)

I'm goin to drive crazy soon, if i can not do this. I have a text file (570kb) and i have to replace the apostrophe " ' " and minus "-" with space " ". i have done it for minus:

sed 's/-/ /g' aaa.txt >zzz.txt

this replaced minus with space.

but i can not use the same command for ' .

sed 's/'/ /g' aaa.txt >zzz.txt

does not work, Smilie i need help, i think Smilie

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing " " chars using Awk

HI Friends, I am trying to elliminate the " " characters from the word: "hello" using awk. I need the output to be just = hello (without " " chars). Is there any way to do this ? Thanks! (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vijaya2006
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Question about special variables: "-" and "$_"

both ksh/bash support this 2 special variables, Is there any document for reference? 1) "-" is $OLDPWD 2) "$_" is last argument of previous command. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: honglus
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to replace "®" "™" "with Spaces in UNIX

do U know how to replace the registered trademark "®" symbol or trade Mark "™" "with Spaces in UNIX (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: MMeari
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete chars after dot "."

Hi, I require to delete all characters after a dot "." from a string. For e.g. input_var="/home/dips/file_1_20100726.txt.gz /home/dips/file_2_20100726.txt.gz /home/dips/file_3_20100726.txt.gz" output_var="/home/dips/file_1_20100726 /home/dips/file_2_20100726... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dips_ag
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk command to replace ";" with "|" and ""|" at diferent places in line of file

Hi, I have line in input file as below: 3G_CENTRAL;INDONESIA_(M)_TELKOMSEL;SPECIAL_WORLD_GRP_7_FA_2_TELKOMSEL My expected output for line in the file must be : "1-Radon1-cMOC_deg"|"LDIndex"|"3G_CENTRAL|INDONESIA_(M)_TELKOMSEL"|LAST|"SPECIAL_WORLD_GRP_7_FA_2_TELKOMSEL" Can someone... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: shis100
7 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

replace "," with "." only in specific columns of a file?

Hi all, I have this text file containing 9 columns separated by space. The 8th columns contains the numbers. C1 C2 C3 C4 C5 C6 C7 C8 C9 er rt yt gh iu nk il 0.07 xs yt lr ty bg iu zk nh 0,0005 lt ...etc. I want to replace the comma with full stop only in 8th coloumn. the output... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Unilearn
8 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

"set variable with spaces and apostrophe after s"

Hi Guys, I have a variable such that: set x = (Session,Date,Type,Receive Coil Name,Manufacturer,Manufacturer's Model Name) foreach i ($x) echo $i end I would like to read each variable one by one like: Session Date Type Receive Coil Name Manufacturer Manufacturer's Model Name Is... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dixits
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash script - Print an ascii file using specific font "Latin Modern Mono 12" "regular" "9"

Hello. System : opensuse leap 42.3 I have a bash script that build a text file. I would like the last command doing : print_cmd -o page-left=43 -o page-right=22 -o page-top=28 -o page-bottom=43 -o font=LatinModernMono12:regular:9 some_file.txt where : print_cmd ::= some printing... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jcdole
1 Replies
pdbtxt2html(1)						      General Commands Manual						    pdbtxt2html(1)

NAME
pdbtxt2html - Doc Text to HTML converter for Palm Pilots SYNOPSIS
pdbtxt2html [ -t ] file.txt [ file.html ] pdbtxt2html -v DESCRIPTION
pdbtxt2html converts text converted from a Doc(4) file via txt2pdbdoc(1) to HTML. If no HTML filename is given, the generated HTML is sent to standard output. Document Title The first line of the file is used for the HTML document title. Bookmarks The last line of the file is examined and, if it contains a string enclosed between < and >, that is taken to be the bookmark marker. The entire file is then scanned looking for lines beginning with it (ignoring leading whitespace). These lines are converted to HTML headings. The number of whitespace characters after the first bookmark marker is used for heading level 1. The level of subsequent headings is set to the number of whitespace characters between the bookmark marker and the bookmark text minus the number for the first bookmark plus one. Embedded URLs Valid URLs (according to RFC 1630) embedded in the text are turned into hyperlinks. The ftp, gopher, http, https, mailto, news, telnet, and wais URLs are recognized. OPTIONS
-t Compile a table of contents and insert it between the first heading and the body. -v Print the version number to standard output and exit. EXAMPLE
To convert a Doc file to HTML: txt2pdbdoc alice.pdb alice.txt pdbtxt2html alice.txt alice.html SEE ALSO
html2pdbtxt(1), txt2pdbdoc(1), doc(4), pdb(4) Tim Berners Lee. Universal Resource Identifiers in WWW, Network Working Group of the Internet Engineering Task Force, June 1994. http://info.internet.isi.edu/in-notes/rfc/files/rfc1630.txt AUTHOR
Paul J. Lucas <pauljlucas@mac.com> txt2pdbdoc January 21, 2005 pdbtxt2html(1)