Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Making things run faster
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Making things run faster Post 302248409 by Legend986 on Friday 17th of October 2008 02:20:26 PM
Old 10-17-2008
Added to that, I have a small question (not so sure if its silly though but can't seem to understand it completely)...

If I have four datasets like in the problem above and all I have to do is grep some text out of it, does it really make a difference doing the jobs parallely on all the datasets or doing them in a sequential order? In fact, to be more precise, the argument goes something like this:

Four datasets are stored on the disk. The CPU has to fetch some data everytime for the four processes to process them and write back to the disk. Now, if it has to provide data to all the four processes, then shouldn't the head keep moving around to provide the data as opposed to just one process where it just keeps reading the data (provided there is no fragmentation). As I said, I'm sorry if my question seems silly but just want to clear some basic concepts.

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

making ssh run without password

Hello Everybody, Could anyone please tell me how to get ssh to work without asking for passwords? (i want to do a ssh <hostname> without getting a request for a password but getting connected straight away) I have attempted the following but to no avail :( ... I tried to generate a SSH... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: rkap
5 Replies

2. Programming

Complicating things?

So basically what im trying to do is ... Open file, read that file, than try to find .. We or we and replace them with I, but not replace the cases where words contain We or we, such as Went, went, etc a and replace them with the, but not replace the cases where words contain a, such as... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bconnor
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

When things doesn't run into crontab???

Could someone explain my problem? I've the following script... #! /bin/ksh ... vmquery -m $MediaID | awk ' BEGIN {FS=": " getline expdate <"ExpDate.txt" } $1 ~ /media ID/ {MediaNumber = $NF} ... $1 ~ /number of mounts/ { "date +%Y"|getline YearToday Year4 = YearToday - 4 if... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: nymus7
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Can anyone make this script run faster?

One of our servers runs Solaris 8 and does not have "ls -lh" as a valid command. I wrote the following script to make the ls output easier to read and emulate "ls -lh" functionality. The script works, but it is slow when executed on a directory that contains a large number of files. Can anyone make... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: shew01
10 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

things root can't do

Hey all my co-workers and I are trying to put together a list of things root "Can't" do on any *NIX OS, so I wanted to come here and see what all we could come up with. Here are two to start this off: write to a read only mount FS kill a tape rewind Please add what you know. Thanks,... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sunadmn
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Making script run faster

Can someone help me edit the below script to make it run faster? Shell: bash OS: Linux Red Hat The point of the script is to grab entire chunks of information that concerns the service "MEMORY_CHECK". For each chunk, the beginning starts with "service {", and ends with "}". I should... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
15 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Making a faster alternative to a slow awk command

Hi, I have a large number of input files with two columns of numbers. For example: 83 1453 99 3255 99 8482 99 7372 83 175 I only wish to retain lines where the numbers fullfil two requirements. E.g: =83 1000<=<=2000 To do this I use the following... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: s052866
10 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Optimize shell script to run faster

data.file: contact { contact_name=royce-rolls modified_attributes=0 modified_host_attributes=0 modified_service_attributes=0 host_notification_period=24x7 service_notification_period=24x7 last_host_notification=0 last_service_notification=0 host_notifications_enabled=1... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
8 Replies
h5diff(1)						      General Commands Manual							 h5diff(1)

NAME
h5diff - Compares two HDF5 files and reports the differences. SYNOPSIS
h5diff file1 file2 [OPTIONS] [object1 [object2 ] ] DESCRIPTION
h5diff is a command line tool that compares two HDF5 files, file1 and file2, and reports the differences between them. Optionally, h5diff will compare two objects within these files. If only one object, object1, is specified, h5diff will compare object1 in file1 with object1 in file2. In two objects, object1 and object2, are specified, h5diff will compare object1 in file1 with object2 in file2. These objects must be HDF5 datasets. object1 and object2 must be expressed as absolute paths from the respective file's root group. Additional information, with several sample cases, can be found in the document H5diff Examples. OPTIONS
file1 file2 The HDF5 files to be compared. -h Print all differences. -r Print only the names of objects that differ; do not print the differences. These objects may be HDF5 datasets, groups, or named datatypes. -n count Print difference up to count differences, then stop. count must be a positive integer. -d delta Print only differences that are greater than the limit delta. delta must be a positive number. The comparison criterion is whether the absolute value of the difference of two corresponding values is greater than delta (e.g., |a-b| > delta, where a is a value in file1 and b is a value in file2). -p relative Print only differences that are greater than a relative error. relative must be a positive number. The comparison criterion is whether the absolute value of the difference 1 and the ratio of two corresponding values is greater than relative (e.g., |1-(b/a)| > relative where a is a value in file1 and b is a value in file2). object1 object2 Specific object(s) within the files to be compared. EXAMPLES
The following h5diff call compares the object /a/b in file1 with the object /a/c in file2: h5diff file1 file2 /a/b /a/c This h5diff call compares the object /a/b in file1 with the same object in file2: h5diff file1 file2 /a/b And this h5diff call compares all objects in both files: h5diff file1 file2 SEE ALSO
h5dump(1), h5ls(1), h5repart(1), h5import(1), gif2h5(1), h52gif(1), h5perf(1) h5diff(1)