Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Redirecting 'find' output...
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Redirecting 'find' output... Post 302247979 by Smiling Dragon on Thursday 16th of October 2008 08:04:01 PM
Old 10-16-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan-e
...well it now outputs the full path of every file it tests, rather than the ones I'm filtering for...

Have I just found a bug in the illustrious 'NIX? Can anyone reproduce (or not) what I have described in the original post? Is this a common variety of glitch in ux? Smilie

Im scared!! and I need answers!!!
Unless I'm missing something here (that happens rather often unfortunately Smilie), your command doesn't actually instruct find to display the output but instead relies on a bit of smarts find has that prints what it matches if stdout is not redirected... I'd not have expected the first one (that does work) to work correctly either Smilie

As suggested by zaxxon, add a -print or -ls to actually output the name on stdout.
If it's showing every file, I would guess you have the -print before the rest of the tests (it does them in order, -print and -ls always return true).

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Redirecting the startup output

Is there any way to redirect the output of the startup of a sun E250. Im basically trying to troubleshoot some init scripts and it would be useful to have a log of the startup output. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: blakmk
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

redirecting the output of aspell

Hi, I have 2 identical servers both running aspell but for some reason I can't redirect the output to a file on one of them. This is what I'm trying to do: echo feck | aspell -l > errors.txt On one machine this works fine but the other it doesn't (the file is created but it is empty). ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: leekb
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Redirecting OUTPUT

Hi, I want to move the output of a command/script to a file as well as to to be displayed on stdout. Can anybody help me in this. Thanks in advace .. -Chanakya M (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Chanakya.m
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

help redirecting output from mailbot

Hello...I'm having problems redirecting output from a script from a mailbot. It is a perl script that has the email sent to op_shipper piped into it. I am receiving the email with sendmail and here is what my alias looks like for the script am I having problems with in /etc/aliases: ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kuliksco
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Redirecting output to file

Hi, Below is the whole string which is to be redirected to the new file. su - oracle -c "exp $user/$pass file=/oracle/oradata/backup/exp_trn_tables_`date +%d_%b_20%y_%H_%M_%S`.dmp log=/oracle/oradata/backup/exp_trn_tables_`date +%d_%b_20%y_%H_%M_%S`.log tables=table1,table2 statistics=none" ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: milink
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

redirecting script output

Hello, I am interested in taking the output from a script i wrote and using it as input to a different script i wrote. So for example i want to take the output from program2 and use it as a parameter for program1. I didnt think i could use the >> symbols because i think that is just for .txt... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: GmGeubt
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

find: missing argument to `-exec' while redirecting using find in perl

Hi Friends, Please help me to sort out this problem, I am running this in centos o/s and whenever I run this script I am getting "find: missing argument to `-exec' " but when I run the same code in the command line I didn't find any problem. I am using perl script to run this ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ramkumarselvam
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

redirecting output using if-then-else in awk

I am trying to filter records based on number of "|", delimiter in my application. If number of "|" is greater than 14 its a bad record, else its a good record. I have to redirect output to two different files based on the if-then-else evaluation in AWK. if number of “|” in file_0 > 14 ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: siteregsam
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Redirecting the output

For example, if we run the below command, symcfg list -thin -pool , results in an output most of the times and if the out is generated i'm able to redirect the output to a file. but sometimes it doesnt result any output and even though the output is being redirected, i can see "No Thin Pools "... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: web2moha
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Redirecting output using if with awk

I have this line were I am selecting some fields from one file and creating a new file for the selected data. awk -F "\"*,\"*" '{print $1"," $2}' folderone/list.txt > folderone/qlist.txt This works, but then from this new file I want it to create a new file where it separates data: $2 >5 it... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rluna
2 Replies
AMIN(1)                                                       General Commands Manual                                                      AMIN(1)

NAME
amin - notify writers that you are busy SYNOPSIS
amin [-ynesp] command [args...] DESCRIPTION
Amin is used when you don't want to be written while running a command. It runs the command given normally. If your message permissions (see mesg(1)) are off, it does nothing much else. If your messages are on, people writing you with write(1) will be warned that you are running that command and will be given the opportunity to change their minds about writing you. The -n option may be used to turn your messages entirely off for the duration of the execution of command. People writing you will get "Permission denied". The -y option turns your message permissions on for the duration of the execution of the command. The -e may be used after either -n or -y to indicate that the logins listed in the .yeswrite or the .nowrite files respectively are exceptions to the message permissions set. The default is -s which leaves your message permissions in their original state. In any case, after the command is com- plete, your permissions will be restored to the original state. The -p flag causes all telegrams sent to you while the command is running to be saved. They are displayed as soon as the command is com- plete. If used with the -n flag, writes are refused, but telegrams are still saved. If you have designated yourself as a helper, you will still be marked on the finger(1) output as a helper while you are running amin but people doing ``write help'' will not be connected to you, even if you have the helper flag set to ``Y''. AUTHOR
Jan Wolter FILES
/etc/wrttmp to find message permissions /etc/utmp to find user SEE ALSO
mesg(1), finger(1), write(1), huh(1). 7th Edition July 1, 1991 AMIN(1)