Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Scripting to convert underscores to spaces Post 302248377 by brakeb on Friday 17th of October 2008 12:34:27 PM
Old 10-17-2008
PHP Scripting to convert underscores to spaces

Greetings,

I have a bunch of music files that I want to strip the underscores out, and leave only spaces. All that I've found on the web is how to add underscores to files that have spaces, and reversing the "tr" command does not make a difference.

Here is how to convert spaces to underscores:

Code:
#!/bin/sh

ls | while read -r FILE
do
    mv "$FILE" `echo $FILE | tr ' ' '_' `
done

I am able to strip the underscores by typing:
Code:
ls | while read -r FILE
do
    mv "$FILE" `echo $FILE | tr -d '_'`
done

This gets rid of the underscores, but then there are no spaces in the filename (ex. 01_foo becomes 01foo).

The command to change underscores to spaces still eludes me.

Can you help me, or point me in the right direction...

Regards,
Bryan

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

change spaces to underscores script !!!

Hi everybody! Im not good in scripting and I need a script to take all the files with spaces in their names and change it to underscores. alice cooper.mp3 >> alice_cooper.mp3 Thanks in advance. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: piltrafa
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to Rename/Convert Files in Shell Scripting?

Hi All, I want to Rename/Convert all the .doc files in to .pdf format. I am using the following Script. But the final output is not proper. ########################################## cd /u13/prepaid/ftpdata/INfiles/sap/ for name in `ls *.doc` do name1=`echo $name | sed -e... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: hanu_oracle
11 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cannot get to convert multiple spaces to one space

Hi Guys, I am using a Redhat Linux Centos machine and trying to convert multiple spaces in a file to one space. I am using: sed '/./,/^$/!d' input_file > output_file I also tried cat -s Both gave me no change in the output file. I tried this on cygwin and it worked... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: npatwardhan
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

convert rows (with spaces) to columns

Hey all, I have a list in the format ; variable length with spaces more variable information some more variable information and I would like to transform that 'column' into rows ; variable length with spaces more variable information some more variable information Any... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: TAPE
8 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell command to convert low values to spaces

I neead a script which converts low values to the spaces, When I used sed -e 's/\x00/\x20/g' inputfile command it is removing the low values but not replacing it with spaces. Please help me. Its Uregent. Thanks Sam (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: bsreee35
12 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to convert string into integer in shell scripting?

Hi All, sessionid_remote=$(echo "select odb_sessionid from sysopendb where odb_dbname='syscdr';" | sudo -u cucluster ssh ucbu-aricent-vm93 "source /opt/cisco/connection/lib/connection.profile; $INFORMIXDIR/bin/dbaccess sysmaster@ciscounity") for sid in $sessionid_remote;do if * ]];... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: deeptis
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to find no of underscores in a variable?

Hi i have a variable var=a_b_c i want command to find no. of underscores in a variable Thank you (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: pracheth
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

No. of underscores in a file name

Hi I want to filter my files which has more than 1 underscores in it.how can i achieve this. Ex: if my file name is a_b_c, a_b. my command should result only a_b_c Thanks Pracheth (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: pracheth
10 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace spaces with underscores up to first comma but not after the comma

I have a comma delimited file of major codes and descriptions. I want to replace all occurrences of spaces with underscores up to the first comma (only in the first field), but not replace spaces following the comma. For instance I have the following snippet of the file: EK ED,Elementary and... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: tdouty
7 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Convert mutiple spaces file to single tab

I have the following file I wanted to convert mutiple spaces to tab: I tried cat filename | tr ' ' '\t' or sed 's/ */ /' FILE but it looses the format 5557263102 5557263102 5552074858 5726310211 5557263102 5557263102 5557263103 5557263103 2142406768 ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: amir07
2 Replies
UL(1)							    BSD General Commands Manual 						     UL(1)

NAME
ul -- do underlining SYNOPSIS
ul [-i] [-t terminal] [file ...] DESCRIPTION
The ul utility reads the named files (or standard input if none are given) and translates occurrences of underscores to the sequence which indicates underlining for the terminal in use, as specified by the environment variable TERM. The file /etc/termcap is read to determine the appropriate sequences for underlining. If the terminal is incapable of underlining, but is capable of a standout mode then that is used instead. If the terminal can overstrike, or handles underlining automatically, ul degenerates to cat(1). If the terminal cannot underline, underlining is ignored. During the translation some other special characters also get translated. E.g. TAB gets expanded to spaces. The following options are available: -i Underlining is indicated by a separate line containing appropriate dashes '-'; this is useful when you want to look at the underlin- ing which is present in an nroff(1) output stream on a CRT-terminal. -t terminal Overrides the terminal type specified in the environment with terminal. ENVIRONMENT
The LANG, LC_ALL, LC_CTYPE and TERM environment variables affect the execution of ul as described in environ(7). EXIT STATUS
The ul utility exits 0 on success, and >0 if an error occurs. SEE ALSO
colcrt(1), man(1), nroff(1) HISTORY
The ul command appeared in 3.0BSD. BUGS
The nroff(1) command usually outputs a series of backspaces and underlines intermixed with the text to indicate underlining. No attempt is made to optimize the backward motion. BSD
August 4, 2004 BSD