Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: File Handling
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users File Handling Post 302249396 by wempy on Tuesday 21st of October 2008 09:04:02 AM
Old 10-21-2008
rather than storing the entire nine months logs in one file, have you considered one file for each month? then it would be trivial to move each month "up" at month end:

<top of head mod>
Code:
for FEXT in  8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1
do
OLDEXT=$((FEXT + 1))
OLDFILE=file.$OLDEXT
NEWFILE=file.FEXT
[ -f $NEWFILE ] && mv $NEWFILE $OLDFILE
done

which will move each file "up" by one each time it is run, knocking the last file off the end (actually overwriting it with the months before).
does this help?

Last edited by wempy; 10-21-2008 at 10:04 AM.. Reason: replaced down with up for clarity

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

File Handling in C

Hi all, I have a problem in handling files through C. here is the problem im having: i will query the database (for instance consider employees table ) for empno,ename,job,salary fields.The query returns me some 100 of rows. now i need to place them in a file in row wise pattern as they... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: trinath
3 Replies

2. Programming

file handling

Hi all, I got a little issue here. Imagine that I have more than one process accessing one file. Is it possible to know which process(es) are accessing that file when I open the file?? Thanks for the help. Best regards, Ernesto (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ninjanesto
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

please help me in file handling

sir i have to get first line from a file for example >cat file1 abc zxc asd adsf from that file1 i need only first line expected result >abc please help me ! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ponmuthu
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

File handling

my input for a script is another csv file but in that file say 7 lines are there ... how can i get line by line to that input for example : >cat link.csv www.yahoo.com,yahoo www.google.com,google www.unix.com,unix another file in that file i need to ping the above links ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ponmuthu
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

UNIX File handling -Issue in reading a file

I have been doing automation of daily check activity for a server, i have been using sqls to retrive the data and while loop for reading the data from the file for several activities. BUT i got a show stopper the below one.. where the data is getting store in $temp_file, but not being read by while... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: KuldeepSinghTCS
1 Replies

6. Programming

Perl help for file handling

$# some text $$ some text $@ some text $$. some text Mg1 some text Mg2 some text . . . Mg10 some text The above 10 lines are to be extracted except the lines starting from $#,$$.,... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: baig.abdul
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

ksh file handling

Specifically on RHEL 5.7. When does the underlying ksh process open and close files? Every time they're accessed, or as little as possible? Say you have some script like: CreateFiles() { grep "<VALUE1>" ${infile} >> ${outfile} grep "<VALUE2>" ${infile} >> ${outfile} ...... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: CarloM
4 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

File Handling

Hi Team, I am trying to cut a large file into multiple files. It has Header 50,050 records Trailer ------------------------------------------- I need to cut the files into multiple files of 1000 records and should have the same header and trailer as the original files. ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Gurkamal83
4 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

File handling

I have a file 1 298167 298168 1093209 1093210 1422663 I want to write a code where in I want to read contents of above file like first read is 1 second read is 298167 Substract second read from first and if this is greater than or less than 99,999. Similarly I want to traverse thru... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Guru148
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

File handling

Hi All, I need to extract the data from the text file. The data of the text file is shown below #L 0.000017 4.329939 0.000017 4.716267 r7.9 P 1 1;Net=IN32 The extracted data should be IN32. Could anyone help to script in c shell.? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: gopishrine
4 Replies
CAL(1)							    BSD General Commands Manual 						    CAL(1)

NAME
cal, ncal -- displays a calendar and the date of Easter SYNOPSIS
cal [-3hjy] [-A number] [-B number] [[month] year] cal [-3hj] [-A number] [-B number] -m month [year] ncal [-3hjJpwy] [-A number] [-B number] [-s country_code] [[month] year] ncal [-3hJeo] [-A number] [-B number] [year] ncal [-CN] [-H yyyy-mm-dd] [-d yyyy-mm] DESCRIPTION
The cal utility displays a simple calendar in traditional format and ncal offers an alternative layout, more options and the date of Easter. The new format is a little cramped but it makes a year fit on a 25x80 terminal. If arguments are not specified, the current month is dis- played. The options are as follows: -h Turns off highlighting of today. -J Display Julian Calendar, if combined with the -e option, display date of Easter according to the Julian Calendar. -e Display date of Easter (for western churches). -j Display Julian days (days one-based, numbered from January 1). -m month Display the specified month. If month is specified as a decimal number, it may be followed by the letter 'f' or 'p' to indicate the following or preceding month of that number, respectively. -o Display date of Orthodox Easter (Greek and Russian Orthodox Churches). -p Print the country codes and switching days from Julian to Gregorian Calendar as they are assumed by ncal. The country code as deter- mined from the local environment is marked with an asterisk. -s country_code Assume the switch from Julian to Gregorian Calendar at the date associated with the country_code. If not specified, ncal tries to guess the switch date from the local environment or falls back to September 2, 1752. This was when Great Britain and her colonies switched to the Gregorian Calendar. -w Print the number of the week below each week column. -y Display a calendar for the specified year. -3 Display the previous, current and next month surrounding today. -A number Display the number of months after the current month. -B number Display the number of months before the current month. -C Switch to cal mode. -N Switch to ncal mode. -d yyyy-mm Use yyyy-mm as the current date (for debugging of date selection). -H yyyy-mm-dd Use yyyy-mm-dd as the current date (for debugging of highlighting). A single parameter specifies the year (1-9999) to be displayed; note the year must be fully specified: ``cal 89'' will not display a calendar for 1989. Two parameters denote the month and year; the month is either a number between 1 and 12, or a full or abbreviated name as speci- fied by the current locale. Month and year default to those of the current system clock and time zone (so ``cal -m 8'' will display a calen- dar for the month of August in the current year). Not all options can be used together. For example ``-3 -A 2 -B 3 -y -m 7'' would mean: show me the three months around the seventh month, three before that, two after that and the whole year. ncal will warn about these combinations. A year starts on January 1. Highlighting of dates is disabled if stdout is not a tty. SEE ALSO
calendar(3), strftime(3) HISTORY
A cal command appeared in Version 5 AT&T UNIX. The ncal command appeared in FreeBSD 2.2.6. AUTHORS
The ncal command and manual were written by Wolfgang Helbig <helbig@FreeBSD.org>. BUGS
The assignment of Julian-Gregorian switching dates to country codes is historically naive for many countries. Not all options are compatible and using them in different orders will give varying results. BSD
March 14, 2009 BSD