Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting On how to select the right tool for a given task Post 302249572 by neked on Tuesday 21st of October 2008 03:42:23 PM
Old 10-21-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by neked
3) Even if you were a parameter substitution guru, and you used meaningful variable names and comments to make clearer what your parameter substitution tricks do, then future maintainers of the code might not be the same. This bit me a couple of days ago: I had to spend 20 minutes debugging a bash script riddled with those parameter substitution scripts. I estimate I would've spent closer to 5 minutes if the code was written using more obvious external tools (sed, basename, awk). This is about 15 minutes of human time wasted in order to save less than a few milliseconds of CPU time. Especially since the whole script runs only once a night, and does not exceed 0.030 seconds runtime on my modest 7 years old computer.
I've just substituted all occurrences of parameter substitutions with equivalent sed and basename commands in the script I refer to above, the execution time went up from an average of 0.030 seconds to 0.061 seconds. That means parameter substitution use shaved an average of 0.03 seconds per run. Considering that I've had to spend roughly 15 more minutes understanding the code to debug it, this means the code has to run 15*60/0.03 times to pay off the extra time I invested to debug it. That's 30,000 times. Considering that it runs once a night, this means we'll have to wait more than 80 years!

Even after 80 years, those 0.020 seconds shaved off CPU time per night are not as worthy to me as 15 minutes of my time which I could've spent aternative activity redacted

Last edited by Perderabo; 10-21-2008 at 05:49 PM.. Reason: clean up language

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

process vs task

Hi, I am new to this forum and unix too. I have just started learning unix. As I was going through the first chapter, I read that unix is multitasking, multiprogramming, multiprocessing and multiuser OS. My question is: Is there any difference between a TASK and a PROCESS. How are PROCESS... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hana
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

comment and Uncomment single task out of multiple task

I have a file contains TASK gsnmpproxy { CommandLine = $SMCHOME/bin/gsnmpProxy.exe } TASK gsnmpdbgui { CommandLine = $SMCHOME/bin/gsnmpdbgui.exe I would like to comment and than uncomment specific task eg TASK gsnmpproxy Pls suggest how to do in shell script (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: madhusmita
9 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Parse an XML task list to create each task.xml file

I have an task definition listing xml file that contains a list of tasks such as <TASKLIST <TASK definition="Completion date" id="Taskname1" Some other <CODE name="Code12" <Parameter pname="Dog" input="5.6" units="feet" etc /Parameter> <Parameter... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: MissI
3 Replies

4. Programming

Help with task daemon

believe it or not but this is my first c program (i've worked with java, C#, php though) I am trying to make a daemon that checks if mplayer is running(it's for a projection room) and if it is not then to run mplayer with a file.. So far it's not working and I don't know why Help and comments... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: james2432
5 Replies

5. Boot Loaders

Reboot and Select Proper Boot device or insert Boot media in select Boot device and press a key

Hello, I have kubuntu on my laptop and now I decided to switch to Windows 7. I made the bios settings properly (first choice is boot from cd\vd) but I see the error " reboot and select proper Boot device or insert Boot media in select Boot device and press a key " I have tried CD and... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: rpf
0 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

last task for my script

hi, infile- create table salary ( occupation_code char(40), earnings decimal(10,2), occ_yearend integer ); outfile- salary:create table salary salary:( occupation_code char(40), salary: earnings decimal(10,2), salary: occ_yearend integer salary:); Thanks. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: dvah
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

task

Hi all, I'm newbie and stuck here. Thanks for any help. Input(txt file) a b X c d Y e f Z g h W Requested output: a b X Y c d Y X e f Z W g h W Z Please use code tags when posting data and code samples! (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: hernand
10 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Task

Hi experts, I have a problem with the below shell task: I need to modify the file creatin a paired row , per each row which matches filter (e.g. number of nonempty columns = 5) Output should look like this: second row is original one from the input, first row(red) is pairing row, it's... (29 Replies)
Discussion started by: hernand
29 Replies

9. Homework & Coursework Questions

[HELP] Easy task

I have a simple task for my school work. I'm new with unix, so i need help. I need to write a scenario. Task is. From created txt file read first 3 words and create a 3 catalogs with those 3 words. 2 of those new catalogs should be transferred to other directory. If someone could help me just... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: justynykas
1 Replies
Image::ExifTool::Shift(3)				User Contributed Perl Documentation				 Image::ExifTool::Shift(3)

