Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: replace characters in a file
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting replace characters in a file Post 302249756 by dnat on Wednesday 22nd of October 2008 04:19:55 AM
Old 10-22-2008
wher are we specifying the character numbers as 3-5

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace characters in all file names in a particular directory

Hi, I have searched the forum on how to mass replace the file names. We are doing the migration and I am trying to accomplish a task where I have to replace all UNIX scripts in a particular directory that start with bdw to fdm... For example: bdw0110137.sh should be fdm0110137.sh Keep the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: madhunk
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Replace Special characters in a file

Hi, I have a data like this in a file, 402003279034002000100147626030003300010000000000002000029000000 ær^M^\MÍW^H I need to replace those special char to some other char like # or $ Is there any ways to do it... I tried commands tr,sed and many but it was not able to replace because... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: solai
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to replace characters 7 through 14 of every line in a file

Hi all, I have a file with multiple lines. I want to replace characters 7 through 14 of every line with 0000000 Input: 12345678901234567890 23456789012345678901 Output 12345600000004567890 23456700000005678901 Please help. JaK (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: jakSun8
9 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Find and replace special characters in a file

HI All I need a shell script ehich removes all special characters from file and converts the file to UTF-* format Specail characters to be removed must be configurable. strIllegal = @"?/><,:;""'{|\\+=-)(*&^%$#@!~`"; Please help me in getting this script as my scripting skilla are... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sujithchandra
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace characters then read the file without changing it

Hi All At the moment the following code works but ideally i do not want to have to change the original $1 tr "\r" "\n" < "$1" > "$1.fix" printf "\n" >> "$1.fix" mv "$1.fix" "$1" FILE=$1 coffee_out="splitmovie" coffee_fill="-splitAt" coffee_end="-self-contained -o output.mov $2"... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: babajuma
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace 10 characters in file

Hi, I need to replace 10 characters string (21-30) in a file with another string. I tried using cut command, i am able get these 10 charaters, but do not know how to replace them inside the file. for example file content(these are alphanumeric characters):... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Johny001
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using shell to replace characters in a text file

Can I just say, this is such a frustrating and yet enormously rewarding field of study. I'm in the middle of configuring GeekTool (Uh oh, stupid n00b) and I really only have one question. I'm using Automator to grab a RSS feed, having GeekTool continually run that application every 10 minutes,... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: SomeTechGuy
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace first 3 characters in a unix file in all lines

Replace first 3 characters in a unix file (say replace "A&B" with "C&D") in all lines of the file. Need a sed or awk script to do this. Kindly help! -Kumar (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: vasan2815
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to replace characters in a file?

Hi Gurus, I need replace some charactors in a file. in following example. I need replace from 4th charactor to 6th charactor with x in each line. abcdefghijklmn 123456789011 excepted result: abcxxxghijklmn 123xxx789011 Thanks in advance. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ken6503
6 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Need to replace new line characters in a huge file

Hi , I would like to replace new line characters(\n) in a huge file of about 2 million records . I tried this one (:%s/\n//g) but it's hanging there and no result. Does this command do not work if the file is big. Please let me know if you have any other options Regards Raj (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rajeevm
1 Replies
KUMOCTL(1)						      General Commands Manual							KUMOCTL(1)

NAME
kumoctl - show kumofs status SYNOPSIS
kumoctl address[:port=19750] command [options] DESCRIPTION
Show status of kumo-manager and send control commands to kumo-manager. COMMANDS
status show status of the cluster attach attach all new servers and start replace attach-noreplace attach all new servers detach detach all fault servers and start replace detach-noreplace detach all fault servers replace start replace without attach/detach full-replace start full-replace (repair consistency) backup [suffix=20090304] create backup with specified suffix enable-auto-replace enable auto replace disable-auto-replace disable auto replace STATUS
hash space timestamp The time that the list of attached kumo-servers is updated. It is updated when new kumo-server is added or existing kumo-server is down. attached node The list of attached kumo-servers. (active) is normal node and (fault) is fault node or recoverd but not re-attached node. not attached node The list of recognized but not-attached nodes. AUTO REPLACING
By default, you have to attach new kumo-servers manually using kumoctl command. If the auto replacing is enabled, new kumo-servers are attached automatically. This is experimental feature. EXAMPLE
$ kumoctl mgr1 status $ kumoctl mgr1 attach SEE ALSO
kumo-manager(1). kumoctl July 2009 KUMOCTL(1)