Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting search backwards relative to a string Post 302250017 by finder255 on Wednesday 22nd of October 2008 02:39:56 PM
Old 10-22-2008
Bug search backwards relative to a string

Hi,

I have to search for first occurenceof string str1 in a file(>5GB).

Now, after I have that , I have to search backwards from that offset till I get another string str2. I should also be able to get the
new string str2's offset.

Similarly, I look for last occurence of str1 and then have to search forward from there for str2 and get its offset .

First occurence :--
grep str1 file | head -1

Last occurence :--
grep str1 file | tail -1

But, I dont know how to do relative search in backward & forward directions, so that I have their offsets ..??

Please help...

finder

Last edited by finder255; 10-22-2008 at 05:22 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

get cygpath to leave relative paths as relative?

If I execute mypath=`cygpath -w ../` echo $mypath I get d:\unix\nextVersion\script OK, d:\unix\nextVersion\script is the correct windows version of the path, but it is in absolute form. I would prefer it if cygpath left it in relative form, i.e. echo $mypath should output ..\ ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: fabulous2
0 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search backwards

Hi, I have a variable , lets say a=/disk1/net/first.ksh i need to grep "first.ksh" everytime "a" gets changed dynamically and i do not know how many '"/" are there in my variable. Can somebody help me out. (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: giri_luck
9 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to search backwards in a log file by timestamp of entries?

Hello. I'm not nearly good enough with awk/perl to create the logfile scraping script that my boss is insisting we need immediately. Here is a brief 3-line excerpt from the access.log file in question (actual URL domain changed to 'aaa.com'): 209.253.130.36 - - "GET... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kevinmccallum
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

search for string and replace backwards

I'm new to Unix scripting and I'm not sure if this can be done. Example: search (grep) in a file for 'Control ID' and then replace with 4 blanks 7 bytes before 'Control ID. input "xxxxxx1234xxxxxxxControl IDxxxxxx" output: "xxxxxx xxxxxxxControl IDxxxxxx" thanks! (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: jbt828
7 Replies

5. Programming

How to search a file based on a time stamp backwards 10 seconds

Hi all, I'm after some help with this small issue which i'm struggling to work out a fix for. I have a file that contains records that all have a time stamp for each individual record, i need to search the file for a specific time stamp and then search back 10 seconds to see if the number... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sp3arsy
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search backwards to certain string

Hi, I'm using the following to do a backwards search of a file for a string sed s/^M//g FILE | nawk 'c-->0;$0~s{if(b)for(c=b+1;c>1;c--)print r;print;c=a}b{r=$0}' b=10 a=0 s="9005"|grep "policy "|sort -u |awk '{print $4}'|cut -c2-10 My issue is that because I'm looking back 10 lines it's... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: SaltyDog
11 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search several string and convert into a single line for each search string using awk command AIX?.

I need to search the file using strings "Request Type" , " Request Method" , "Response Type" and by using result set find the xml tags and convert into a single line?. below are the scenarios. Cat test Nov 10, 2012 5:17:53 AM INFO: Request Type Line 1.... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: laknar
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search string within a file and list common words from the line having the search string

Hi, Need your help for this scripting issue I have. I am not really good at this, so seeking your help. I have a file looking similar to this: Hello, i am human and name=ABCD. How are you? Hello, i am human and name=PQRS. I am good. Hello, i am human and name=ABCD. Good bye. Hello, i... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: royzlife
12 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed: find and replace backwards, until string

Some help please: Need to find string ||(everything in front of it)B0300|| and replace it with ||0|| globally In: 16112121||||0||0||0||0||0||52||52||0||0||0||0||1507200053342B0300||1507200053342B0300||0||0||0||0700 Out: 16112121||||0||0||0||0||0||52||52||0||0||0||0||0||0||0||0||0||0700 ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: drbiloukos
4 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How to use a grep search to search for a specific string within multiple directories?

Lets say I have a massive directory which is filled with other directories all filled with different c++ scripts and I want a listing of all the scripts that contain the string: "this string". Is there a way to use a grep search for that? I tried: grep -lr "this string" * but I do not... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Circuits
3 Replies
MB_EREG_SEARCH_INIT(3)							 1						    MB_EREG_SEARCH_INIT(3)

mb_ereg_search_init - Setup string and regular expression for a multibyte regular expression match

SYNOPSIS
bool mb_ereg_search_init (string $string, [string $pattern], [string $option = "msr"]) DESCRIPTION
mb_ereg_search_init(3) sets $string and $pattern for a multibyte regular expression. These values are used for mb_ereg_search(3), mb_ereg_search_pos(3), and mb_ereg_search_regs(3). PARAMETERS
o $string - The search string. o $pattern - The search pattern. o $option - The search option. RETURN VALUES
Returns TRUE on success or FALSE on failure. NOTES
Note The internal encoding or the character encoding specified by mb_regex_encoding(3) will be used as the character encoding for this function. SEE ALSO
mb_regex_encoding(3), mb_ereg_search_regs(3). PHP Documentation Group MB_EREG_SEARCH_INIT(3)