Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Redirect within ksh
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Redirect within ksh Post 302247986 by podzach on Thursday 16th of October 2008 08:53:50 PM
Old 10-16-2008
Thank you for the post. I found another way of doing it.
I wrap the whole shell in ()
Like this
#!/bin/ksh
(
) 2>&1 | tee imp.log

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. IP Networking

Redirect

I'm sittig behind a firewall that doesn't allow ftp. I have a conection to a UNIX system, connecting throug SSH. Is it possible to redirect the ftp through the UNIX to my computer? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: <Therapy>
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how do redirect in bind

Hello all! Does anyone know how to redirect i link to a host or alias name? Here is the example: i wank to type "Bob" in my browser and be redirected to http://192.168.54.37:7001/Bob/BobMainServlet on that perticular port. Im using Redhat 6.2 with bind 9.2.3 regards... dOzY (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: dozy
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

import var and function from ksh script to another ksh script

Ih all, i have multiples ksh scripts for crontab's unix jobs they all have same variables declarations and some similar functions i would have a only single script file to declare my variables, like: var1= "aaa" var2= "bbb" var3= "ccc" ... function ab { ...} function bc { ... }... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: wolfhurt
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

KSH problem - how do i redirect three times?

i need to output an ls command to a file but also capture any errors from that command and output them to a log file and the screen. if it's only possible to output them to a log file and not the screen then that's fine. this is what i've tried so far, but it won't populate log.txt. i've... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: mjays
16 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

KSH script to run other ksh scripts and output it to a file and/or email

Hi I am new to this Scripting process and would like to know How can i write a ksh script that will call other ksh scripts and write the output to a file and/or email. For example ------- Script ABC ------- a.ksh b.ksh c.ksh I need to call all three scripts execute them and... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pacifican
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

KSH Redirect to Pipe (">|") Syntax

Occasionally I see this in ksh scripts: somepgm >| someoutputfile This appears to be redirecting the output of somepgm to the file someoutputfile, and it does do so. But when you remove the pipe symbol "|" from this command, output simply goes to the screen (stdout). Why do we need the... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tanuka
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

KSH - mailx - Redirect the undelivered mail

Hi, I need to create one KSH which will send mail to set of recipients using "mailx" command like below. mailx -s "Test mail" "test@yahoo.com, test@gmail.com" <$output.txt The recipients are in different domains (like yahoo, gmail, etc.). My requirement is, if any mail is undelivered,... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Matrix2682
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Redirect o/p from shell

hi, I've a shell which does few manipulations on different text files. I need to divert all the output to a single file. i dont want to mention the o/p file name in command prompt (or) in every shell command. Is it possible to mention it part of the shell? Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dvah
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Difference Between executing llike ./myscript.ksh and . ./myscript.ksh

Hi , What is the diffence between executing the script like ./myscript.ksh . ./myscript.ksh I have found 2 difference but could not find the reason 1. If i export a variable in myscript.ksh and execute it like . ./myscript.ksh the i can access the other scripts that are present in... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: max_hammer
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

ksh- redirect stderr to file and then modify the file

I have the following: remsh $host -n 2>>syslog_issue_list.txt grep -i -e "EMS" -e "error" -e "warning" -e "excessive" /var/adm/syslog/syslog.log | awk /"$DATE1"/ | awk -vhost="$host" '!/remsh|telnetd/{print host "\n", $0 >> "syslog_issue_list.txt"}' I am creating a health script that has... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: chipblah84
4 Replies
shells(4)							   File Formats 							 shells(4)

NAME
shells - shell database SYNOPSIS
/etc/shells DESCRIPTION
The shells file contains a list of the shells on the system. Applications use this file to determine whether a shell is valid. See getuser- shell(3C). For each shell a single line should be present, consisting of the shell's path, relative to root. A hash mark (#) indicates the beginning of a comment; subsequent characters up to the end of the line are not interpreted by the routines which search the file. Blank lines are also ignored. The following default shells are used by utilities: /bin/bash, /bin/csh, /bin/jsh, /bin/ksh, /bin/pfcsh, /bin/pfksh, /bin/pfsh, /bin/sh, /bin/tcsh, /bin/zsh, /sbin/jsh, /sbin/sh, /usr/bin/bash, /usr/bin/csh, /usr/bin/jsh, /usr/bin/ksh, /usr/bin/pfcsh, /usr/bin/pfksh, /usr/bin/pfsh, and /usr/bin/sh, /usr/bin/tcsh, /usr/bin/zsh. Note that /etc/shells overrides the default list. Invalid shells in /etc/shells may cause unexpected behavior (such as being unable to log in by way of ftp(1)). FILES
/etc/shells lists shells on system SEE ALSO
vipw(1B), ftpd(1M), sendmail(1M), getusershell(3C), aliases(4) SunOS 5.10 4 Jun 2001 shells(4)