Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Pause for response from the log file Post 302249104 by gxdanh on Monday 20th of October 2008 03:44:54 PM
Old 10-20-2008
Pause for response from the log file

Hello,
I am writing a shell script to search an active log file. If an "error" or "aborted" found, echo an acknowledgment message and wait until the user presses ENTER key.

tail -f log.file |nawk '
{print $0}
$0 ~ /error/ {
print "Error found. Press ENTER to acknowledge."
getline i < "-"
}
$0 ~ /aborted/ {
print "Error found. Press ENTER to acknowledge."
getline i < "-"
}
'
Because this is an active log file, the messages keep coming to the log file all the time. The next incoming message, after error or aborted found, is read as response to the message.

I may have multiple Putty sessions running at same time. Only Putty session that displayed message can accept the response from user.

Thanks.
George

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to pause another process?

I guess I posted in wrong forum before. How do I pause another process and then restart it on linux? The other process doesn't listen for anything. Thanks for any help you can offer. Dane :confused: (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: daneensign
1 Replies

2. Programming

pause? where art thou?

ok, im somewhat of an advanced programmer for the windows-side of C/C++, and the system command to pause the console is 'system("pause");'.... i just recently transfered over to Slackware 3.3 (yes, its old, but i <3 text), and pause is not the command for pausing the command line. is there any... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: 01000101
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

pause() problems

well is gets stuck and i dont know why....... pid=fork(); if(pid==0) { pause(); write(1,"child",5); exit(0); } else { sleep(1); kill(pid,SIGCONT); write(1,"parent",5); wait(0); } all=1; (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: IdleProc
1 Replies

4. AIX

How to pause a while loop while reading from a file

Hi, I am building a script to grep for a string in all the files from a folder and display the results. I am reading the files one by one by placing the names in other file using while loop my code is as below while read inp do chk=`grep -c "$str" $pth/$inp` ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sekhar gajjala
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to pause a shell script

Hi, I've written a shell script to take photos with my camera. After every picture taken, the picture is transmitted to the computer via usb and then deleted on the camera. But sometimes there's an error and the picture is not deleted and so, after a certain time, the camera chip will be... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: McLennon
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Calculate response time from log

I have a running log file (jboss_server.log) which rotates at midnight . I need to constantly check and calculate the time for each thread and alert if it doesnt complete within 60 minute. For example my log file has following printed . I want to run a script in cron every 30 minutes and... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gubbu
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Is it better/possible to pause the rsyncing of a very large directory?

Possibly a dumb question, but I'm deciding how I'm going to do this. I'm currently rsyncing a 25TB directory (with several layers of sub directories most of which have video files ranging from 500 megs to 4-5 gigs), from one NAS to another using rsync -av. By the time I need to act ~15TB should... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: DeCoTwc
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Solved] Need Help in reading Response file

Hi All, I have a requirement to read response file which looks like below Ex: NAME=SAM DOB=01/01/1980 ADDRESS= 7658 James Street NewYork 0000 Now, I need to take NAME, DOB, ADDRESS into variables I am fine taking NAME and DOB I need help on how can I... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: mallak
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Pause before exit

6) printf "\n GoodBye! \n\n"; exit ;; I am trying modify the above command to pause a couple of seconds before exiting, so a message can be displayed. Thank you :). (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
8 Replies
XSLT_SET_LOG(3) 							 1							   XSLT_SET_LOG(3)

xslt_set_log - Set the log file to write log messages to

SYNOPSIS
void xslt_set_log (resource $xh, [mixed $log]) DESCRIPTION
This function allows you to set the file in which you want XSLT log messages to, XSLT log messages are different than error messages, in that log messages are not actually error messages but rather messages related to the state of the XSLT processor. They are useful for debugging XSLT, when something goes wrong. By default logging is disabled, in order to enable logging you must first call xslt_set_log(3) with a boolean parameter which enables log- ging, then if you want to set the log file to debug to, you must then pass it a string containing the filename. PARAMETERS
o $ xh -The XSLT processor link identifier, created with xslt_create(3). o $log - This parameter is either a boolean value which toggles logging on and off, or a string containing the logfile in which log errors too. RETURN VALUES
No value is returned. NOTES
Note Please note that file:// is needed in front of the path when using Windows. EXAMPLES
Example #1 Using the XSLT Logging features <?php $xh = xslt_create(); xslt_set_log($xh, true); xslt_set_log($xh, getcwd() . '/myfile.log'); $result = xslt_process($xh, 'dog.xml', 'pets.xsl'); echo $result; xslt_free($xh); ?> PHP Documentation Group XSLT_SET_LOG(3)