Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Unix Terminal question
Special Forums UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers Unix Terminal question Post 302251004 by Kcahintosh19 on Friday 24th of October 2008 07:03:01 PM
Old 10-24-2008
Unix Terminal question

Hi, I'm new here, but I have a quick small question. I'm sorry if it sounds stupid, but I'm new to the UNIX world after using VMS (or Windows) my entire life. I my Mac runs Leopard, and I was wondering;

My friend me through Mac's "Terminal" you can create and program your own applications by just using the UNIX codes and just in Terminal. Is this true? If it is not, what kind of program or application would I need to make any kind of application?

Thanks in advance. Smilie

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

connecting to unix through hyper terminal - as a dumb terminal

I just changed from windows NT to XP and I am no longer able to connect to my unix system. I used to use hyper terminal -- which acts as dumb terminal to my main frame unix system. I think one of the options used to be "direct to comX". This option isn't listed now. I use a serial port and the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: michelle
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Mac OS X/UNIX/Terminal Question

Hey everyone I'm new to UNIX due to the new Mac OS X operating system and would like some help. I'm trying to send an email via the UNIX-Shell-Terminal i Mac OS X, (it's called darwin) How do I do that? When I enter the Command mail I can send messages to root and with the command -forward... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: onkel
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix terminal protocol

I need to accomodate terminals running off an NCR UNIX SCO server. I need the protocol so I can get the correct S/W image for the router. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: de2934
3 Replies

4. AIX

Need a UNIX terminal to practice... please help!!!

Is there a web site that i can go to and practice my UNIX commands on their browser (terminal mode) or a telnet service that i can login to for free? I don't have a LINUX/UNIX system at home or at work, yet i want to hone my skils. Thanks for all of your help, (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: abhishek27
5 Replies

5. OS X (Apple)

Terminal Question...

I have a file I need to run in Terminal. On my friend's computer it shows up under Get Info as a Unix Executable File, but on my computer it shows it as a Document file and doesn't run in Terminal. It doesn't show a file extension either. I also have a .cmd file it also thinks is a document. both... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bobknob
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Dumb gnome terminal question.

I've searched and searched but either I'm not using the right key words or the information isn't in print anywhere. I'm running Cent 5.3 and I have a number of terminal profiles setup to ssh into some of my Unix servers at work, what I'm trying to do is setup shortcuts on my desktop to those... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: nixnoob
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

A question about terminal

hi, I sealed a linux app in a pc as an embeded device.. I added several users in my linux system, of coz i am the root user...well, after i saled my products to customers, i want my products run like a embeded devices when they connect the system with terminals... i got a way out.. I want to bind... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: macroideal
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

who command from non terminal in unix

I was executing a command "who -ms" from a CHUI application but i get below message, It seems that who command can be executed only when we are logged directly in unix box as we have terminal. Is there a way to get rid of this problem , or anyother command where i can get machine name of the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: lalitpct
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to get Unix terminal in windows

Hi, How to get unix look and feel in windows environment where i can execute basic commands like date and complex usage like awk, sed etc and not much storage space is needed. Is there any software that i can install to use the same? Thanks, (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: i.srini89
3 Replies
File::Spec::Functions(3)				User Contributed Perl Documentation				  File::Spec::Functions(3)

NAME
File::Spec::Functions - portably perform operations on file names SYNOPSIS
use File::Spec::Functions; $x = catfile('a','b'); DESCRIPTION
This module exports convenience functions for all of the class methods provided by File::Spec. For a reference of available functions, please consult File::Spec::Unix, which contains the entire set, and which is inherited by the modules for other platforms. For further information, please see File::Spec::Mac, File::Spec::OS2, File::Spec::Win32, or File::Spec::VMS. Exports The following functions are exported by default. canonpath catdir catfile curdir rootdir updir no_upwards file_name_is_absolute path The following functions are exported only by request. devnull tmpdir splitpath splitdir catpath abs2rel rel2abs case_tolerant All the functions may be imported using the ":ALL" tag. COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 2004 by the Perl 5 Porters. All rights reserved. This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. SEE ALSO
File::Spec, File::Spec::Unix, File::Spec::Mac, File::Spec::OS2, File::Spec::Win32, File::Spec::VMS, ExtUtils::MakeMaker perl v5.16.3 2013-01-16 File::Spec::Functions(3)