Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Formatting large Ascii file
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Formatting large Ascii file Post 302251042 by jim mcnamara on Friday 24th of October 2008 10:16:08 PM
Old 10-24-2008
You will have to write a dd command or maybe C or perl, something like that. Most Unix tools have a limit to line size.

How is the format supposed to be? We need examples of input and expected output.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How can I ... (Modifying large ASCII files)

Hi Everybody! Situation: I have a large ASCII file (for example: 1-2 Mbytes) without linebreaks (\n). Task: I like inserting linebreaks after all 420 digits (byte). (pattern: *\n*\n*\n...etc.) My problem: How? :-) I like using shell script or (maybe) AWK (short) program. Please,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hviktor
2 Replies

2. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

ASCII file

I've been having trouble trying to read an ASCII file. I'm on an IRIX machine, by the way. I've tried "cat" and I get a bunch of unreadable text, and the "string" command gets the "Command not Found" error. Please advise. Thanks. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sherbet808
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to convert English text file to ASCII File?

file abc abc: English text I want to convert the above into file abc file: ascii text (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: laknar
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

convert ascii values into ascii characters

Hi gurus, I have a file in unix with ascii values. I need to convert all the ascii values in the file to ascii characters. File contains nearly 20000 records with ascii values. (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: sandeeppvk
10 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

ASCII Text formatting

Hi All, I have a requirement to create a formatted text. That is., I have a plain text composed to send it through an Email using mailx. I need to change the formatting of the text like BOLD, ITALIC, UNDERINED, COLOURED, INDENT etc., First of all, is it possible in UNIX? If yes, please let... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohan_kumarcs
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Large volume file formatting

Hi, I have a file which is around 193 gb in size. This file has tonnes of spaces and I need to sanitize it. I tried to use awk script to split this file but it gave me an error like line to long... As of now I am using a sed command to search replace the spaces; however its too slow for such a... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: darshanw
2 Replies

7. Red Hat

Unable to convert EBCDIC file to ASCII file

Hello all, To give you all a little bit of background. We recently migrated from HP-UX to Redhat Linux and one of the command I used to run on HP-UX to convert an EBCDIC file to ASCII file isn't working on Linux. The code is as follow: cat workout2.dat | dd cbs=250 conv=block conv=ascii... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sethmj
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

After Ftp'ing file to destination how to check the file if it is in correct ASCII and not corrupted

Hi Folks, While transferring file from FTP software like Filezilla the files gets corrupted. Is there any way I can check if the recently transferred file is in ASCII and not corrupted. I have tried using file -i filename command which does tell if the file character set is ASCII or binary... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Khan28
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Convert Hex to Ascii in a Ascii file

Hi All, I have an ascii file in which few columns are having hex values which i need to convert into ascii. Kindly suggest me what command can be used in unix shell scripting? Thanks in Advance (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: HemaV
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Convert EBCDIC(.DAT) FILE into ASCII FILE

Hi Team, I am having 100 EBCDIC files (i.e. DAT extension) and need to convert them into ASCII File by unix shell script. I tried with DD Command but its not providing output as expected. Sample Text: ------------------ גהאבדוחס@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@ Expected Output:... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: JSM
2 Replies
FusionInventory::Agent::Tools::Unix(3pm)		User Contributed Perl Documentation		  FusionInventory::Agent::Tools::Unix(3pm)

NAME
FusionInventory::Agent::Tools::Unix - Unix-specific generic functions DESCRIPTION
This module provides some Unix-specific generic functions. FUNCTIONS
getDeviceCapacity(%params) Returns storage capacity of given device, using fdisk. Availables parameters: logger a logger object device the device to use getIpDhcp Returns an hashref of information for current DHCP lease. getFilesystemsFromDf(%params) Returns a list of filesystems as a list of hashref, by parsing given df command output. logger a logger object command the exact command to use file the file to use, as an alternative to the command getFilesystemsTypesFromMount(%params) Returns a list of used filesystems types, by parsing given mount command output. logger a logger object command the exact command to use file the file to use, as an alternative to the command getProcessesFromPs(%params) Returns a list of processes as a list of hashref, by parsing given ps command output. logger a logger object command the exact command to use file the file to use, as an alternative to the command getRoutingTable Returns the routing table as an hashref, by parsing netstat command output. logger a logger object command the exact command to use (default: netstat -nr -f inet) file the file to use, as an alternative to the command perl v5.14.2 2012-06-25 FusionInventory::Agent::Tools::Unix(3pm)