Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users password verification verify password of a user for only first 8 characters Post 302250219 by amitpansuria on Thursday 23rd of October 2008 12:15:45 AM
Old 10-23-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitin
You will have to install the authconfig package.
RPM package:
authconfig-4.6.10-rhel4.1

In Ubuntu, just do:
Code:
apt-get install authconfig

HTH,
Nitin
Hi nitin,

I already have install following package installed on my system.

$ rpm -qa |grep authconfig
authconfig-4.6.10-rhel4.3

more -ever It accept more than 12 character password but when it validates only first 8 character password. I mean suppose I give new password more than 12 character and log off . when I login again and give only first 8 character then also it accept. it means it verify only first 8 character.
so workaround near validation .

yr help will be appreciated.
Regards,
Amit

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to echo password characters

Hi All, I was wondering, how can I echo password using a character such as '*' in unix? In my machine, password is not echoed, so it is only blank space when I enter any password. So, when I enter a command such as "lock", how can I set the echo character to "*" or something else for... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mukluk
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

verify sudo password

edited and removed (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: mdpalow
0 Replies

3. Solaris

Password without numeric characters

G'day guys, Just a simple question: Is it possible to set user's passwords without numeric characters? I prefer to have passwords as simple words, but when going through SMC, i get an error that the first six characters must contain at least 2 alphabetic and 1 numeric. Server is a Sun... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: drchris
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Terminal-specific characters in password

Good morning! I am using a shell script to back up user email files to a remote location. The problem is, one (and apparently more than one) users have the symbol "@" in their password. As you can see from the line: /sbin/mount_smbfs... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: PittWolfBW
5 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

printing password having special characters

Hi I have a password stored in a file (which is a user input) The password is having the special character $ say the password is pw$ord and is stored in the file pw_note I am using the following statement to store the passowrd in a variable $schema_pwd = `cat $dir/pwd_note` ; Now if i print... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ssuresh1999
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to remove the non : characters after the password in shadow file?

On SPARC Solaris 10. I set the app account so it's expired. I also want it so not required to change password at first login, I can do this by removing the numbers after the password in /etc/shadow. example using user1 The /etc/shadow file looks like this: user1:kOmcVXAImRTAY:0::::90:: ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: TKD
8 Replies

7. OS X (Apple)

OSX verify username and password in one line

I'm writing a script that has the need to verify the current user's username and password. I'm not entirely sure how to do this. I've read some things on "dscl" but am not sure that's the correct route for me to go. The one condition i have is that i really need to have the verification happen... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: TheDrizzle
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Random Password generator with 2 digits and 6 characters

I am using the below to random generate a password but I need to have 2 numeric characters and 6 alphabetic chars head /dev/urandom | tr -dc A-Za-z0-9 | head -c 8 ; echo '' 6USUvqRB ------ Post updated at 04:43 PM ------ Any Help folks - Can the output be passed onto a sed command to... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: infernalhell
9 Replies

9. Forum Support Area for Unregistered Users & Account Problems

Password sent via reset password email is 'weak' and won't allow me to change my password

I was unable to login and so used the "Forgotten Password' process. I was sent a NEWLY-PROVIDED password and a link through which my password could be changed. The NEWLY-PROVIDED password allowed me to login. Following the provided link I attempted to update my password to one of my own... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Rich Marton
1 Replies
pam_pwcheck(8)							 Reference Manual						    pam_pwcheck(8)

NAME
pam_pwcheck - PAM module for password strength checking DESCRIPTION
The pam_pwcheck is a PAM module for password strength checking. It makes additional checks upon password changes, but does not perform the change itself. It only provides functionality for one PAM management group: password changing. This module works in the following manner: if enabled, it first calls the Cracklib routine to check the strength of the password; if crack likes the password, the module does an additional set of strength checks. These checks are: Palindrome Is the new password a palindrome of the old one? Case Change Only Is the new password the old one with only a change of case? Similar Is the new password too similar to old one? Simple Is the new password too short? Rotated Is the new password a rotated version of the old password? Already used Was the password used in the past? Previously used passwords are to be found in /etc/security/opasswd. OPTIONS
The following options may be passed to the module: cracklib=<path to dictionaries> Use cracklib library for password checks. This parameter also contains the path to the cracklib dictionaries. The default is /usr/lib/cracklib_dict. debug A lot of debug information is printed with syslog(3). maxlen=number Number of significant characters in the password for crypt(3). A value of zero suppresses this check. The default is 0. minlen=number The minimum number of characters in an acceptable password. A new password with fewer characters will be rejected. A value of zero suppresses this check. The default is 5. no_obscure_checks No additional checks will be performed before a new password is accepted. Since the checks performed are fairly simple, their usage is recommended. not_set_pass If this option is given, pam_pwcheck will not make the new password available for other modules. nullok Normally the account is disabled if no password is set or if the length of the password is zero. With this option you can allow the user to change his password for such accounts. This option does not overwrite a hardcoded default by the calling process. tries=number Maximum number of attempts to change a password if the new ones are rejected because they are too easy. use_authtok Set the new password to the one provided by the previously stacked password module. If this option is not set, pam_pwcheck will ask the user for the new password. use_first_pass By default pam_pwcheck tries to get the authentication token from a previous module. If no token is available, the user is asked for the old password. With this option, pam_pwcheck aborts with an error if no authentication token from a previous module is available. remember=XX Remember the last XX passwords and do not allow the user to reuse any of these for the next XX password changes. XX is a number between 1 and 400. enforce_for_root If this option is set, most of the password check rules are enforced for root, too. Never use this option if you don't know what you are doing, since it could be as result that root is no longer allowed to login at all. FILES
/etc/security/opasswd SEE ALSO
passwd(1), pam.conf(8), pam.d(8), pam(8), rpasswd(1), rpasswdd(8), rpc.yppasswdd(8), yppasswd(1) pam_pwcheck September 2008 pam_pwcheck(8)