Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Get string from file after nth symbol Post 302248923 by ranjithpr on Monday 20th of October 2008 06:37:37 AM
Old 10-20-2008
Below script will print the 2nd and 8th column if the first column is "5" assuming '^' as the delimeter

awk -F"^" '{if($1=="\"5\"") print $2 "," $8}' filename

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How do I get the nth character from a string?

How to I get the nth character from a string in shell script. For instance, I have a string London. I want to get, say the first character (L) from the string. How do I do this in unix shell? Thankx (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: toughman
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

replace nth instance of string

Hi all, I have file with following content ........................... ..........TEST.......... ..........TEST.......... ..................... .....TEST.......... ..................... ..................... .....TEST.......... I want to replace nth "TEST" with "OK" using... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: uttamhoode
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replacing a string in nth line

Hello All, How to replace a string in nth line of a file using sed or awk. For Ex: test.txt Line 1 : TEST1 TEST2 TEST3 Line 2 : TEST1 TEST2 TEST3 TEST4 Line 3 : TEST1 TEST2 TEST3 TEST5 Line 4 : TEST1 TEST2 TEST3 TEST6 Line 5 : TEST1 TEST2 TEST3 TEST7 i want to go to 4th line of a... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: maxmave
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

find string nth occurrence in file and print line number

Hi I have requirement to find nth occurrence in a file and capture data from with in lines (between lines) Data in File. <QUOTE> <SESSION> <ATTRIBUTE NAME='Parameter Filename' VALUE='file1.parm'/> <ATTRIBUTE NAME='Service Name' VALUE='None'/> </SESSION> <SESSION> <ATTRIBUTE... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: tmalik79
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Check if string starts with $ symbol

How do I check that a string $AA22CC3 starts with the "$" symbol ? I have tried : checksum='$AAB3E45' echo $checksum case $checksum in $* ) echo success ; esac Thanks ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: cillmor
4 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

grep line for string up to symbol

Hi, I would like to extract a pattern from a line. The first two characters will always be the same in this pattern, but the proceeding numbers will not be, and the pattern will always be 6 characters long. I would like to get the entire pattern up to a certain symbol, in this case, a period. ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: goodbenito
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to insert file contents after nth occurrence of a string using sed?

Hi, I would like to know how, using sed, be able to insert contents of file2 in file1 after say the second occurrence of a given string? e.g. > cat file1 banana apple orange apple banana pear tangerine apple > cat file2 I don't like apples What would be the sed command to insert... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: dimocn
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Get nth occurence of string from a file

I have file in which the data looks like this, 01,0000000,xxxxxxx/ 02,xxxxxxxx,yyyyyy/ 03,test1,41203016,,/ 01,0000000,xxxxxxx/ 02,xxxxxxxx,yyyyyy/ ... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: r@v!7*7@
16 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to search and replace string from nth column from a file?

I wanted to search for a string and replace it with other string from nth column of a file which is comma seperated which I am able to do with below # For Comma seperated file without quotes awk 'BEGIN{OFS=FS=","}$"'"$ColumnNo"'"=="'"$PPK"'"{$"'"$ColumnNo"'"="'"$NPK"'"}{print}' ${FileName} ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Amit Joshi
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Printing string from last field of the nth line of file to start (or end) of each line (awk I think)

My file (the output of an experiment) starts off looking like this, _____________________________________________________________ Subjects incorporated to date: 001 Data file started on machine PKSHS260-05CP ********************************************************************** Subject 1,... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: samonl
9 Replies
MRTG-LOGFILE(1) 						       mrtg							   MRTG-LOGFILE(1)

NAME
mrtg-logfile - description of the mrtg-2 logfile format SYNOPSIS
This document provides a description of the contents of the mrtg-2 logfile. OVERVIEW
The logfile consists of two main sections. The first Line It stores the traffic counters from the most recent run of mrtg. The rest of the File Stores past traffic rate averates and maxima at increassing intervals. The first number on each line is a unix time stamp. It represents the number of seconds since 1970. DETAILS
The first Line The first line has 3 numbers which are: A (1st column) A timestamp of when MRTG last ran for this interface. The timestamp is the number of non-skip seconds passed since the standard UNIX "epoch" of midnight on 1st of January 1970 GMT. B (2nd column) The "incoming bytes counter" value. C (3rd column) The "outgoing bytes counter" value. The rest of the File The second and remaining lines of the file contains 5 numbers which are: A (1st column) The Unix timestamp for the point in time the data on this line is relevant. Note that the interval between timestamps increases as you progress through the file. At first it is 5 minutes and at the end it is one day between two lines. This timestamp may be converted in OpenOffice Calc or MS Excel by using the following formula =(x+y)/86400+DATE(1970;1;1) (instead of ";" it may be that you have to use "," this depends on the context and your locale settings) you can also ask perl to help by typing perl -e 'print scalar localtime(x)," "' x is the unix timestamp and y is the offset in seconds from UTC. (Perl knows y). B (2nd column) The average incoming transfer rate in bytes per second. This is valid for the time between the A value of the current line and the A value of the previous line. C (3rd column) The average outgoing transfer rate in bytes per second since the previous measurement. D (4th column) The maximum incoming transfer rate in bytes per second for the current interval. This is calculated from all the updates which have occured in the current interval. If the current interval is 1 hour, and updates have occured every 5 minutes, it will be the biggest 5 minute transfer rate seen during the hour. E (5th column) The maximum outgoing transfer rate in bytes per second for the current interval. AUTHOR
Butch Kemper <kemper@bihs.net> and Tobias Oetiker <tobi@oetiker.ch> 2.17.4 2012-01-12 MRTG-LOGFILE(1)