Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to split a text after fix character count Post 302250579 by vikash.rastogi on Thursday 23rd of October 2008 06:06:28 PM
Old 10-23-2008
It is not working at all, is there any "fold" command in UNIX? i heared abt it but not confirm.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to split a value according to character position

Hello all, I have a script which picks up a series of large numbers, each of which are actually amalgamations of a series of other numbers. Unfortunately there are no separator characters so I can't use awk -F. I am looking for a way of splitting them into variables according to their... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: michaeltravisuk
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help fix my garbage - File Split Program in Perl

Hi, I have the following, it doesn't work and I know it's crap code. The objective is to split a file with a givin number of codes such as: 01,02,03,...,99 Then return all records with each seperate identifier in a new file. The files being split have lrecl=500, recfm=F, and I... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mkastin
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Count number of occurences of a character in a field defined by the character in another field

Hello, I have a text file with n lines in the following format (9 column fields): Example: contig00012 149606 G C 49 68 60 18 c$cccccacccccccccc^c I need to count the number of lower-case and upper-case occurences in column 9, respectively, of the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: s052866
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

read the text file and print the content character by character..

hello all i request you to give the solution for the following problem.. I want read the text file.and print the contents character by character..like if the text file contains google means..i want to print g go goo goog googl google like this Using unix Shell scripting... without using... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: samupnl
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

split character

how we can split characters of a field? for example if we have a file such like below: ... 20120102 120352.5AM ... i want to get out put like this: ... 2012 01 02 12 03 52.5 AM ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: saeed.soltani
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk - count character count of fields

Hello All, I got a requirement when I was working with a file. Say the file has unloads of data from a table in the form 1|121|asda|434|thesi|2012|05|24| 1|343|unit|09|best|2012|11|5| I was put into a scenario where I need the field count in all the lines in that file. It was simply... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: PikK45
6 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Split a column into multiple columns at certain character count

Hey everyone, I have an issue with a client that is passing me a list of values in one column, and occasionally the combination of all the values results in more than an 255 character string. My DB has a 255 character limit, so I am looking to take the column (comma delimited file), and if it... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: perekl
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finding a certain character in a filename and count the characters up to the certain character

Hello, I do have folders containing having funny strings in their names and one space. First, I do remove the funny strings and replace the space by an underscore. find . -name '* *' | while read file; do target=`echo "$file" | sed 's/... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tempestas
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

File name contains escape character--how to fix?

Assuming the file is supposed to be named Right is actually named: Wrong\033-b option of the ls command. There are a number of other files in that directory which start with Wrong so a move or copy starting with Wrong* isn't an option. Is there a way to identify this file to copy or move it?... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: wbport
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Count specific character of a file in each line and delete this character in a specific position

I will appreciate if you help me here in this script in Solaris Enviroment. Scenario: i have 2 files : 1) /tmp/TRANSACTIONS_DAILY_20180730.txt: 201807300000000004 201807300000000005 201807300000000006 201807300000000007 201807300000000008 2)... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: teokon90
10 Replies
split(3tcl)						       Tcl Built-In Commands						       split(3tcl)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
split - Split a string into a proper Tcl list SYNOPSIS
split string ?splitChars? _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
Returns a list created by splitting string at each character that is in the splitChars argument. Each element of the result list will con- sist of the characters from string that lie between instances of the characters in splitChars. Empty list elements will be generated if string contains adjacent characters in splitChars, or if the first or last character of string is in splitChars. If splitChars is an empty string then each character of string becomes a separate element of the result list. SplitChars defaults to the standard white-space char- acters. EXAMPLES
Divide up a USENET group name into its hierarchical components: split "comp.lang.tcl.announce" . -> comp lang tcl announce See how the split command splits on every character in splitChars, which can result in information loss if you are not careful: split "alpha beta gamma" "temp" -> al {ha b} {} {a ga} {} a Extract the list words from a string that is not a well-formed list: split "Example with {unbalanced brace character" -> Example with {unbalanced brace character Split a string into its constituent characters split "Hello world" {} -> H e l l o { } w o r l d PARSING RECORD-ORIENTED FILES Parse a Unix /etc/passwd file, which consists of one entry per line, with each line consisting of a colon-separated list of fields: ## Read the file set fid [open /etc/passwd] set content [read $fid] close $fid ## Split into records on newlines set records [split $content " "] ## Iterate over the records foreach rec $records { ## Split into fields on colons set fields [split $rec ":"] ## Assign fields to variables and print some out... lassign $fields userName password uid grp longName homeDir shell puts "$longName uses [file tail $shell] for a login shell" } SEE ALSO
join(3tcl), list(3tcl), string(3tcl) KEYWORDS
list, split, string Tcl split(3tcl)