Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Get the latest added part of a text file? Post 302250526 by joeyg on Thursday 23rd of October 2008 03:12:10 PM
Old 10-23-2008
Hammer & Screwdriver What about this?

If the data is appended to the file, then perhaps...
(the following is a rough coding; there are issues with spacing and field layouts known)

analyze data as normal
wc -l mydatafile >mydatafile.last

next time to analyze
newcnt=$(wc -l mydatafile)
lastcnt=$(cat mydatafile.last)
newlines=$(echo $newcnt - $lastcnt | bc)

now, a tail command could provide you with the last lines to review

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Moving part of Text in a file

Hi, I have this text in a file where I need to move part of the text.... <Relation1 OriginatingObjectID="Holding_1" RelatedObjectID="Party_1" id="Relation_1"> <OriginatingObjectType tc="4">Holding</OriginatingObjectType> <RelatedObjectType tc="6">Party</RelatedObjectType>... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mgirinath
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

I want Trailer to be added into the text file.

Hi folks, I want Trailer to be added into the txt file the format is below. flatfile-> abc.txt count of the file is 500 records. I want the trailer in this format: TRAILER|500 (pipe delimeter). Please suggest the comands ASAP. Rgds Ann (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Haque123
5 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Replacing part of a text file with user input.

Ok, I am brand new to UNIX and I am trying to learn a cross between basic script and database use. I had got some ideas off the net on simple ideas for learning UNIX. I am working on creating a simple phone book program that allows myself to enter our employees from work into a phone book text... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: georgefurbee
0 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Moving a part of the text in a file

*************** #some other text ***************** *************** #some other text ***************** address1=1.1.1.1 address2=2.2.2.2 address3=3.3.3.3 I have a file where i need to push all the text starting from address1 till end of file to, below . Can anyone of you... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: srikanthgoodboy
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

extracting part of a text file

Hi guys So I have a very large log file where each event is logged along with the time that it occurred. So for e.g. The contents of the file look like: ... 12:00:07 event 0 happened. 12:01:01 event 1 happened. 12:01:05 event 2 happened. 12:01:30 event 3 happened. 12:02:01 event 4... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: alinaqvi90
10 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove part of a column in a text file

I have a text file with delimiter "|" and sometimes the zipcode is in "5th" column or "6th" column. I want to scan the file and remove the "-2323" from the zipcode which has zip+4 digits From blah|blah|foo|bar||blah|945523-232|USA blah|blah|foo|bar||blah|foo|94555-2323|USA To... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: gubbu
8 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

extract part of text file

I need to extract the following lines from this text and put it in different files. From xxxx@gmail.com Thu Jun 10 21:15:46 2010 Return-Path: <xxxxx@gmail.com> X-Original-To: xxx@localhost Delivered-To:xxxx@localhost Received: from ubuntu (localhost ) by ubuntu (Postfix) with ESMTP... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: waxo
11 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

To display the selected part in text file of unix

0400903071220312 20120322 20:21 1TRANTELSTRAFLEXCAB22032012CMP201323930000812201108875802100A003485363 12122011AUS 182644 000C2 8122011 0000 000 1TRANTELSTRAFLEXCAB22032012CMP201323930000812201108875802100A003485363 12122011AUS ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: rammm
6 Replies

9. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

Renaming part of a text file ?

I have several files that are named like this "DotP_D14 - Verknüpfung" They all have the " - Verknüpfung" in common. I'd like to rename all of them to get rid of that last part. Is this possible with DOS on windows ? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pasc
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Sending mail to multiple recipient added in a text file

I am trying to find a code that can help me mail to a list of recipients which are in a text file. Sample code $cat recipient.txt me@test.com me1@test.com me2@test.com I want a mailx step that can read contents of recipient.txt and mail to all the users. I don't want to use mails... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Gurkamal83
1 Replies
VACUUMDB(1)						  PostgreSQL Client Applications					       VACUUMDB(1)

NAME
vacuumdb - garbage-collect and analyze a PostgreSQL database SYNOPSIS
vacuumdb [ connection-options... ] [ --full | -f ] [ --verbose | -v ] [ --analyze | -z ] [ --table | -t 'table [ ( column [,...] ) ]' ] [ dbname ] vacuumdb [ connection-options... ] [ --all | -a ] [ --full | -f ] [ --verbose | -v ] [ --analyze | -z ] DESCRIPTION
vacuumdb is a utility for cleaning a PostgreSQL database. vacuumdb will also generate internal statistics used by the PostgreSQL query optimizer. vacuumdb is a shell script wrapper around the backend command VACUUM [vacuum(7)] via the PostgreSQL interactive terminal psql(1). There is no effective difference between vacuuming databases via this or other methods. psql must be found by the script and a database server must be running at the targeted host. Also, any default settings and environment variables available to psql and the libpq front-end library do apply. vacuumdb might need to connect several times to the PostgreSQL server, asking for a password each time. It is convenient to have a $HOME/.pgpass file in such cases. OPTIONS
vacuumdb accepts the following command-line arguments: [-d] dbname [--dbname] dbname Specifies the name of the database to be cleaned or analyzed. If this is not specified and -a (or --all) is not used, the database name is read from the environment variable PGDATABASE. If that is not set, the user name specified for the connection is used. -a --all Vacuum all databases. -e --echo Echo the commands that vacuumdb generates and sends to the server. -f --full Perform ``full'' vacuuming. -q --quiet Do not display a response. -t table [ (column [,...]) ] --table table [ (column [,...]) ] Clean or analyze table only. Column names may be specified only in conjunction with the --analyze option. Tip: If you specify columns to vacuum, you probably have to escape the parentheses from the shell. -v --verbose Print detailed information during processing. -z --analyze Calculate statistics for use by the optimizer. vacuumdb also accepts the following command-line arguments for connection parameters: -h host --host host Specifies the host name of the machine on which the server is running. If host begins with a slash, it is used as the directory for the Unix domain socket. -p port --port port Specifies the Internet TCP/IP port or local Unix domain socket file extension on which the server is listening for connections. -U username --username username User name to connect as -W --password Force password prompt. DIAGNOSTICS
VACUUM Everything went well. vacuumdb: Vacuum failed. Something went wrong. vacuumdb is only a wrapper script. See VACUUM [vacuum(7)] and psql(1) for a detailed discussion of error mes- sages and potential problems. ENVIRONMENT
PGDATABASE PGHOST PGPORT PGUSER Default connection parameters. EXAMPLES
To clean the database test: $ vacuumdb test To clean and analyze for the optimizer a database named bigdb: $ vacuumdb --analyze bigdb To clean a single table foo in a database named xyzzy, and analyze a single column bar of the table for the optimizer: $ vacuumdb --analyze --verbose --table 'foo(bar)' xyzzy SEE ALSO
VACUUM [vacuum(7)] Application 2002-11-22 VACUUMDB(1)