Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting echo 2 txt files to screen no carraige return Post 302247426 by joeyg on Wednesday 15th of October 2008 05:13:28 PM
Old 10-15-2008
Hammer & Screwdriver Here is one approach

Code:
> cat file110
file 110 ends here*
> cat file111
file 111 ends here*
> cat file110 file111 | tr -d "\n" ; echo
file 110 ends here*file 111 ends here*
>

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

echo or print to screen and file

I did a search for this topic but I couldn't find it and I was sure I have seen something similar before (hard because I am not sure of the criteria for the keywords) What I was looking for was to be able to echo a message to the screen from a bash.sh script at the same time logging it to a... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Shakey21
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

is it possible to echo 'some text' every 10 minutes on my screen

is it possible to echo 'some text' every 10 minutes on my screen continues , without cron. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vkandati
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

set variable to Home, then echo it to screen

Major Newbie here folks. I'm trying to set a variable to my Home directory and then echo it to the screen. Any and all help is greatly appreciated. Thanks Anna (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: amidget
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

echo to both screen and a file

Please help me to simplify my below script. #!/bin/bash LOG_FILE=/tmp/log.txt echo "Hello" echo "Hello" >> /tmp/log.txt Is there anyway, that I can echo "Hello" to both screen and file with one single echo command ? (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: phamp008
6 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

echo "ABC" > file1.txt file2.txt file3.txt

Hi Guru's, I need to create 3 files with the contents "ABC" using single command. Iam using: echo "ABC" > file1.txt file2.txt file3.txt the above command is not working. pls help me... With Regards / Ganapati (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ganapati
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

perl : stdout is not return to screen

Hello All, I have a perl script , and the STDERR and additional FH is redirected to the STDOUT like below: open STDOUT ,">>$log" or die "$! :: $log\n"; open STDERR ,">&STDOUT" or die "$! :: Can redirect STDERR to STDOUT\n"; select STDERR; $|=1; open LOG ,">&STDOUT" or die "$! :: Can... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Alalush
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Return vs. Echo

In a Ksh functions, when you have both echo and return respectively - what does it do. E.g. Func B () { ..... { ..... echo $Varaible } Return 0 } Func A () { $Var1 = Func B() .... .... } (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: gagan8877
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

echo command with screen and ssh

Hi, i need to execute echo command to write in a txt file on a remote machine. i did it in this way: ssh user@remotemachine "echo "put text here" > /home/user/myfile.txt" I tried to run the same command within a detached screen in this way: ssh user@remotemachine screen -dm "echo "put... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: brembo
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to echo $variable into txt file?

Hello i tried many times echo $variables into text file with no success for example: echo "#!/bin/sh BBHTAG=RFOCLT_check # What we put in bb-hosts to trigger this test COLUMN=RFOCLT # Name of the column, often same as tag in bb-hosts $BBHOME/bin/bbhostgrep $BBHTAG | while read... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mogabr
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Echo both to the screen and to a file

In shellscript, I want to display echo message in console and in the log file. please help me to display this message in two places. I am using below statment to display messsage, but it is displaying in log file only. echo "Server Already running" >> serverlog 2>&1 (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kri
3 Replies
ECHO(1)                                                            User Commands                                                           ECHO(1)

NAME
echo - display a line of text SYNOPSIS
echo [SHORT-OPTION]... [STRING]... echo LONG-OPTION DESCRIPTION
Echo the STRING(s) to standard output. -n do not output the trailing newline -e enable interpretation of backslash escapes -E disable interpretation of backslash escapes (default) --help display this help and exit --version output version information and exit If -e is in effect, the following sequences are recognized: \ backslash a alert (BEL)  backspace c produce no further output e escape f form feed new line carriage return horizontal tab v vertical tab NNN byte with octal value NNN (1 to 3 digits) xHH byte with hexadecimal value HH (1 to 2 digits) NOTE: your shell may have its own version of echo, which usually supersedes the version described here. Please refer to your shell's docu- mentation for details about the options it supports. AUTHOR
Written by Brian Fox and Chet Ramey. REPORTING BUGS
GNU coreutils online help: <http://www.gnu.org/software/coreutils/> Report echo translation bugs to <http://translationproject.org/team/> COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2017 Free Software Foundation, Inc. License GPLv3+: GNU GPL version 3 or later <http://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html>. This is free software: you are free to change and redistribute it. There is NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law. SEE ALSO
Full documentation at: <http://www.gnu.org/software/coreutils/echo> or available locally via: info '(coreutils) echo invocation' GNU coreutils 8.28 January 2018 ECHO(1)