Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to search a directory in unix Post 302250742 by fox1212 on Friday 24th of October 2008 07:12:28 AM
Old 10-24-2008
If I understand you, you want to find the directory 'construction' and return its path?

If so, it would be as simple as:

find / -type d -name "construction"

This can take a long time, so if you know where it can be (say under /usr), you can restrict the search:

find /usr ...

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

moving files from a unix directory to a windows directory

Any body any ideas i'm failry new to this so any help would be appreciated. Cheers Steve (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gleads
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix find command to print directory and search string

Hi i need to print pathname in which the string present using 'find' command sample output like this Pathname String to be searched ---------- -------------------- /usr/test/myfile get /opt/test/somefile get Thanks in... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: princein
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Move a file from windows directory to unix directory

Move a file from windows directory to unix directory, is this possible? if it is, can someone help me on this? Thanks! God bless! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kingpeejay
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

File transfer from one directory to another directory in unix

Hi, I have to transfer five files from one directory to another directory in unix with the help of shell scripts. This shell script calling the param file as input parameter. Every day one file will come and fall on my source directory. Remaining files will fall on any one of the day of the... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: easterraj
5 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

search for a pattern in a directory?

Hi, i need help on how to do this: to make a shell script that reads 2 parameters in command line, one directory and pattern. Then it must search for the string in all files starting from the indicated directory (including subfolders) and excluding binary files. The results should show the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ubu-user
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Checking directory permissions on UNIX directory

Hi, How do i check if I have read/write/execute rights on a UNIX directory? What I'm doing is checking read access on the files but i also want to check if user has rights on the direcory in whcih these files are present. if then...... And I check if the directory exists by using... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: chetancrsp18
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search in Unix home directory

I have many views in my Linux home dir under different folders mentioned below. Home 1. CCVIEWS 2. views 3. Development 4. testproject : : etc. Now i want to list all the clearcase views in my linux dir in below format to work on other script. 1) user_test_Work1.vws ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: saku
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Change to directory and search some file in that directory in single command

I am trying to do the following task : export ENV=aaa export ENV_PATH=$(cd /apps | ls | grep $ENV) However, it's not working. What's the way to change to directory and search some file in that directory in single command Please help. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: saurau
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

To do directory tree search

Hello Everyone, I need to find the file / directory with the maximum timestamp in a directory tree having many files / directories. Could you please help. Thanks, H squared (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: H squared
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Extract directory name from the full directory path in UNIX using shell scripting

My input is as below : /splunk/scrubbed/rebate/IFIND.REBTE.WROC.txt /splunk/scrubbed/rebate/IFIND.REBTE.WROC.txt /splunk/scrubbed/loyal/IFIND.HELLO.WROC.txt /splunk/scrubbed/triumph/ifind.triumph.txt From the above input I want to extract the file names only . Basically I want to... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: IshuGupta
5 Replies
MBK_WORK_LIB(1) 					     MBK ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES						   MBK_WORK_LIB(1)

NAME
MBK_WORK_LIB - define the mbk working directory SYNOPSYS
c-shell running setenv MBK_WORK_LIB unix path ORIGIN
This software belongs to the ALLIANCE CAD SYSTEM developed by the ASIM team at LIP6 laboratory of Universite Pierre et Marie CURIE, in Paris, France. Web : http://asim.lip6.fr/recherche/alliance/ E-mail : alliance-users@asim.lip6.fr DESCRIPTION
MBK_WORK_LIB sets the directory where are saved the results of an invocation of mbk or genlib. This directory is considered to be, from an mbk point of view, read and write. Also, when a file is searched for reading, the first directory to be looked at is the MBK_WORK_LIB, and then the one defined in MBK_CATA_LIB(1). The unix path argument must be a actually accessible path on your host machine. ERRORS
"mbk_fopen : can't open file 'unix_path/file.xx'" This occurs when either the unix path is irrelevent, or when the file doesn't exist if it is open for reading, or when you don't have the right on the file or directory while trying to write it. EXAMPLE
setenv MBK_WORK_LIB ~fred/crechan/uom SEE ALSO
mbk(3), genlib(1), MBK_CATA_LIB(1). BUG REPORT
This tool is under development at the ASIM department of the LIP6 laboratory. We need your feedback to improve documentation and tools. ASIM
/LIP6 October 1, 1997 MBK_WORK_LIB(1)