Sponsored Content
Special Forums UNIX and Linux Applications debian boot failed on IBM RS6000 7025 F80 Post 302248391 by pitagoras on Friday 17th of October 2008 01:10:44 PM
Old 10-17-2008
hi everybody. due to the described problems, i decided to come back and installed aix 4.3.3. a friend told me to install suse, and googling around suse issues, i found an IBM paper that describes the same issue I am having. These guys said they had to modify debian's partition scheme and solved this problem. the article's title is "Alternative Linux distributions for POWER processor-based systems. A review of unsupported Linux distributions running on POWER5". The link is http://download.boulder.ibm.com/ibmd...nuxdistros.pdf
I will tell all of you soon what happened. in case of broken, links I have a copy of it
thanks to everybody

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

AIX-DualBoot on IBM F80

Hey, I want to dualboot AIX 4.3.3 und AIX 5.1 on an ibm F80 server. Preinstalled was 4.3.3 and I installed 5.1 afterwards. After the installation of 5.1 my server always hangs with a 0555 - Message on the LED-display. The manual tells me that this means problems with the filesystems. ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mod
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Installing PHP on IBM/RS6000 AIX UNIX

I am attempting to install PHP on an IBM RS6000 AIX UNIX box. I am not getting very far and hope someone can point me in the right direction. Here is the message from the output: checking for Apache 1.x module support via DSO through APXS Sorry I was not able to successfully run APXS.... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: jyoung
6 Replies

3. AIX

AIX 4.1.5/RS6000 boot hang, help requested

Hello there! I have a RS-6000 7043-140 machine with AIX version 4.1.5, that is working for almost 8 years now. It has a tty monitor. My problem started when I upgraded my machine to install a gxt250 graphics adapter card together with a 15" AOC VGA Monitor, logitech keyboard and mouse, ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bright_genius
2 Replies

4. Solaris

boot load failed

I modified the partitions on my Solaris 10 disk using format command in "boot cdrom -s" mode and then tried rebooting with "reboot". It said "Boot load failed". Why does this happen? I have faced this error before:( and I went in for a fresh installation of the OS.Can anyone tell me the reason as... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: lydiaEd
1 Replies

5. AIX

{wta}ibm F80-7025

Hi all pros, I'm new here, sorry in advance if i ask in the wrong place. I would like to ask any pro know which forum have discuss about the IBM F80-7025 in AIX system? Thx in advance! KK (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kksoon
1 Replies

6. AIX

Trying to hookup my notebook to my IBM 7046-B50 type rack RS6000/AIX system

Greetings to all: Gentlemen, I've tried extremely hard to hookup my notebook via the hyperterminal to my AIX box (IBM 7046-B50) by virtue of a cross-over cable. Don't know really whats going on ......to my surprise. The notebook says its hookedup successfully but shows no unix login prompt on... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: mhatmi
6 Replies

7. Debian

Red Hat, GNU/Linux, IBM RS6000?

All - I have a stack of RS6000's that need a Linux install - Red Hat 5.2 to be exact. Any tips/pointers on how to get this done without an HMC? I can get the discs to boot, but the install hangs when asking for user interaction - like pressing 'ENTER' to skip disc media check. Any help greatly... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: b1f30
4 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

IBM 44p-170 boot problems

Post moved to more adequate group: AIX https://www.unix.com/aix/84704-ibm-44p-170-boot-problems.html (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vbe
2 Replies

9. AIX

IBM 44p-170 boot problems

I am trying to install AIX 4.3 on a 44P-170 and am having problems. I have the 44P connected to a laptop through the serial port and am trying to boot from the IBM AIX 4.3 CD and I can only get as far as the SMS (I believe) screen. The current Processor Firmware is sh040616 and the system... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: SeanU
3 Replies

10. AIX

Reinstalling AIX 4.3 on IBM RS6000

Hey guys, I'm a newbie in Unix world.. Currently in my office lies an old IBM RS6000 which hasn't been maintained for a very long time. The former admin has resigned and we don't have any documentation or whatsoever regarding the old machine. All I know that it is an RS6000 is because of what's... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: arch4ng3l
4 Replies
RINSE(8)						 Perl Programmers Reference Guide						  RINSE(8)

NAME
rinse - RPM Installation Entity. SYNOPSIS
rinse [options] Help Options: --help Show help information. --manual Read the manual for this script. --version Show the version information and exit. Mandatory Options: --arch Specify the architecture to install. --directory The directory to install the distribution within. --distribution The distribution to install. Customization Options: --add-pkg-list Additional packages to download and install --after-post-install Additionally run the specified script after the post install script. --before-post-install Additionally run the specified script before the post install script. --post-install Run the given post-install script instead of the default files in /usr/lib/rinse/$distro Misc Options: --cache Should we use a local cache? (Default is 1) --cache-dir Specify the directory we should use for the cache. --clean-cache Clean our cache of .rpm files. --config Specify a different configuration file. (Default is /etc/rinse/rinse.conf) --pkgs-dir Specify a different directory containing <distribution>.packages files. --mirror Specify the URL of the mirror. (Default is to read it from /etc/rinse/rinse.conf) --list-distributions Show installable distributions. --print-uris Only show the RPMs which should be downloaded. default files in /usr/lib/rinse/$distro --verbose Enable verbose output. OPTIONS
--arch Specify the architecture to install. Valid choices are 'amd64' and 'i386' only. --add-pkg-list Add a list of additional packages. --cache Specify whether to cache packages (1) or not (0). --cache-dir Specify the directory we should use for the cache. --clean-cache Remove all cached .rpm files. --directory Specify the directory into which the distribution should be installed. --distribution Specify the distribution to be installed. --help Show help information. --mirror Specify the URL of the mirror. Normally this is read from /etc/rinse/rinse.conf. --list-distributions Show the distributions which are installable. --manual Read the manual for this script. --print-uris Only show the files we would download, don't actually do so. --verbose Enable verbose output. --version Show the version number and exit. DESCRIPTION
rinse is a simple script which is designed to be able to install a minimal working installation of an RPM-based distribution into a directory. The tool is analogous to the standard Debian GNU/Linux debootstrap utility. USAGE
To use this script you will need to be root. This is required to mount /proc, run chroot, and more. Basic usage is as simple as: rinse --distribution fedora-core-6 --directory /tmp/test This will download the required RPM files and unpack them into a minimal installation of Fedora Core 6. To see which RPM files would be downloaded, without actually performing an installation or downloading anything, then you may run the following: rinse --distribution fedora-core-6 --print-uris TODO
Short of supporting more distributions or architectures there aren't really any outstanding issues. AUTHOR
Steve -- http://www.steve.org.uk/ LICENSE
Copyright (c) 2007-2010 by Steve Kemp. All rights reserved. Copyright (c) 2011-2013 by Thomas Lange. This module is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. The LICENSE file contains the full text of the license. 2.0.1 2013-01-28 RINSE(8)