Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting converting the data type in unix shell script Post 302248468 by cfajohnson on Friday 17th of October 2008 06:35:18 PM
Old 10-17-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmanivan82
I am trying to write a shell script to convet into packed decimal (comp -3) format.

I don't know how fractions are handled, but I think this will convert integers:

Code:
case $n in
  -*) sign=D ;;
  *) sign=C ;;
esac
while [ -n "$n" ]
do
  printf "%x" "'$n"
  n=${n#?}
done
echo "$sign"

If you know the formula, please post it, and I'll write a script to do the conversion.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to extract data using UNIX shell script?

Hello All, I am starting with UNIX. Any help is highly appreciated. How to extract data using UNIX shell script? And how do you export data using UNIX shell scripts into Microsoft Excel format? Thank you. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: desiondarun
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to type the Omega symbol Ω in unix shell script

Hi, I have a data file delimited by Ω symbol, I would like to use this in grep and cut command. but How to type this Omega symbol. Thanks Murugesan (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: NagaMurugesan
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Verify the data type in a file with UNIX function

I am seeking help on this UNIX function, please help. Thanks in advance. I have a large file, named as 'MyFile'. It was tab-delmited, I am told that each record in column 1 is unique. How would I verify this with UNIX function or command? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: duke0001
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unix shell script converting temperatures.

:confused:Please I really need help with an assignment question. I need to write a script that will take the input from a file and convert the number from Centigrade(Celcius) to Fahrenheit or vice versa. Thank you so much. I really need it to be detailed. Please remember the input comes from a file. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: starter101
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extracting LONG Data Type from DB via UNIX Script

Hi, I want to extract a XML file which is stored in the database having a data Type as "LONG" via UNIX Scripting. But when i am triggering the SQL via UNIX it is fetching only the first Line and not the complete XML. Can you please suggest if the parameters that i have used needs any... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: dear_abhi2007
0 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to fetch data from oracle in unix shell script

Hi, How to fetch data from oracle database in unix shell scripting. list=`sqlplus -s ds_user/dsuser@EMI <<EOF set feedback off set serveroutput on set heading off set pagesize 0 set tab off select IP_ID from table / exit EOF` The output is not what i expected.I need output in... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Anusha_Reddy
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Data export UNIX shell script

Hi, I want to write a shell script which connect to my database with the following credentials : User name : user PWD : rap_user_1 Hostname : app.Unix.Gsm1900.Org Port : 7862 SID : PTNC1 Once connected to DB i want to fetch data with the help of a SQL statement and expoet... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: neeraj617
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How can i run sql queries from UNIX shell script and retrieve data into text docs of UNIX?

Please share the doc asap as very urgently required. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: 24ajay
1 Replies

9. Programming

Visual Basic converting a decimal data type to a label with currency format

Here is the code that I am working with. I have tried several other things. any suggestions? Lbl_Cost_Output.Text = (dDistance * dCostPerMile).ToString("C") The label is formatted correctly in terms of value 0.00 but no dollar sign appears. Please let me know if you have any questions. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: briandanielz
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extracting LONG Data Type from DB via UNIX Script

Hi, I want to extract a XML file which is stored in the database having a data Type as "LONG" via UNIX Scripting. But when i am triggering the SQL via UNIX it is fetching only the first Line and not the complete XML. Can you please suggest if the parameters that i have used needs any... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Barbara1234
2 Replies
SCRIPT(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						 SCRIPT(1)

NAME
script -- make typescript of terminal session SYNOPSIS
script [-a] [-f] [-q] [-t] [file] DESCRIPTION
Script makes a typescript of everything printed on your terminal. It is useful for students who need a hardcopy record of an interactive session as proof of an assignment, as the typescript file can be printed out later with lpr(1). If the argument file is given, script saves all dialogue in file. If no file name is given, the typescript is saved in the file typescript. Options: -a Append the output to file or typescript, retaining the prior contents. -f Flush output after each write. This is nice for telecooperation: One person does `mkfifo foo; script -f foo' and another can super- vise real-time what is being done using `cat foo'. -q Be quiet. -t Output timeing data to standard error. This data contains two fields, separated by a space. The first field indicates how much time elapsed since the previous output. The second field indicates how many characters were output this time. This information can be used to replay typescripts with realistic typing and output delays. The script ends when the forked shell exits (a control-D to exit the Bourne shell (sh(1)), and exit, logout or control-d (if ignoreeof is not set) for the C-shell, csh(1)). Certain interactive commands, such as vi(1), create garbage in the typescript file. Script works best with commands that do not manipulate the screen, the results are meant to emulate a hardcopy terminal. ENVIRONMENT
The following environment variable is utilized by script: SHELL If the variable SHELL exists, the shell forked by script will be that shell. If SHELL is not set, the Bourne shell is assumed. (Most shells set this variable automatically). SEE ALSO
csh(1) (for the history mechanism), replay(1). HISTORY
The script command appeared in 3.0BSD. BUGS
Script places everything in the log file, including linefeeds and backspaces. This is not what the naive user expects. Linux July 30, 2000 Linux