Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: stat: Available on Solaris?
Operating Systems Solaris stat: Available on Solaris? Post 302250270 by jlliagre on Thursday 23rd of October 2008 04:16:50 AM
Old 10-23-2008
What stat can do ls can't ?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

Need help with scandir / stat

I'm writing a file manager program using FC3 and C, and I'm having a problem displaying the stat info of subdirectories. #include <stdio.h> #include <sys/types.h> #include <sys/stat.h> #include <dirent.h> int main() { char *dirname = "mydirectory"; struct dirent **namelist; ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Bertsura
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Cannot stat?

Hi! I ran into a problem with a job I'm running. All it is doing is a "touch" on a filename. However, when I ran the job, it error'd out and got the message 'cannot stat'. When I restarted the job (making no changes) it worked just fine. Anyone know what this means? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: lgardner
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

stat

the output of stat command is Size: 238 Blocks: 8 IO Block: 4096 regular file Device: 80ah/2058d Inode: 736783 Links: 1 Access: (0664/-rw-rw-r--) Uid: ( 500/ gajju) Gid: ( 500/ gajju) Access: 2008-09-08 20:00:15.000000000 +0530 Modify: 2008-09-08... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: gajju
6 Replies

4. Programming

Q with stat()

From reading various articles on the net, I know stat() is used on files to get things like permissions, sizes etc... As a folder is a special type of file in Unix, I assumed that stat() could work on it as well as any general file. However, from running my program, perror() reported that the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: JamesGoh
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

cannot stat error

I'm trying to find .tif files in a directory tree and rename them prior to zipping them and moving them to another dir. this is my code: cd $TMPPATH pwd ctr=0 for i in 'find . -name "*.tif"' do let "ctr+=1" newtifname=$DATEDIR"_"$SEQ"_"$ctr".tif" mv "$i"... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: rss0213
6 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Stat command

i know this command does not exist in solaris. however, i read somewhere on this forum that basically everything the stat command provides in other oses can be obtained in solaris using the ls command. i've searched the forum for a while now and i cant find the thread. does anyone know about... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Stat value changes

Die to what all operations, the "Modify" and "Change" values of stat output changes for a file. I found, during editing a file, Change and Modify alters. When chmod'ing Change alters, while Modify doesnot alters. Is there more situations where these changes? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: anil510
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help with stat command

Hi Experts, I am here with very simple request: #!bin/bash a=`stat -c %y log1.csv` echo $a and this stat command returning value as 2013-08-11 05:42:10.000000000 -0400: But I want to see in mm/dd/yyyy format? any help is highly appreciated thank you ---------- Post... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: parpaa
9 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Please Help CP CANNOT STAT issue

Hi All, I am getting the below error can anyone please help with this? cp ${AI_SERIAL}/file_name ${AI_SERIAL_ARCH}/${ODATE}_file_name cp: cannot stat `$AI_SERIAL/FILE_NAME': No such file or directory + gzip:$AI_SERIAL_ARCH./$ODATE_FILE_NAME gzip:$AI_SERIAL_ARCH./$ODATE_FILE_NAME: No such... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bhanudhingra
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

On Solaris, without stat, how to check how old a file is?

Hi, How do I check how old a file is? That is, is it 1 day old, 1 year old, generated x hours ago? Currently, I receive a supposed to be daily report and in the last few times, it has not been recent, that is instead of the one generated for the day, it is one that was created yesterday or... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbie_01
3 Replies
File::stat(3pm) 					 Perl Programmers Reference Guide					   File::stat(3pm)

NAME
File::stat - by-name interface to Perl's built-in stat() functions SYNOPSIS
use File::stat; $st = stat($file) or die "No $file: $!"; if ( ($st->mode & 0111) && $st->nlink > 1) ) { print "$file is executable with lotsa links "; } if ( -x $st ) { print "$file is executable "; } use Fcntl "S_IRUSR"; if ( $st->cando(S_IRUSR, 1) ) { print "My effective uid can read $file "; } use File::stat qw(:FIELDS); stat($file) or die "No $file: $!"; if ( ($st_mode & 0111) && ($st_nlink > 1) ) { print "$file is executable with lotsa links "; } DESCRIPTION
This module's default exports override the core stat() and lstat() functions, replacing them with versions that return "File::stat" objects. This object has methods that return the similarly named structure field name from the stat(2) function; namely, dev, ino, mode, nlink, uid, gid, rdev, size, atime, mtime, ctime, blksize, and blocks. As of version 1.02 (provided with perl 5.12) the object provides "-X" overloading, so you can call filetest operators ("-f", "-x", and so on) on it. It also provides a "->cando" method, called like $st->cando( ACCESS, EFFECTIVE ) where ACCESS is one of "S_IRUSR", "S_IWUSR" or "S_IXUSR" from the Fcntl module, and EFFECTIVE indicates whether to use effective (true) or real (false) ids. The method interprets the "mode", "uid" and "gid" fields, and returns whether or not the current process would be allowed the specified access. If you don't want to use the objects, you may import the "->cando" method into your namespace as a regular function called "stat_cando". This takes an arrayref containing the return values of "stat" or "lstat" as its first argument, and interprets it for you. You may also import all the structure fields directly into your namespace as regular variables using the :FIELDS import tag. (Note that this still overrides your stat() and lstat() functions.) Access these fields as variables named with a preceding "st_" in front their method names. Thus, "$stat_obj->dev()" corresponds to $st_dev if you import the fields. To access this functionality without the core overrides, pass the "use" an empty import list, and then access function functions with their full qualified names. On the other hand, the built-ins are still available via the "CORE::" pseudo-package. BUGS
As of Perl 5.8.0 after using this module you cannot use the implicit $_ or the special filehandle "_" with stat() or lstat(), trying to do so leads into strange errors. The workaround is for $_ to be explicit my $stat_obj = stat $_; and for "_" to explicitly populate the object using the unexported and undocumented populate() function with CORE::stat(): my $stat_obj = File::stat::populate(CORE::stat(_)); ERRORS
-%s is not implemented on a File::stat object The filetest operators "-t", "-T" and "-B" are not implemented, as they require more information than just a stat buffer. WARNINGS
These can all be disabled with no warnings "File::stat"; File::stat ignores use filetest 'access' You have tried to use one of the "-rwxRWX" filetests with "use filetest 'access'" in effect. "File::stat" will ignore the pragma, and just use the information in the "mode" member as usual. File::stat ignores VMS ACLs VMS systems have a permissions structure that cannot be completely represented in a stat buffer, and unlike on other systems the builtin filetest operators respect this. The "File::stat" overloads, however, do not, since the information required is not available. NOTE
While this class is currently implemented using the Class::Struct module to build a struct-like class, you shouldn't rely upon this. AUTHOR
Tom Christiansen perl v5.16.2 2012-10-25 File::stat(3pm)