Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Copy files listed in a text file - whitespace problem. Post 302249082 by 60doses on Monday 20th of October 2008 02:19:14 PM
Old 10-20-2008
Copy files listed in a text file - whitespace problem.

Hi,

Say I have this text file <copy.out> that contains a list of files/directories to be copied out to a different location.

Code:
$ more copy.out
dir1/file1
dir1/file2
dir1/file3
"dir1/white space"
dir1/file4

If I do the following:

Code:
$copy=`more copy.out`

$echo $copy
dir1/file1 dir1/file2 dir1/file3 "dir1/white space" dir1/file4

$cp -v $copy ./temp
dir1/file4 -> ./temp/file4
cp: space": No such file or directory
cp: "dir1/white: No such file or directory
dir1/file3 -> ./temp/file3
dir1/file2 -> ./temp/file2
dir1/file1 -> ./temp/file1

All of the files managed to be copied except for the file with a whitespace.

I have tried using for loop, but the same thing happened.

Code:
$ copy=`while read line; do echo "$line"; done < copy.out`

$ echo $copy
dir1/file1 dir1/file2 dir1/file3 "dir1/white space" dir1/file4

$ cp -v $copy ./temp
dir1/file4 -> ./temp/file4
cp: space": No such file or directory
cp: "dir1/white: No such file or directory
dir1/file3 -> ./temp/file3
dir1/file2 -> ./temp/file2
dir1/file1 -> ./temp/file1

I edited copy.out and replace "dir1/white space" with dir1/white\ space but it didn't work. Just by simply removing the double quotes failed to work either. I understand that by using echo, it will flatten any whitespace in $variable into a single space, so I've tried using double quotes $variable, but again, it failed to copy the file with a whitespace.

I don't like whitespace in files/dirs name, but some people seem to like it, so I'd like to know how to fix this problem.

Any advice offered is appreciated.

Thanks.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. HP-UX

CVSWeb - Directories listed but files not listed

I am using CVSWeb on HPUnix. When i access it, all directories are listed but files are not listed. I am getting the error "NOTE: There are 51 files, but none matches the current tag. " in tomcat sevrer log i am getting the message "rlog warning: Missing revision or branch number after -r"... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ganesh
0 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shellscript to sort duplicate files listed in a text file

I have many pdf's scattered across 4 machines. There is 1 location where I have other Pdf's maintained. But the issues it the 4 machines may have duplicate pdf's among themselves, but I want just 1 copy of each so that they can be transfered to that 1 location. What I have thought is: 1) I have... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: deaddevil
11 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Send a mail to IDs listed in a text file

I have a list of mail ids in text file and want a ksh script that reads this text file and sends a mail to all mail ids with same subject line and content. I am using UX-HP machine and KSH. Thanks for help in advance! (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sriranga
5 Replies

4. Homework & Coursework Questions

copy files inside a text file

Hi Guys , I am new to this and Hi to all ,Need your help I am trying to copy Files which are inside file.txt The files inside file.txt are inthe below order file1.log file2.log file3.log ....... I want to copy these files to an output Directory , Please help (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: hc17972
1 Replies

5. Homework & Coursework Questions

copy files inside a text file

Hi Guys , I am new to this and Hi to all ,Need your help I am trying to copy Files which are inside file.txt The files inside file.txt are inthe below order file1.log file2.log file3.log ....... I want to copy these files to an output Directory , Please help (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: hc17972
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Copy files listed in text file to new directory

I am trying to write a script that will copy all file listed in a text file (100s of file names) to a new directory Assume script will run with main as current working directory and I know how many files/lines will be in List.txt Im trying to work up a test script using this model Contents of... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: IAmTheGrass
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to grep a log file for words listed in separate text file?

Hello, I want to grep a log ("server.log") for words in a separate file ("white-list.txt") and generate a separate log file containing each line that uses a word from the "white-list.txt" file. Putting that in bullet points: Search through "server.log" for lines that contain any word... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: nbsparks
15 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete files listed in text file

Hi Team, Here's the scenario, I have a text file called "file_list.txt". Its content is as follows. 111.tmp 112.tmp 113.tmp 114.tmp These files will present in "workdir" directory. It has many files. But only the files present in file_list.txt has to be deleted from the workdir... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: kmanivan82
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cat files listed in text file and redirect to new directory with same filename

I have a directory that is restricted and I cannot just copy the files need, but I can cat them and redirect them to a new directory. The files all have the date listed in them. If I perform a long listing and grep for the date (150620) I can redirect that output to a text file. Now I need to... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: trigger467
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Want to delete the junk files from a directory which are not listed in a TEXT file

Hello Everyone, I want to delete the image files from a directory, which are not listed in a TEXT file. The directory contains large number of image files (in millions) required / not required. I want to delete the image files which are "not required". I have generated a Text file having... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Praveen Pandit
3 Replies
BUNDLE(1)						      General Commands Manual							 BUNDLE(1)

NAME
bundle - collect files for distribution SYNOPSIS
bundle file ... DESCRIPTION
Bundle writes on its standard output a shell script for rc(1) or a Bourne shell which, when executed, will recreate the original files. Its main use is for distributing small numbers of text files by mail(1). Although less refined than standard archives from ar(1) or tar(1), a bundle file is self-documenting and complete; little preparation is required on the receiving machine. EXAMPLES
bundle mkfile *.[ch] | mail kremvax!boris Send a makefile to Boris together with related and files. Upon receiving the mail, Boris may save the file sans postmark, say in gift/horse, then do cd gift; rc horse; mk SOURCE
/rc/bin/bundle SEE ALSO
ar(1), tar(1), mail(1) BUGS
Bundle will not create directories and is unsatisfactory for non-text files. Beware of gift horses. BUNDLE(1)