Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Puzzling Problem: Going back to the previous directory Post 302249192 by mikemc on Monday 20th of October 2008 08:00:12 PM
Old 10-20-2008
cd -

toggles from one dir to the last visited

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

? question mark, how to get back to the root directory

hiyas I am trying to get back to the root directory: I went into MAIL directory and now I can't get back to the root directory. What are the commands... I have '?' coming up and I cannot proceed with this, HELP Cheers (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: etravels
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

want to create directory with the previous date

I need some help to complet the below script: DATE1=`date "+%d"` #DATE2=`expr $DATE1 - 1` #DATE3=$DATE2`date "+%m%y"` DATE4=`date "+%a"` if ; then DATE2=`expr $DATE1 - 3` else DATE2=`expr $DATE1 - 1` fi (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: sridhusha
7 Replies

3. Linux

how to recover from back up directory

Hey all, Is there any way out to get/restore the deleted file in Linux ? As we do have Recycle Bin in Windows OS. as i deleted some files.. it is available in .snapshot but its a large files.. i cont use "mv" command to copy back. it there any way .. such like in window we click restore... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mail2sant
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

ksh - walking back up a directory PATH

Hi there, I am putting a script together to apply a label to a directory structure but it can't be done down the directory structure, i must start at the end and work back and this is what i am struggling with. for example, i will supply a path as an argument to a script, e.g ... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: surfbus78
11 Replies

5. Solaris

( VxVM ) How to add the removed disk back to previous disk group

Previously , i remove the disk by #vxdg -g testdg -k rmdisk testdg02 But i got error when i -k adddisk bash-2.03# vxdisk list DEVICE TYPE DISK GROUP STATUS c0t0d0s2 auto:none - - online invalid c0t1d0s2 auto:none ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: waibabe
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

alias to go back to previous directory?

Some time ago I was using a linux system and someone had set up and alias called "back" that got me back to the directory I was last in, which was very useful. I've now switched to using a mac, and don't have those aliases available. Can anyone tell me how I could make a an alias that would... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ac2011
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Move back to a directory

~/assign1b/assign1/york/> your current directory is york how do you go back to your home directory with using relative pathname? not using cd alone? :( (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: blackendstars
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Create a directory with previous date

Hi All, can any body tell me how to create a new directory with previous time stamp in HP-UX?. e.g i am creating a file liketouch -t 07022013 kkk -rw-r----- 1 feeds sys 0 Jul 2 20:13 kkksame how can i create a directory? please help me. Thanks & Regards, Krupa (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: krupasindhu18
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash to rename files repeats previous filename in directory

In the below bash processes substitution, if there are 3 files in a directory /home/cmccabe/medex.logs/analysis.log, the filename variable is set to where these files are located. The code does execute, the problem is that if there is a renamed file in the output directory below, it gets... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
0 Replies
POSIX_GETPWNAM(3)							 1							 POSIX_GETPWNAM(3)

posix_getpwnam - Return info about a user by username

SYNOPSIS
array posix_getpwnam (string $username) DESCRIPTION
Returns an array of information about the given user. PARAMETERS
o $username - An alphanumeric username. RETURN VALUES
On success an array with the following elements is returned, else FALSE is returned: The user information array +--------+---------------------------------------------------+ |Element | | | | | | | Description | | | | +--------+---------------------------------------------------+ | name | | | | | | | The name element contains the username of the | | | user. This is a short, usually less than 16 char- | | | acter "handle" of the user, not the real, full | | | name. This should be the same as the $username | | | parameter used when calling the function, and | | | hence redundant. | | | | |passwd | | | | | | | The passwd element contains the user's password | | | in an encrypted format. Often, for example on a | | | system employing "shadow" passwords, an asterisk | | | is returned instead. | | | | | uid | | | | | | | User ID of the user in numeric form. | | | | | gid | | | | | | | The group ID of the user. Use the function | | | posix_getgrgid(3) to resolve the group name and a | | | list of its members. | | | | | gecos | | | | | | | GECOS is an obsolete term that refers to the | | | finger information field on a Honeywell batch | | | processing system. The field, however, lives on, | | | and its contents have been formalized by POSIX. | | | The field contains a comma separated list con- | | | taining the user's full name, office phone, | | | office number, and home phone number. On most | | | systems, only the user's full name is available. | | | | | dir | | | | | | | This element contains the absolute path to the | | | home directory of the user. | | | | | shell | | | | | | | The shell element contains the absolute path to | | | the executable of the user's default shell. | | | | +--------+---------------------------------------------------+ EXAMPLES
Example #1 Example use of posix_getpwnam(3) <?php $userinfo = posix_getpwnam("tom"); print_r($userinfo); ?> The above example will output something similar to: Array ( [name] => tom [passwd] => x [uid] => 10000 [gid] => 42 [gecos] => "tom,,," [dir] => "/home/tom" [shell] => "/bin/bash" ) SEE ALSO
posix_getpwuid(3), POSIX man page GETPWNAM(3). PHP Documentation Group POSIX_GETPWNAM(3)