Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting search for a string spread in multiple line Post 302250066 by finder255 on Wednesday 22nd of October 2008 04:25:35 PM
Old 10-22-2008
yeah , I just figured out the way ...

Using sed, I am able to do it ...

sed -n '
/f8f8/{
N
s/f8f8 *\n*f5f0 *\n*f0f0 *\n*f1f7 *\n*f4f6 *\n*f7c1//
p
}' file | tail -1

Thx..

Last edited by finder255; 10-22-2008 at 05:31 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Can I spread commands over multiple lines?

Below an example of what I mean. The first attempt does what I want; the second doesn't, because bash assumes a line break means the end of an individual "command unix". Is there some way that I can convince bash to parse out, eg, to the closing parenthesis? I'm thinking this would allow for... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tphyahoo
1 Replies

2. Programming

spawning multiple processes spread across two files

I want to spawn n child processes but have two different classes..with the foremost one forking/spawning the child process and the latter performing a function w/ the spawned processes. I can do this in one class with an if statement and the simple if((pid=fork())==0) //child process { ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: StrengthThaDon
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl: Search for string on line then search and replace text

Hi All, I have a file that I need to be able to find a pattern match on a line, search that line for a text pattern, and replace that text. An example of 4 lines in my file is: 1. MatchText_randomNumberOfText moreData ReplaceMe moreData 2. MatchText_randomNumberOfText moreData moreData... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Crypto
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

removing pattern which is spread in multiple lines

I have several huge files wich contains oracle table creation scripts as follows: I would need to remove the pattern colored in red above. Any sed/awk/pearl code will be of much help. Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sabyasm
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Multiple search string in multiple files using awk

Hi, filenames: contains name of list of files to search in. placelist contains the names of places to be searched in all files in "filenames" for i in $(<filenames) do egrep -f placelist $i if ] then echo $i fi done >> outputfile Output i am getting: (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: pinnacle
0 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

[AWK] handeling data spread on multiple lines

Hello all, first off great forum. Now for my little problem. Using RHEL 5.4 and awk. Been doing code since a few month. So just starting. My problem is handeling data on multiple lines. { if ($1 != LASTKEY && h ~ /.*\/s_fr_/) { checkgecos( h, h ) h="" ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: maverick72
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search several string and convert into a single line for each search string using awk command AIX?.

I need to search the file using strings "Request Type" , " Request Method" , "Response Type" and by using result set find the xml tags and convert into a single line?. below are the scenarios. Cat test Nov 10, 2012 5:17:53 AM INFO: Request Type Line 1.... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: laknar
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search a string in a text file and add another string at the particular position of a line

I am having a text file which is having more than 200 lines. EX: 001010122 12000 BIB 12000 11200 1200003 001010122 2000 AND 12000 11200 1200003 001010122 12000 KVB 12000 11200 1200003 In the above file i want to search for string KVB and add/replace... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: suryanarayana
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search string within a file and list common words from the line having the search string

Hi, Need your help for this scripting issue I have. I am not really good at this, so seeking your help. I have a file looking similar to this: Hello, i am human and name=ABCD. How are you? Hello, i am human and name=PQRS. I am good. Hello, i am human and name=ABCD. Good bye. Hello, i... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: royzlife
12 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How to use a grep search to search for a specific string within multiple directories?

Lets say I have a massive directory which is filled with other directories all filled with different c++ scripts and I want a listing of all the scripts that contain the string: "this string". Is there a way to use a grep search for that? I tried: grep -lr "this string" * but I do not... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Circuits
3 Replies
TAIL(1) 						    BSD General Commands Manual 						   TAIL(1)

NAME
tail -- display the last part of a file SYNOPSIS
tail [-F | -f | -r] [-q] [-b number | -c number | -n number] [file ...] DESCRIPTION
The tail utility displays the contents of file or, by default, its standard input, to the standard output. The display begins at a byte, line or 512-byte block location in the input. Numbers having a leading plus ('+') sign are relative to the beginning of the input, for example, ``-c +2'' starts the display at the second byte of the input. Numbers having a leading minus ('-') sign or no explicit sign are relative to the end of the input, for example, ``-n 2'' displays the last two lines of the input. The default start- ing location is ``-n 10'', or the last 10 lines of the input. The options are as follows: -b number The location is number 512-byte blocks. -c number The location is number bytes. -f The -f option causes tail to not stop when end of file is reached, but rather to wait for additional data to be appended to the input. The -f option is ignored if the standard input is a pipe, but not if it is a FIFO. -F The -F option implies the -f option, but tail will also check to see if the file being followed has been renamed or rotated. The file is closed and reopened when tail detects that the filename being read from has a new inode number. The -F option is ignored if reading from standard input rather than a file. -n number The location is number lines. -q Suppresses printing of headers when multiple files are being examined. -r The -r option causes the input to be displayed in reverse order, by line. Additionally, this option changes the meaning of the -b, -c and -n options. When the -r option is specified, these options specify the number of bytes, lines or 512-byte blocks to display, instead of the bytes, lines or blocks from the beginning or end of the input from which to begin the display. The default for the -r option is to display all of the input. If more than a single file is specified, each file is preceded by a header consisting of the string ``==> XXX <=='' where XXX is the name of the file unless -q flag is specified. EXIT STATUS
The tail utility exits 0 on success, and >0 if an error occurs. SEE ALSO
cat(1), head(1), sed(1) STANDARDS
The tail utility is expected to be a superset of the IEEE Std 1003.2-1992 (``POSIX.2'') specification. In particular, the -F, -b and -r options are extensions to that standard. The historic command line syntax of tail is supported by this implementation. The only difference between this implementation and historic versions of tail, once the command line syntax translation has been done, is that the -b, -c and -n options modify the -r option, i.e., ``-r -c 4'' displays the last 4 characters of the last line of the input, while the historic tail (using the historic syntax ``-4cr'') would ignore the -c option and display the last 4 lines of the input. HISTORY
A tail command appeared in PWB UNIX. BSD
June 29, 2006 BSD