NAME
Image::ExifTool::Shift.pl - ExifTool time shifting routines DESCRIPTION
This module contains routines used by ExifTool to shift date and time values. DETAILS
Time shifts are applied to standard EXIF-formatted date/time values (ie. "2005:03:14 18:55:00"). Date-only and time-only values may also be shifted, and an optional timezone (ie. "-05:00") is also supported. Here are some general rules and examples to explain how shift strings are interpreted: Date-only values are shifted using the following formats: 'Y:M:D' - shift date by 'Y' years, 'M' months and 'D' days 'M:D' - shift months and days only 'D' - shift specified number of days Time-only values are shifted using the following formats: 'h:m:s' - shift time by 'h' hours, 'm' minutes and 's' seconds 'h:m' - shift hours and minutes only 'h' - shift specified number of hours Timezone shifts are specified in the following formats: '+h:m' - shift timezone by 'h' hours and 'm' minutes '-h:m' - negative shift of timezone hours and minutes '+h' - shift timezone hours only '-h' - negative shift of timezone hours only A valid shift value consists of one or two arguments, separated by a space. If only one is provided, it is assumed to be a time shift when applied to a time-only or a date/time value, or a date shift when applied to a date-only value. For example: '7' - shift by 1 hour if applied to a time or date/time value, or by one day if applied to a date value '2:0' - shift 2 hours (time, date/time), or 2 months (date) '5:0:0' - shift 5 hours (time, date/time), or 5 years (date) '0:0:1' - shift 1 s (time, date/time), or 1 day (date) If two arguments are given, the date shift is first, followed by the time shift: '3:0:0 0' - shift date by 3 years '0 15:30' - shift time by 15 hours and 30 minutes '1:0:0 0:0:0+5:0' - shift date by 1 year and timezone by 5 hours A date shift is simply ignored if applied to a time value or visa versa. Numbers specified in shift fields may contain a decimal point: '1.5' - 1 hour 30 minutes (time, date/time), or 1 day (date) '2.5 0' - 2 days 12 hours (date/time), 12 hours (time) or 2 days (date) And to save typing, a zero is assumed for any missing numbers: '1::' - shift by 1 hour (time, date/time) or 1 year (date) '26:: 0' - shift date by 26 years '+:30 - shift timezone by 30 minutes Below are some specific examples applied to real date and/or time values ('Dir' is the applied shift direction: '+' is positive, '-' is negative): Original Value Shift Dir Shifted Value --------------------- ------- --- --------------------- '20:30:00' '5' + '01:30:00' '2005:01:27' '5' + '2005:02:01' '11:54:00' '2.5 0' - '23:54:00' '2005:11:02' '2.5 0' - '2005:10:31' '2005:11:02 11:54:00' '2.5 0' - '2005:10:30 23:54:00' '2004:02:28 08:00:00' '1 1.3' + '2004:02:29 09:18:00' '07:00:00' '-5' + '07:00:00' '07:00:00+01:00' '-5' + '07:00:00-04:00' '07:00:00Z' '+2:30' - '07:00:00-02:30' '1970:01:01' '35::' + '2005:01:01' '2005:01:01' '400' + '2006:02:05' '10:00:00.00' '::1.33' + '09:59:58.67' NOTES
The format of the original date/time value is not changed when the time shift is applied. This means that the length of the date/time string will not change, and only the numbers in the string will be modified. The only exception to this rule is that a 'Z' timezone is changed to '+00:00' notation if a timezone shift is applied. A timezone will not be added to the date/time string. TRICKY
This module is perhaps more complicated than it needs to be because it is designed to be very flexible in the way time shifts are specified and applied... The ability to shift dates by Y years, M months, etc, is somewhat contradictory to the goal of maintaining a constant shift for all time values when applying a batch shift. This is because shifting by 1 month can be equivalent to anything from 28 to 31 days, and 1 year can be 365 or 366 days, depending on the starting date. The inconsistency is handled by shifting the first tag found with the actual specified shift, then calculating the equivalent time difference in seconds for this shift and applying this difference to subsequent tags in a batch conversion. So if it works as designed, the behaviour should be both intuitive and mathematically correct, and the user shouldn't have to worry about details such as this (in keeping with Perl's "do the right thing" philosophy). AUTHOR
Copyright 2003-2010, Phil Harvey (phil at owl.phy.queensu.ca) This library is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. SEE ALSO
Image::ExifTool(3pm) perl v5.12.1 2010-01-04 Image::ExifTool::Shift(3)