Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Puzzling Problem: Going back to the previous directory Post 302249147 by Legend986 on Monday 20th of October 2008 06:46:19 PM
Old 10-20-2008
Puzzling Problem: Going back to the previous directory

Hi,

I am trying to figure out if there is a way to make linux take me back to the previous directory I was working in. For instance, I am in

/home/username/directory1

Then if I cd into /home/username/directory1/temp1/temp2/temp3

I would like to immediately go back to the previous directory that I visited i.e. directory1 and when I type the same command it should take me back to temp3 so basically switching between directories should be done instantly. Is there any way I could do this in command line?

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

? question mark, how to get back to the root directory

hiyas I am trying to get back to the root directory: I went into MAIL directory and now I can't get back to the root directory. What are the commands... I have '?' coming up and I cannot proceed with this, HELP Cheers (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: etravels
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

want to create directory with the previous date

I need some help to complet the below script: DATE1=`date "+%d"` #DATE2=`expr $DATE1 - 1` #DATE3=$DATE2`date "+%m%y"` DATE4=`date "+%a"` if ; then DATE2=`expr $DATE1 - 3` else DATE2=`expr $DATE1 - 1` fi (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: sridhusha
7 Replies

3. Linux

how to recover from back up directory

Hey all, Is there any way out to get/restore the deleted file in Linux ? As we do have Recycle Bin in Windows OS. as i deleted some files.. it is available in .snapshot but its a large files.. i cont use "mv" command to copy back. it there any way .. such like in window we click restore... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mail2sant
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

ksh - walking back up a directory PATH

Hi there, I am putting a script together to apply a label to a directory structure but it can't be done down the directory structure, i must start at the end and work back and this is what i am struggling with. for example, i will supply a path as an argument to a script, e.g ... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: surfbus78
11 Replies

5. Solaris

( VxVM ) How to add the removed disk back to previous disk group

Previously , i remove the disk by #vxdg -g testdg -k rmdisk testdg02 But i got error when i -k adddisk bash-2.03# vxdisk list DEVICE TYPE DISK GROUP STATUS c0t0d0s2 auto:none - - online invalid c0t1d0s2 auto:none ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: waibabe
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

alias to go back to previous directory?

Some time ago I was using a linux system and someone had set up and alias called "back" that got me back to the directory I was last in, which was very useful. I've now switched to using a mac, and don't have those aliases available. Can anyone tell me how I could make a an alias that would... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ac2011
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Move back to a directory

~/assign1b/assign1/york/> your current directory is york how do you go back to your home directory with using relative pathname? not using cd alone? :( (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: blackendstars
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Create a directory with previous date

Hi All, can any body tell me how to create a new directory with previous time stamp in HP-UX?. e.g i am creating a file liketouch -t 07022013 kkk -rw-r----- 1 feeds sys 0 Jul 2 20:13 kkksame how can i create a directory? please help me. Thanks & Regards, Krupa (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: krupasindhu18
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash to rename files repeats previous filename in directory

In the below bash processes substitution, if there are 3 files in a directory /home/cmccabe/medex.logs/analysis.log, the filename variable is set to where these files are located. The code does execute, the problem is that if there is a renamed file in the output directory below, it gets... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
0 Replies
createhomedir(1)					    BSD General Commands Manual 					  createhomedir(1)

NAME
createhomedir -- create and populate home directories on the local computer. SYNOPSIS
createhomedir [-scbalh] [-n directoryDomainName] [-u username] DESCRIPTION
createhomedir provides several options for creating and populating home directories. OPTIONS
-s creates home directories for server home paths only (default). -c creates home directories for local home paths only. -b creates home directories for both server and local home paths. -a creates home directories for users defined in all directory domains of the server's search path. -l creates home directories for users defined in the local directory domain. -n directoryDomainName creates home directories for users defined in a specific directory domain in the server's search path. -u username creates a home directory for a specific user defined in the domain(s) identified in the -a, -l, or -n parameter. If you omit the -a, -l, and -n parameters when you use the -u parameter, -a is assumed. -i reads username list from standard input and creates specified home directories. Each username should be on its own line. -h usage help. FILES
/usr/sbin/createhomedir location of tool CAVEATS
When using the -a option, search limits of various directory servers (such as Open Directory or Active Directory) can prevent all possible home directories from being created. In this case, you may need to specify the usernames explicitly. Mac OS X June 1, 2019 Mac OS X