Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users password verification verify password of a user for only first 8 characters Post 302250415 by nitin on Thursday 23rd of October 2008 10:03:22 AM
Old 10-23-2008
Amit,
Can you check to make sure you are using MD5? You can find out if you are using MD5 cipher by looking at the encoded password string in your /etc/shadow file. If it starts with $1$ and is 34 characters long, then it is an MD5-based format. DES format is shorter, it is only 13 characters long. MD5 is default, but may have been changed during install etc.

Also, are these users being authenticated locally or by LDAP? If it's LDAP, then you will have to talk to your LDAP admin.

Other than that I'm out of ideas.....

-Nitin

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to echo password characters

Hi All, I was wondering, how can I echo password using a character such as '*' in unix? In my machine, password is not echoed, so it is only blank space when I enter any password. So, when I enter a command such as "lock", how can I set the echo character to "*" or something else for... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mukluk
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

verify sudo password

edited and removed (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: mdpalow
0 Replies

3. Solaris

Password without numeric characters

G'day guys, Just a simple question: Is it possible to set user's passwords without numeric characters? I prefer to have passwords as simple words, but when going through SMC, i get an error that the first six characters must contain at least 2 alphabetic and 1 numeric. Server is a Sun... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: drchris
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Terminal-specific characters in password

Good morning! I am using a shell script to back up user email files to a remote location. The problem is, one (and apparently more than one) users have the symbol "@" in their password. As you can see from the line: /sbin/mount_smbfs... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: PittWolfBW
5 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

printing password having special characters

Hi I have a password stored in a file (which is a user input) The password is having the special character $ say the password is pw$ord and is stored in the file pw_note I am using the following statement to store the passowrd in a variable $schema_pwd = `cat $dir/pwd_note` ; Now if i print... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ssuresh1999
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to remove the non : characters after the password in shadow file?

On SPARC Solaris 10. I set the app account so it's expired. I also want it so not required to change password at first login, I can do this by removing the numbers after the password in /etc/shadow. example using user1 The /etc/shadow file looks like this: user1:kOmcVXAImRTAY:0::::90:: ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: TKD
8 Replies

7. OS X (Apple)

OSX verify username and password in one line

I'm writing a script that has the need to verify the current user's username and password. I'm not entirely sure how to do this. I've read some things on "dscl" but am not sure that's the correct route for me to go. The one condition i have is that i really need to have the verification happen... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: TheDrizzle
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Random Password generator with 2 digits and 6 characters

I am using the below to random generate a password but I need to have 2 numeric characters and 6 alphabetic chars head /dev/urandom | tr -dc A-Za-z0-9 | head -c 8 ; echo '' 6USUvqRB ------ Post updated at 04:43 PM ------ Any Help folks - Can the output be passed onto a sed command to... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: infernalhell
9 Replies

9. Forum Support Area for Unregistered Users & Account Problems

Password sent via reset password email is 'weak' and won't allow me to change my password

I was unable to login and so used the "Forgotten Password' process. I was sent a NEWLY-PROVIDED password and a link through which my password could be changed. The NEWLY-PROVIDED password allowed me to login. Following the provided link I attempted to update my password to one of my own... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Rich Marton
1 Replies
yppasswd(1)						      General Commands Manual						       yppasswd(1)

NAME
yppasswd - change password in Network Information Service (NIS) SYNOPSIS
yppasswd [name] DESCRIPTION
Note If Enhanced Security is enabled on your system, use the passwd command to change your password, even if NIS is in use. The yppasswd command lets you change your password in the Network Information Service (NIS) map, a network data base service. Only you or the superuser can change your NIS password. When you enter the yppasswd command, the program prompts you for the old password and then for the new password. Note that the passwords are not displayed on the screen. Next, the program asks you for the new password again, to verify that you have typed it correctly. If you do not type the passwords cor- rectly, you will receive an error message after you enter the new password. Your new NIS password must meet one of the following requirements: It must be a combination of at least six alphanumeric characters, or It must be a minimum of four characters, with at least one being non-alphanumeric, such as a control sequence. Note The passwd command does not change the NIS password. This command only changes the local password file (/etc/passwd), and not the NIS mas- ter password file. ERRORS
Your new password does not meet the minimum length requirement. You misspelled your new password or its verification. Your new password can not be activated. It must be different from your old password and your login name. FILES
Password file NIS directory SEE ALSO
passwd(1), passwd(4), ypfiles(4), yppasswdd(8) Network Administration yppasswd(1)