Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: System call code - nice()
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers System call code - nice() Post 302249699 by matrixmadhan on Tuesday 21st of October 2008 10:52:22 PM
Old 10-21-2008

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

is ‘nice’ command useful on a multi-CPU UNIX system?

Can someone tell me this. thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: xoxouu
1 Replies

2. Programming

nice command and nice() system call

Hi I want to implement the nice command in the shell that I am building. I came to know that there is a corresponding nice() system call for the same. But since I will be forking different processes to run different commands typed on the command prompt, is there any way I can make a command... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tejbuch
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

how to differentiate system call from library call

Hi, Ho do I differentiate system call from library call? for example if I am using chmod , how do I find out if it is a system call or library call? Thanks Muru (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: muru
2 Replies

4. Programming

c system call

How the c compiler differentiates the system calls and function calls? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rangaswamy
1 Replies

5. Programming

System call source code

Hi, 1. Can anybode suggest me where to find the source code for system calls itself? Like open(), read(), close(). May I have the link or book where I can find the source code these functions itself? 2. When ever we quit a file or save and quit a file, the file content is stored in the disk.... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ramkrix
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

system call

Hi, How to write a system calls in a script ? > cd $HOME > ls -ltr thanks in advance.. (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: hegdeshashi
10 Replies

7. Programming

C:system call

Hi I'm studing the system call. I've written a small program that return the time spent in doing some operations. Now I'd like to write one that return the time spent in user mode of a process. I'm reading that i should use the tms struct: clock_t times(struct tms *buf); struct tms {... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Dedalus
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Call Nice command (priority) from /bin/ksh

Hello, I am just starting with shell scripting, as everyone will soon see from my question. What I'm trying to do is call the Nice command to set the script process priority from /bin/ksh. The difference is I'm running it not directly through the shell, but through Bigfix (very similar to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: solly119
3 Replies

9. Programming

need help with system call

hi everyone i wrote a system call and compiled the kernel succesfully... my system call is in a file in the kernel folder named my_syscall1.c (kernel/my_syscall1.c) the header file for this system call i added it in the folder include like this include/my_syscall1/my_syscall1.h my problem is... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: demis87
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

system call

Trying to figure out a load issue with a webserver. I have traced a php script and noticed the following connect(4, {sa_family=AF_INET, sin_port=htons(3306), sin_addr=inet_addr("XX.XX.XX.XX")}, 16) = -1 EINPROGRESS (Operation now in progress) <0.000035> poll(, 1, 2000) = 1 () <0.000120>... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajan007
5 Replies
nice(3) 						     Library Functions Manual							   nice(3)

Name
       nice - set program priority

Syntax
       int nice(incr)
       int incr;

Description
       The scheduling priority of the process is augmented by incr.  Positive priorities get less service than normal.	Priority 10 is recommended
       to users who wish to execute long-running programs without flack from the administration.

Negative increments are ignored except on behalf of the super-user.  The priority is limited to the range -20 (most urgent) to 20 (least).

The priority of a process is passed to a child process by For a privileged process to return to normal  priority  from  an  unknown  state,
       should  be  called successively with arguments -40 (goes to priority -20 because of truncation), 20 (to get to 0), then 0 (to maintain com-
       patibility with previous versions of this call).

Environment
       In any mode, nice returns -1 and sets on an error.  On success, the return value depends on the mode in which your  program  was  compiled.
       In  POSIX  or  System V mode, it is the new priority; otherwise, it is zero.  Note that, in POSIX and System V mode, -1 can indicate either
       success or failure; must be used to determine which.

See Also
       nice(1), fork(2), setpriority(2), renice(8)

nice(3)