Sponsored Content
Operating Systems AIX How can invoke applications on Windows machine from AIX server Post 302251274 by bakunin on Sunday 26th of October 2008 08:18:17 AM
Old 10-26-2008
Investigate ssh as vbe suggested. ssh can not only create connections between machines (analogous to telnet) but also execute commands on other machines, like rsh/rexec. You will have to find out if Windoze is able to originate commands like his (i have no idea), but if it is this would be a viable way to do it.

The procedure would be:

1. set up ssh on Windows and AIX servers

2. create an ssh-key on the AIX machine and put that into the authorized_keys file on the Windows machine you want to execute commands on. On AIX the file would be ~/.ssh/authorized_keys in the home-directory of the user under whose id the command should be executed. What the analogous file on the Windows-machine is you will have to find out yourself.

3. Try to originate a command on the AIX machine:

ssh user@windows-machine "dir"

If everything works as planned you should get a directory listing from the Windows-server.

I hope this helps.

bakunin

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

executing applications/commands on a unix server from a windows PC

i have a network drive (samba) mounted on to my PC and also i have SSH client on my machine. however i need to run applications/commands on a unix server from the middle of a different executable(windows compatable one). so i need to connect to the unix server from SSH through the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: megastar
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to remotely administer/validate UNIX server via Windows machine?

Hi there--I think this is more of a Windows question, but I think many of you might be able to help me out: I have a UNIX web server and a Windows machine. I'm trying to script the following tasks so that they can be run from the Windows machine (via a batch file): 1. Shutdown web services... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sohungry73
5 Replies

3. IP Networking

Explor the Unix server on Windows Client machine

Hi, I am doin a project that'll work as a normal Explorer on Windows but the best thing is it'll be exploring the content of a UNIX server. The application would be runnin on the windows platform with probably a FTP server on UNIX server. How i should proceed? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ziaullahk
2 Replies

4. Linux

down load file from unix server to Windows machine.

I need to download a script from Unix box to my PC. I don't have FTP installed on that machine and I am not able to connect to the server using ftp <Server Name>. I am not supposed to install any software on the server but still need to download the file. Heard that we have a secured ftp option... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: chandu_kalari
3 Replies

5. Solaris

To invoke a script on a remote machine

Hi, I am trying the following- 1. ftp a file from machine1 to machine2. 2. Once the ftp is done, from machine1 invoke a shell script on machine2. Could anyone please help me on this? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sam_roy
5 Replies

6. AIX

Do I need to configure my local windows to FTP files from local windows to a UNIX AIX server?

Hi Friends, I have this script for ftping files from AIX server to local windows xp. #!/bin/sh HOST='localsystem.net' USER='myid_onlocal' PASSWD='mypwd_onlocal' FILE='file.txt' ##This is a file on server(AIX) ftp -n $HOST <<END_SCRIPT quote USER $USER quote PASS $PASSWD put $FILE... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rajsharma
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

File transfer from Windows machine to Linux server

Hi guys, I need to send a txt file from a windows machine to Linux server. Any help is appreciated.... Thanks... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gowrishankar05
3 Replies

8. Red Hat

Xming Vs ssh connect to RHEL server from Windows machine

I am able to connect a RHEL server from my Windows machine using Putty (via ssh). My question is what is the advantage of using Xming instead of Putty? Is it that Xming would enable a graphical connect from the Windows machine to RHEL server? I hope my question is clear that what is the... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: RHCE
9 Replies

9. IP Networking

How to transfer files from UNIX server to windows machine or vice versa using ftp or sftp commands?

hi, i want to write a shell script code which transfers files from a directory in unix server to a directory in a windows machine.. can any1 give me a sample code which uses ftp or sftp command.. thanks very much, (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Little
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Copy files from Linux server local windows machine using a shell script

Hello, I need to create a shell script which will copy files - which are created on particular date and starting with particular name - to local windows XP machine. Is this possible.? Currently it is being done manually using winscp (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: NarayanaPrakash
1 Replies
SSH-COPY-ID(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 					    SSH-COPY-ID(1)

NAME
ssh-copy-id -- copy public keys to a remote host SYNOPSIS
ssh-copy-id [-lv] [-i keyfile] [-o option] [-p port] [user@]hostname DESCRIPTION
The ssh-copy-id utility copies public keys to a remote host's ~/.ssh/authorized_keys file (creating the file and directory, if required). The following options are available: -i file Copy the public key contained in file. This option can be specified multiple times and can be combined with the -l option. If a private key is specified and a public key is found then the public key will be used. -l Copy the keys currently held by ssh-agent(1). This is the default if the -i option was not specified. -o ssh-option Pass this option directly to ssh(1). This option can be specified multiple times. -p port Connect to the specified port on the remote host instead of the default. -v Pass -v to ssh(1). The remaining arguments are a list of remote hosts to connect to, each one optionally qualified by a user name. EXIT STATUS
The ssh-copy-id utility exits 0 on success, and >0 if an error occurs. EXAMPLES
To send a specific key to multiple hosts: $ ssh-copy-id -i /path/to/keyfile.pub user@host1 user@host2 user@host3 HISTORY
The ssh-copy-id utility was written by Eitan Adler <eadler@FreeBSD.org> as a drop-in replacement for an existing utility included with OpenSSH. BSD
February 28, 2014 BSD