Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Puzzling Problem: Going back to the previous directory Post 302249185 by avis1981 on Monday 20th of October 2008 07:06:16 PM
Old 10-20-2008
How about setting alias?

alias dir1="cd /home/username/directory1"
alias temp3="cd /home/username/directory1/temp1/temp2/temp3"

then just enter dir1 to goto directory1, temp3 to temp3 folder.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

? question mark, how to get back to the root directory

hiyas I am trying to get back to the root directory: I went into MAIL directory and now I can't get back to the root directory. What are the commands... I have '?' coming up and I cannot proceed with this, HELP Cheers (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: etravels
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

want to create directory with the previous date

I need some help to complet the below script: DATE1=`date "+%d"` #DATE2=`expr $DATE1 - 1` #DATE3=$DATE2`date "+%m%y"` DATE4=`date "+%a"` if ; then DATE2=`expr $DATE1 - 3` else DATE2=`expr $DATE1 - 1` fi (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: sridhusha
7 Replies

3. Linux

how to recover from back up directory

Hey all, Is there any way out to get/restore the deleted file in Linux ? As we do have Recycle Bin in Windows OS. as i deleted some files.. it is available in .snapshot but its a large files.. i cont use "mv" command to copy back. it there any way .. such like in window we click restore... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mail2sant
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

ksh - walking back up a directory PATH

Hi there, I am putting a script together to apply a label to a directory structure but it can't be done down the directory structure, i must start at the end and work back and this is what i am struggling with. for example, i will supply a path as an argument to a script, e.g ... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: surfbus78
11 Replies

5. Solaris

( VxVM ) How to add the removed disk back to previous disk group

Previously , i remove the disk by #vxdg -g testdg -k rmdisk testdg02 But i got error when i -k adddisk bash-2.03# vxdisk list DEVICE TYPE DISK GROUP STATUS c0t0d0s2 auto:none - - online invalid c0t1d0s2 auto:none ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: waibabe
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

alias to go back to previous directory?

Some time ago I was using a linux system and someone had set up and alias called "back" that got me back to the directory I was last in, which was very useful. I've now switched to using a mac, and don't have those aliases available. Can anyone tell me how I could make a an alias that would... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ac2011
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Move back to a directory

~/assign1b/assign1/york/> your current directory is york how do you go back to your home directory with using relative pathname? not using cd alone? :( (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: blackendstars
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Create a directory with previous date

Hi All, can any body tell me how to create a new directory with previous time stamp in HP-UX?. e.g i am creating a file liketouch -t 07022013 kkk -rw-r----- 1 feeds sys 0 Jul 2 20:13 kkksame how can i create a directory? please help me. Thanks & Regards, Krupa (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: krupasindhu18
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash to rename files repeats previous filename in directory

In the below bash processes substitution, if there are 3 files in a directory /home/cmccabe/medex.logs/analysis.log, the filename variable is set to where these files are located. The code does execute, the problem is that if there is a renamed file in the output directory below, it gets... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
0 Replies
answer(1)						      General Commands Manual							 answer(1)

NAME
answer - phone message transcription system SYNOPSIS
DESCRIPTION
The interactive program helps you to transcribe telephone (and other) messages into electronic mail. The program uses your personal alias database and the system alias database, allowing you to use aliases to address the messages. Options supports the following options: Prompt for phone-slip-type message fields. Allow addresses that are not aliases. Operation begins with the prompt. Enter a one-word alias or a two-word user name ("Words" are separated by spaces.) The user name is converted to an alias in the form where f is the first character of the first word, lastword is the second word, and all letters are shifted to lower- case. For example, is converted to the alias Without the option, the specified or converted alias must exist in the alias databases. With the option, if the processed "alias" is not in the alias databases, it is used for the address as is. The fully expanded address is displayed. With the option, you are asked for typical message slip data: Enter the appropriate data. You can put just an or nothing after the pertinent dash prompts, or you can type longer comments. Whatever you enter becomes part of the message. Lines with no added text are omitted from the message. Finally, you are prompted for a message. Enter a message, if any, ending with a blank line. The message is sent and the prompt is repeated. To end the program, enter any one of or at the prompt. EXAMPLES
User input is in normal type. With No Options This example shows a valid alias, an invalid user name, and a valid user name. In the invalid case, the converted alias is displayed in square brackets. With the -u Option If you enter the previous error is treated differently. With the -p Option If you enter the phone-slip prompts are added. The three lines with no added text are deleted from the message. FILES
User alias database data table User alias database directory table User alias database hash table User alias source text System alias database data table System alias database directory table System alias database hash table System alias source text Outbound mail message edit buffer AUTHOR
was developed by HP. SEE ALSO
elm(1), newalias(1). answer(1)