Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Swapping or switching 2 lines using sed Post 302247911 by Franklin52 on Thursday 16th of October 2008 04:30:03 PM
Old 10-16-2008
With awk:

Code:
awk 'NR==3 {
  s=$0
  getline;s=$0"\n"s
  getline;print;print s
  next
}1' file

Regards

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Swapping lines beginning with certain words using sed/awk

I have a large file which reads like this: fixed-address 192.168.6.6 { hardware ethernet 00:22:64:5b:db:b1; host X; } fixed-address 192.168.6.7 { hardware ethernet 00:22:64:5b:db:b3; host Y; } fixed-address 192.168.6.8 { hardware ethernet 00:22:64:5b:db:b4; host A; }... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ksk
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

swapping lines that match a condition using sed, perl or the like

I'm a bit new to regex and sed/perl stuff, so I would like to ask for some advice. I have tried several variations of scripts I've found on the net, but can't seem to get them to work out just right. I have a file with the following information... # Host 1 host 45583 { filename... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: TheBigAmbulance
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk: switching lines and concatenating lines?

Hello, I have only recently begun with awk and need to write this: I have an input consisting of a couple of letters, a space and a number followed by various other characters: fiRcQ 9( ) klsRo 9( ) pause fiRcQ 9( ) pause klsRo continue 1 aPLnJ 62( ) fiRcQ continue 5 ... and so on I... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Borghal
7 Replies

4. Homework & Coursework Questions

Swapping Fields with Sed

Use and complete the template provided. The entire template must be completed. If you don't, your post may be deleted! 1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data: The assignment is to convert a text table to csv format. I've got the cleaning up done, but I need to swap two... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: VoiceInADesert
0 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Swapping three lines

I have some text: <date>some_date</date> <text>some_text</text> <name>some_name<name> and I want to transform it to smthng like that: some_name on some_date: some_text I've tried sed: sed 's/<text>\(.*\)<\/text> <name>\(.*\)<\/name>/\2 - \1/' but it says unterminated... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: dsjkvf
13 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Switching lines

Hi I'm quite new with linux. Very simple, I need to swap every 2 lines in a file. Example INPUT: a a a b b b x x x y y y s s s t t t OUTPUT: b b b a a a y y y x x x t t t (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: hernand
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

AWK swapping fields on different lines

Hi All, Sorry if this question has been posted elsewhere, but I'm hoping someone can help me! Bit of an AWK newbie here, but I'm learning (slowly!) I'm trying to cobble a script together that will save me time (is there any other kind?), to swap two fields (one containing whitespace), with... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Bravestarr
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

ksh sed - Extract specific lines with mulitple occurance of interesting lines

Data file example I look for primary and * to isolate the interesting slot number. slot=`sed '/^primary$/,/\*/!d' filename | tail -1 | sed s'/*//' | awk '{print $1" "$2}'` Now I want to get the Touch line for only the associate slot number, in this case, because the asterisk... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: popeye
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Swapping the 1st 4 lines only

How can you swap the first 4 line only, the rest will stay the same. thanks #!/bin/sh line=4 awk -v var="$line" 'NR==var { s=$0 getline;s=$0"\n"s getline;print;print s next }1' fileko.tx . desired output: (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: invinzin21
8 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Swapping lines

Hi there, I have a text that I'm trying to format into something more readable. However, I'm stuck in the last step. I've searched and tried things over the internet with no avail. OS: Mac After parsing the original text that I won't put here, I managed to get something like this, but this... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kibou
8 Replies
GETDELIM(3)						   BSD Library Functions Manual 					       GETDELIM(3)

NAME
getdelim, getline -- read a delimited record from a stream LIBRARY
Standard C Library (libc, -lc) SYNOPSIS
#include <stdio.h> ssize_t getdelim(char ** restrict lineptr, size_t * restrict n, int delimiter, FILE * restrict stream); ssize_t getline(char ** restrict lineptr, size_t * restrict n, FILE * restrict stream); DESCRIPTION
The getdelim() function reads from the stream until it encounters a character matching delimiter, storing the input in *lineptr. The buffer is NUL-terminated and includes the delimiter. The delimiter character must be representable as an unsigned char. If *n is non-zero, then *lineptr must be pre-allocated to at least *n bytes. The buffer should be allocated dynamically; it must be possible to free(3) *lineptr. getdelim() ensures that *lineptr is large enough to hold the input, updating *n to reflect the new size. The getline() function is equivalent to getdelim() with delimiter set to the newline character. RETURN VALUES
The getdelim() and getline() functions return the number of characters read, including the delimiter. If no characters were read and the stream is at end-of-file, the functions return -1. If an error occurs, the functions return -1 and the global variable errno is set to indi- cate the error. The functions do not distinguish between end-of-file and error, and callers must use feof(3) and ferror(3) to determine which occurred. EXAMPLES
The following code fragment reads lines from a file and writes them to standard output. char *line = NULL; size_t linesize = 0; ssize_t linelen; while ((linelen = getline(&line, &linesize, fp)) != -1) fwrite(line, linelen, 1, stdout); if (ferror(fp)) perror("getline"); ERRORS
[EINVAL] lineptr or n is a NULL pointer. [EOVERFLOW] More than SSIZE_MAX characters were read without encountering the delimiter. The getdelim() and getline() functions may also fail and set errno for any of the errors specified in the routines fflush(3), malloc(3), read(2), stat(2), or realloc(3). SEE ALSO
ferror(3), fgets(3), fopen(3) STANDARDS
The getdelim() and getline() functions conform to IEEE Std 1003.1-2008 (``POSIX.1''). BSD
June 30, 2010 BSD