Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: How to avoid a temp file
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to avoid a temp file Post 302250779 by vimes on Friday 24th of October 2008 08:10:51 AM
Old 10-24-2008
Hello.

I know this isn't really what you asked for, but it might be easier (less frustrating) to do something like that in Perl:

Code:
#!/usr/bin/env perl

my @output = `df -k / 2>&1`;
if ( $? != 0 ) {
        my $result = "CRITICAL - @output";
}else{
        print @output;
}

Last edited by vimes; 10-24-2008 at 09:12 AM.. Reason: Code fix

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Append to end of each line of file without a temp file.

Hello I am trying to append an incrimenting number to the end of each line I have it working with a temp file. But I want to do this without a temp file. a=1 cat "file" | while read LINE do echo "$LINE, $a" >> filewithnumbers a=`expr $a + 1` ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rorey_breaker
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to Delete temp files and check file system

Hi all, new to the threads as well as Unix/Linux. I need to create a script that will delete any temporary files as well as check the files on the system for errors or corruption. This is what I have so far and I'm sure that I'm missing things or have the wrong commands. I'm not sure where to go... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Bwood1377
3 Replies

3. UNIX and Linux Applications

mail: no space for temp file

I'm trying to read mail but I obtained this message: msgcnt 2446 vxfs: mesg 001: vx_nospace - /dev/vg00/lvol4 file system full (1 block extent) mail: no space for temp file I want to empty my mailbox How could I make this? Regards Leonardo Siza (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: usernamea
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Updating a field in a File without creating temp file's

Hi Experts, I have a requirement where i need to update the below items in file, 1. END TIME 2. PREV_STATUS For the first time the PREV_status and end time of all job the job will be sysdate & NULL reply as below, Session_name,Load Type,Frequency,Seesion End time,Prev_Status... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: prabhutkl
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

find and replace a string in a file without the use of temp file

Hi - I am looking for a replacing a string in a in multiple *.sql files in directory with a new string without using a temporary file Normally I can use sed command as below for W in ls `FILE*.sql` do sed 's/OLD/NEW/g' $W > TEMPFILE.dat mv TEMPFILE.dat $W done But Here in my... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: raghutapal
9 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Joining 3 AWK scripts to avoid use "temp" files

Hi everyone, Looking for a suggestion to improve the below script in which I´ve been working. The thing is I have 3 separated AWK scripts that I need to apply over the inputfile, and for scripts (2) and (3) I have to use a "temp" file as their inputfile (inputfile_temp and inputfile_temp1... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cgkmal
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

I/O Redirection: how can I redirect error msgs to a temp file

Hi there, I just want to know how can I redirect error msgs returned from running a command (e.g. nslookup) and then only print out the correct output using an if statement?. I've tried the following: where $a is a list of IPs. but I got all the error msgs printed out to screen and... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Abdulelah
9 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Lookup on large file based on a temp file

hello guys Please help me with the below issue I have two files one base file another lookupfile base file abc-001 bcd-001 cde-001 Lookupfile abc-001|11|12 abc-001|11|12 abc-001|11|12 (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pratik4891
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Store the name of an extracted file to a temp file

What would be the best way to store the name of an extracted file from a tar to a text file? I want to extract one file from a tar and store the name of the extracted file to a temp file. tar -xvf tar_file.tar file_to_be_extracted (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: erin00
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to avoid the "temp files" in my script?

Hi ! :) I noticed that I create often of temporary files to keep character strings or other and I wish to avoid that if possible ? e.g : #!/bin/bash CONFIG_FILE="conf.cfg" TEMP_HOSTNAME="temp_file1.txt" for IP in `egrep -o '({1,3}\.){3}{1,3}' $CONFIG_FILE` do ssh "$IP"... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Arnaudh78
2 Replies
ustrtok(3alleg4)						  Allegro manual						  ustrtok(3alleg4)

NAME
ustrtok - Retrieves tokens from a string. Allegro game programming library. SYNOPSIS
#include <allegro.h> char *ustrtok(char *s, const char *set); DESCRIPTION
This function retrieves tokens from `s' which are delimited by characters from `set'. To initiate the search, pass the string to be searched as `s'. For the remaining tokens, pass NULL instead. Warning: Since ustrtok alters the string it is parsing, you should always copy the string to a temporary buffer before parsing it. Also, this function is not re-entrant (ie. you cannot parse two strings at the same time). Example: char *word; char string[]="some-words with dashes"; char *temp = ustrdup(string); word = ustrtok(temp, " -"); while (word) { allegro_message("Found `%s' ", word); word = ustrtok(NULL, " -"); } free(temp); RETURN VALUE
Returns a pointer to the token, or NULL if no more are found. SEE ALSO
uconvert(3alleg4), ustrchr(3alleg4), ustrrchr(3alleg4), ustrstr(3alleg4), ustrpbrk(3alleg4), ustrtok_r(3alleg4), allegro_message(3alleg4), ustrncpy(3alleg4), exgui(3alleg4) Allegro version 4.4.2 ustrtok(3alleg4)