Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Pass array variabel to awk from shell Post 302249093 by cfajohnson on Monday 20th of October 2008 03:12:50 PM
Old 10-20-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by appsguy616
Hi
I need to pass an array to Awk script from Shell. Can you please tell how to do it? How to pass this array add_ct_arr to an awk script or access it in awk?

Please put code inside [code] tags.
Quote:
Code:
 i=1
while [ $i -le $entry_count ];
   do
       add_ct_arr[$i]=$(echo ${adda_count} | awk -v i=$i -F" " '{print $i;}') 
       echo ${add_ct_arr[${i}]} 
       i=`expr $i + 1`

The shell can do integer arithmetic; you don't need to call an external program:

Code:
i=$(( $i + 1 ))

Quote:
Code:
 done

awk 'NR==FNR{add_ct_arr[i++]=$0;next}{print $0;}'  file.txt > new_file.txt

I'd pass the array as a single variable and let awk split it:

Code:
## I've used a comma as a separator; use whatever is appropriate
array=$( printf "%s," "${add_ct_arr[@]}" )
awk -v add_ct_arr="$array" 'BEGIN { split(add_ct_arr,ct_array,",") }
...'

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to pass an array from SHELL to C function

Hi, I have an output generated from a shell script like; 0x41,0xF2,0x59,0xDD,0x86,0xD3,0xEF,0x61,0xF2 How can I pass this value to the C function, as below; int main(int argc, char *argv) { unsigned char hellopdu={above value}; } Regards Elthox (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: elthox
1 Replies

2. Programming

How to pass C array as input to Shell script

Hi, In the below C code , i want to pass the array to a unix shel script. my script should called as ex myscript 1,2,3 #include <stdio.h> int main() { int a={1,2,3}; } Thanks, Arun (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: arunkumar_mca
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Can we pass an array of strings from a Perl Program to a Shell Script?

Hi Folks, The subject is my question: Can we pass an array of strings from a Perl Program to a Shell Script? Please provide some sample code. Thanks ---------- Post updated at 11:52 PM ---------- Previous update was at 11:43 PM ---------- I got it. Its here:... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: som.nitk
0 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Pass awk array variable to shell

Hi, all suppose I have following myfile (delimited by tab) aa bb cc dd ee ffand I have following awk command: awk 'BEGIN{FS="\t"}{AwkArrayVar_1=$1;AwkArrayVar_2=$2};END{for(i=0; i<NR; i++) print i, AwkArrayVar_1, AwkArrayVar_2,}' myfileMy question is: how can I assign the awk array... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: littlewenwen
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to pass an array to a function in shell script.?

hi, I have a array say SAP_ARRAY="s1.txt" SAP_ARRAY="s2.txt" how can i pass this full array to a function. here is the sample code i am using.. CHECK_NO_FILES() { FARRAY=$1 echo "FARRAY = $FARRAY" echo "FARRAY = $FARRAY" ............... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Little
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to Assign an shell array to awk array?

Hello All, Can you please help me with the below. #!/bin/bash ARR="No Differences In Stage Between HASH_TOTALS & HASH_TOTALS_COMP For UNINUM:0722075 PROVIDER:5 EXTRACT_DT:30-SEP-12 VER_NUM:1" ARR="No Differences In Stage Between HASH_TOTALS & HASH_TOTALS_COMP For UNINUM:0722075 PROVIDER:5... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ariean
14 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Pass array to shell and print

How do i pass an array from test4.sh to a function in another shell script test5.sh, basically i am sourcing the test5.sh in test4.sh and printing the contents, but not working below are my trial scripts, please help, thank you. #!/bin/bash # /usr/local/dw/archive/test5.sh print_array() {... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ariean
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Pass C shell array to another C shell script(csh) and shell(sh)

Dear Friends, Please help me on this my script name is send.csh In this i have written the statement like this set args = ( city state country price ) I want to pass this array to another c shell called receiver.csh. and i want to use it in this c shell or how to pass to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: SA_Palani
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Pass an array to awk to sequentially look for a list of items in a file

Hello, I need to collect some statistical results from a series of files that are being generated by other software. The files are tab delimited. There are 4 different sets of statistics in each file where there is a line indicating what the statistic set is, followed by 5 lines of values. It... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: LMHmedchem
8 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to pass and read an array in ksh shell script function.?

I'm able to read & print an array in varaible called "filelist" I need to pass this array variable to a function called verify() and then read and loop through the passed array inside the function. Unfortunately it does not print the entire array from inside the funstion's loop. #/bin/ksh... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohtashims
5 Replies
CGI::Pretty(3)						User Contributed Perl Documentation					    CGI::Pretty(3)

NAME
CGI::Pretty - module to produce nicely formatted HTML code SYNOPSIS
use CGI::Pretty qw( :html3 ); # Print a table with a single data element print table( TR( td( "foo" ) ) ); DESCRIPTION
CGI::Pretty is a module that derives from CGI. It's sole function is to allow users of CGI to output nicely formatted HTML code. When using the CGI module, the following code: print table( TR( td( "foo" ) ) ); produces the following output: <TABLE><TR><TD>foo</TD></TR></TABLE> If a user were to create a table consisting of many rows and many columns, the resultant HTML code would be quite difficult to read since it has no carriage returns or indentation. CGI::Pretty fixes this problem. What it does is add a carriage return and indentation to the HTML code so that one can easily read it. print table( TR( td( "foo" ) ) ); now produces the following output: <TABLE> <TR> <TD>foo</TD> </TR> </TABLE> Recommendation for when to use CGI::Pretty CGI::Pretty is far slower than using CGI.pm directly. A benchmark showed that it could be about 10 times slower. Adding newlines and spaces may alter the rendered appearance of HTML. Also, the extra newlines and spaces also make the file size larger, making the files take longer to download. With all those considerations, it is recommended that CGI::Pretty be used primarily for debugging. Tags that won't be formatted The following tags are not formatted: <a>, <pre>, <code>, <script>, <textarea>, and <td>. If these tags were formatted, the user would see the extra indentation on the web browser causing the page to look different than what would be expected. If you wish to add more tags to the list of tags that are not to be touched, push them onto the @AS_IS array: push @CGI::Pretty::AS_IS,qw(XMP); Customizing the Indenting If you wish to have your own personal style of indenting, you can change the $INDENT variable: $CGI::Pretty::INDENT = " "; would cause the indents to be two tabs. Similarly, if you wish to have more space between lines, you may change the $LINEBREAK variable: $CGI::Pretty::LINEBREAK = " "; would create two carriage returns between lines. If you decide you want to use the regular CGI indenting, you can easily do the following: $CGI::Pretty::INDENT = $CGI::Pretty::LINEBREAK = ""; AUTHOR
Brian Paulsen <Brian@ThePaulsens.com>, with minor modifications by Lincoln Stein <lstein@cshl.org> for incorporation into the CGI.pm distribution. Copyright 1999, Brian Paulsen. All rights reserved. This library is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. Bug reports and comments to Brian@ThePaulsens.com. You can also write to lstein@cshl.org, but this code looks pretty hairy to me and I'm not sure I understand it! SEE ALSO
CGI perl v5.16.3 2011-01-24 CGI::Pretty(3)