Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers how to display specific lines of a specific file Post 302247382 by raidkridley on Wednesday 15th of October 2008 02:46:59 PM
Old 10-15-2008
thanks

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Assigning a specific format to a specific column in a text file using awk and printf

Hi, I have the following text file: 8 T1mapping_flip02 ok 128 108 30 1 665000-000008-000001.dcm 9 T1mapping_flip05 ok 128 108 30 1 665000-000009-000001.dcm 10 T1mapping_flip10 ok 128 108 30 1 665000-000010-000001.dcm 11 T1mapping_flip15 ok 128 108 30... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: goodbenito
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Display File with a specific letter

Hi im a noob in Unix Do you guys know what command display you the files that have the character n in there name im not looking that they have the n in the beginning or in the end im looking that in search the entire string to see if it have the character n i try this ls n* but only show... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kaziduz
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

substitute a string on a specific position for specific lines

I woud like to substitue a string on a specific position for specific lines I've got a file and I would like to change a specific string from "TOCHANGE" to "ABCABCAB" For every line (except 1,2, 3 and the last one) , I need to check between the 9th and the 16th digits. For the 3rd line, I... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: BSF
7 Replies

4. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

Display a specific words from a multiple lines

well, i am so not familiar with this kind of things but i am gonna explain extactly what i am looking for so hopfully someone can figure it out :) i have a command that shows memory usage besides the process name, for example(the command output): 500 kb process_1 600 kb process_2 700 kb... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Portabello
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Print Specific lines when found specific character

Hello all, I have thousand file input like this: file1: $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$ | | | |$$ $$ UERT | TTYH | TAFE | FRFG |$$ $$______|______|________|______|$$ $$ | | | |$$ $$ 1 | DISK | TR1311 | 1 |$$ $$ 1 |... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: attila
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Display specific lines content from the file

Hell, I want to grep certain word from file and display above 2 lines and after two lines. Here is the content of sample file. Mar 14, 2013 12:56:59 AM Agent.Agent SendTo INFO: Connection to server:7041 - Credential Transmit Successesful Mar 14, 2013 8:54:21 AM cgent SendTo WARNING:... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: balareddy
7 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Quick UNIX command to display specific lines in the middle of a file from/to specific word

This could be a really dummy question. I have a log text file. What unix command to extract line from specific string to another specific string. Is it something similar to?: more +/"string" file_name Thanks (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: aku
4 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Printing lines with specific strings at specific columns

Hi I have a file which is tab-delimited. Now, I'd like to print the lines which have "chr6" string in both first and second columns. Could anybody help? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: a_bahreini
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract specific line in an html file starting and ending with specific pattern to a text file

Hi This is my first post and I'm just a beginner. So please be nice to me. I have a couple of html files where a pattern beginning with "http://www.site.com" and ending with "/resource.dat" is present on every 241st line. How do I extract this to a new text file? I have tried sed -n 241,241p... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: dejavo
13 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search and replace specific positions of specific lines

Hi, I have a file with hundreds of lines. I want to search for particular lines starting with 4000, search and replace the 137-139 position characters; which will be '000', with '036'. Can all of this be done without opening a temp file and then moving that temp file to the original file name. ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: dsid
7 Replies
TAIL(1) 						    BSD General Commands Manual 						   TAIL(1)

NAME
tail -- display the last part of a file SYNOPSIS
tail [-F | -f | -r] [-b number | -c number | -n number] [file ...] DESCRIPTION
The tail utility displays the contents of file or, by default, its standard input, to the standard output. The display begins at a byte, line or 512-byte block location in the input. Numbers having a leading plus (``+'') sign are relative to the beginning of the input, for example, ``-c +2'' starts the display at the second byte of the input. Numbers having a leading minus (``-'') sign or no explicit sign are relative to the end of the input, for example, ``-n 2'' displays the last two lines of the input. The default starting location is ``-n 10'', or the last 10 lines of the input. The options are as follows: -b number The location is number 512-byte blocks. -c number The location is number bytes. -f The -f option causes tail to not stop when end of file is reached, but rather to wait for additional data to be appended to the input. The -f option is ignored if the standard input is a pipe, but not if it is a FIFO. -F The -F option implies the -f option, but tail will also check to see if the file being followed has been renamed or rotated. The file is closed and reopened when tail detects that the filename being read from has a new inode number. The -F option is ignored if reading from standard input rather than a file. -n number The location is number lines. -r The -r option causes the input to be displayed in reverse order, by line. Additionally, this option changes the meaning of the -b, -c and -n options. When the -r option is specified, these options specify the number of bytes, lines or 512-byte blocks to display, instead of the bytes, lines or blocks from the beginning or end of the input from which to begin the display. The default for the -r option is to display all of the input. If more than a single file is specified, each file is preceded by a header consisting of the string ``==> XXX <=='' where ``XXX'' is the name of the file. DIAGNOSTICS
The tail utility exits 0 on success, and >0 if an error occurs. SEE ALSO
cat(1), head(1), sed(1) STANDARDS
The tail utility is expected to be a superset of the IEEE Std 1003.2-1992 (``POSIX.2'') specification. In particular, the -F, -b and -r options are extensions to that standard. The historic command line syntax of tail is supported by this implementation. The only difference between this implementation and historic versions of tail, once the command line syntax translation has been done, is that the -b, -c and -n options modify the -r option, i.e. ``-r -c 4'' displays the last 4 characters of the last line of the input, while the historic tail (using the historic syntax ``-4cr'') would ignore the -c option and display the last 4 lines of the input. HISTORY
A tail command appeared in PWB UNIX. BSD
June 6, 1993 BSD