Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users clone systems with tar command Post 302248240 by benja on Friday 17th of October 2008 06:44:46 AM
Old 10-17-2008
succeeded cloning with dd

I found one error, which with permissions. Tar by default maps the user ids to the system where you compress and extract, respectively. On cloning over network I did not take care of this. You can tell tar explicitely by the --numeric-owner option to conserve the original mapping.

I found a howto that described a more elegant way to clone systems using rsync (importantly with the numeric-ids option):
node2> rsync -Saq --numeric-ids --exclude=/proc --exclude=/sys --exclude=/dev
-e 'ssh -c blowfish' node1:/ /mnt/hd

where node2 is the new machine, node1, the machine from where we want to clone.
However this neither worked. ;(
I did this after booting node2 from CD, mounting file system starting /mnt/hd with subdirectories mirrowing node1 filesystem. This implied that /boot on node2 and node1 has same permissions... I don't get it.

I then tried dd with piping to and from netcat, respectively on machine to clone from and machine to clone to, as described in a second howto from same site. It is the first time I heard of netcat (nc) which is a very cool program, a kind of pipe over the network.

On node1 you run:
dd if=/dev/hda conv=sync,noerror bs=64k | nc -l 5000

On node2 you run:
nc 192.168.1.1 5000 | dd of=/dev/hda bs=64k
where 192.168.1.1 is the ip of node1.

This took a lot of time (it said 158GB read/written), but it worked!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Creating create mirrored disk files systems using mkfs command

What is the correct mkfs syntax to create mirrored disk files systems? I need to make the file system 20gb. For example: machine# mkfs -F ufs /dev/md/dsk/d40 size not specified ufs usage: mkfs special size(sectors) \ -m : dump fs cmd line used to make this partition -V : print this... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: GLJ@USC
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Tar Command

I'm new to Unix, :confused: What is a TAR Command? What does it do? I need simple explanation. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: technie07
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need a script to tar all file systems on the machine into one filesystem.

Hi I am very poor at scripting.:o I need to develop a script that should tar up all the filesystems on the machine on to a single filesystem called /tarfilesystem. Any suggestions ... Thank You very much (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: urrahman_zia
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

tar -cvf test.tar `find . -mtime -1 -type f` only tar 1 file

Hi all, 4 files are returned when i issue 'find . -mtime -1 -type f -ls'. ./ora_475244.aud ./ora_671958.aud ./ora_934052.aud ./ora_934050.aud However, when I issued the below command: tar -cvf test.tar `find . -mtime -1 -type f`, the tar file only contains the 1st file -... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ahSher
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

command to clean up file systems

As you will verify, I am a really naive user of AIX 5.1. As such I wonder if you could possibly let me know of a command or procedure I could use to automatically, globally and safely, remove all useless files from my machine. I'm not referring to my own files because I perfectly know which of them... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ahjchr
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

tar command dont tar to original directory

HI, if I have a tarfile called pmapdata.tar that contains tar -tvf pmapdata.tar -rw-r--r-- 0/0 21 Oct 15 11:00 2009 /var/tmp/pmapdata/pmap4628.txt -rw-r--r-- 0/0 21 Oct 14 20:00 2009 /var/tmp/pmapdata/pmap23752.txt -rw-r--r-- 0/0 1625 Oct 13 20:00 2009... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: borderblaster
1 Replies

7. What is on Your Mind?

From Systems Admin to Systems Eng.

I have been wondering how do Systems Administrators do the jump into Systems Engineering? Is it only a matter of time and experience or could I actually help myself get there? Opinions? Books I could read? Thanks a lot for your help! (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: svalenciatech
0 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

tar command to explore multiple layers of tar and tar.gz files

Hi all, I have a tar file and inside that tar file is a folder with additional tar.gz files. What I want to do is look inside the first tar file and then find the second tar file I'm looking for, look inside that tar.gz file to find a certain directory. I'm encountering issues by trying to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bashnewbee
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Single command - unzip files from a tar command

I have a tar file that contains multiple .Z files. Hence I need to issue a tar command followed by a gzip command to fully extract the files. How do I do it in a single command? What I'm doing now is tar xvf a.tar (this will output 1.Z and 2.Z) gzip -d *.Z (to extract 1.Z and 2.Z) (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: ericlim
9 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

UNIX command to check if file name ends with .tar OR if the file is a tar file

Hello Team, Would you please help me with a UNIX command that would check if file is a tar file. if we dont have that , can you help me with UNIX command that would check if file ends with .tar Thanks in advance. (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: sanjaydubey2006
10 Replies
RBTREE(3)						   BSD Library Functions Manual 						 RBTREE(3)

NAME
rbtree -- red-black tree LIBRARY
Standard C Library (libc, -lc) SYNOPSIS
#include <sys/rbtree.h> void rb_tree_init(rb_tree_t *rbt, const rb_tree_ops_t *ops); void * rb_tree_insert_node(rb_tree_t *rbt, void *rb); void rb_tree_remove_node(rb_tree_t *rbt, void *rb); void * rb_tree_find_node(rb_tree_t *rbt, const void *key); void * rb_tree_find_node_geq(rb_tree_t *rbt, const void *key); void * rb_tree_find_node_leq(rb_tree_t *rbt, const void *key); void * rb_tree_iterate(rb_tree_t *rbt, void *rb, const unsigned int direction); DESCRIPTION
rbtree provides red-black trees. A red-black tree is a binary search tree with the node color as an extra attribute. It fulfills a set of conditions: 1. Every search path from the root to a leaf consists of the same number of black nodes. 2. Each red node (except for the root) has a black parent. 3. Each leaf node is black. Every operation on a red-black tree is bounded as O(lg n). The maximum height of a red-black tree is 2lg (n+1). TYPES
rb_tree_t A red-black tree. typedef signed int (*const rbto_compare_nodes_fn)(void *context, const void *node1, const void *node2); The node-comparison operator. Defines an ordering on nodes. Returns a negative value if the first node node1 precedes the second node node2. Returns a positive value if the first node node1 follows the second node node2. Returns 0 if the first node node1 and the second node node2 are identical according to the ordering. typedef signed int (*const rbto_compare_key_fn)(void *context, const void *node, const void *key); The node-key comparison operator. Defines the order of nodes and keys. Returns a negative value if the node node precedes the key key. Returns a positive value if the node node follows the key key. Returns 0 if the node node is identical to the key key accord- ing to the ordering. rb_tree_ops_t Defines the operator for comparing two nodes in the same tree, the operator for comparing a node in the tree with a key, the offset of member rb_node_t within a node, and the opaque context passed to the operators. Members of rb_tree_ops_t are rbto_compare_nodes_fn rbto_compare_nodes; rbto_compare_key_fn rbto_compare_key; size_t rbto_node_offset; void *rbto_context; rb_node_t A node in a red-black tree has this structure as a member. FUNCTIONS
rb_tree_init(rbt, ops) Initialize the red-black tree rbt. Let the comparison operators given by ops define the order of nodes in the tree for the purposes of insertion, search, and iteration. rb_tree_init() always succeeds. rb_tree_insert_node(rbt, rb) Insert the node rb into the tree rbt. Return inserted node on success, already existing node on failure. rb_tree_remove_node(rbt, rb) Remove the node rb from the tree rbt. rb_tree_find_node(rbt, key) Search the tree rbt for a node exactly matching key. If no such node is in the tree, return NULL. Otherwise, return the matching node. rb_tree_find_node_geq(rbt, key) Search the tree rbt for a node that exactly matches key and return it. If no such node is present, return the first node following key or, if no such node is in the tree, return NULL. rb_tree_find_node_leq(rbt, key) Search the tree rbt for a node that exactly matches key and return it. If no such node is present, return the first node preceding key or, if no such node is in the tree, return NULL. rb_tree_iterate(rbt, rb, direction) If direction is RB_DIR_LEFT, return the node in the tree rbt immediately preceding the node rb or, if rb is NULL, return the last node in rbt or, if the tree is empty, return NULL. If direction is RB_DIR_RIGHT, return the node in the tree rbt immediately following the node rb or, if rb is NULL, return the first node in rbt or, if the tree is empty, return NULL. CODE REFERENCES
The rbtree interface is implemented in common/lib/libc/gen/rb.c. SEE ALSO
queue(3), tree(3) HISTORY
The rbtree interface first appeared in NetBSD 6.0. AUTHORS
Matt Thomas <matt@NetBSD.org> wrote rbtree. Niels Provos <provos@citi.umich.edu> wrote the tree(3) manual page. Portions of this page derive from that page. BSD
August 19, 2012 BSD