Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming A trivial XOR doubt in a program Post 302247279 by royalibrahim on Wednesday 15th of October 2008 10:09:49 AM
Old 10-15-2008
A trivial XOR doubt in a program

Hi,

I am trying to reverse a string using the following program utilizing the Exclusive OR bit operation:

Code:
int main() {
   char str[] = "Quraish";
   char *p = str, temp;
   char *q = str + strlen(str) - 1;
   while ( p != q ) {
      if (*p != *q) {
         *p ^= *q; *q ^= *p; *p ^= *q;
      }
      p++; q--;
   }
   printf("%s \n", str);
}

The above code works perfectly alright, but if I change the line
Code:
*p ^= *q; *q ^= *p; *p ^= *q;

to
Code:
*p ^= *q ^= *p ^= *q;

(I am trying to do swapping inline)
it prints an empty string. Could anyone tell me why this behaviour is?

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

trivial awk question

i posted a reply the other day and needed an answer to this question while i was clarifyiing a few matter.. "how to compare to date variable in string format without having to compare word for word".. my reply was to try to use awk to compare the strings.. I wasn't quite sure if i remembered how... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: moxxx68
2 Replies

2. Programming

resetting counter using bitwise XOR

Hi ! How to reset a variable to 0 after a reset value, say 10 using bitwise XOR. For example, int cnt=0; if(cnt<10) cnt++; else cnt = 0; How can we achieve this by using XOR only. thanks, (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mrgubbala
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

xor 2 values in ksh?

i have to xor two variables in ksh. how to do that? tia, DN2 (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: DukeNuke2
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Doubt in this trivial awk code

Hi, What is the difference in the following two awk one-liners? awk -F, '{s++} END {if (s == 1 && $4 > "09:10:00") {print $2, $4}}' f1 awk -F, '{s++} s == 1 && $4 > "09:10:00" {print $2, $4}' f1 Even though, all the 2nd column values have duplicate records, the first code does not give any... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: royalibrahim
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Trivial perl doubt about FILE

Hi, In the following perl code: #!/usr/bin/perl -w if (open(FILE, "< in_file")) { while (<FILE>) { chomp($_); if ($_ =~ /patt$/) { my $f = (split(" ", $_)); print "$f\n"; } } close FILE; } Why changing the "FILE" as... (4 Replies)
4 Replies

6. Programming

Trivial doubt about C function pointer

Hi, In the below C code, #include <stdio.h> void print() { printf("Hello\n"); } int main() { void (*f)() = (void (*)()) print; f(); (*f)(); } I wonder, how the syntaxes "f()" and "(*f)()" are treated as same without any error? Is this an improvement or ANSI/ISO... (1 Reply)
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

XOR between strings

I am aware of truth table for XOR between binary values . Out of curious in would like to know how XOR works between 2 strings which contain alphabets . For example A ^ B How it works internally? Please help me to understand this Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pandeesh
1 Replies

8. FAQ Submission Queue

Analysis in bitwise XOR

The purpose of this article is revealing the unrevealed parts of the bitwise XOR. As we aware, the truth table for the XOR operator is : A B A^B 0 0 0 0 1 1 1 0 1 1 1 0 For example , 1^2 will be calculated as given below: First the operands... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pandeesh
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

XOR two strings

hi, i am new to shell programming, can u please tell me how to perform XOr operation of two strings. i tried to do xor using ^symbol but this doesnt work. help me with this Thanks (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: anil_uvce
12 Replies
PAPS(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   PAPS(1)

NAME
paps - UTF-8 to PostScript converter using Pango SYNOPSIS
paps [options] files... DESCRIPTION
paps reads a UTF-8 encoded file and generates a PostScript language rendering of the file. The rendering is done by creating outline curves through the pango ft2 backend. OPTIONS
These programs follow the usual GNU command line syntax, with long options starting with two dashes (`-'). A summary of options is included below. --landscape Landscape output. Default is portrait. --columns=cl Number of columns output. Default is 1. --font=desc Set the font description. Default is Monospace 12. --rtl Do rtl layout. --paper ps Choose paper size. Known paper sizes are legal, letter, a4. Default is A4. --bottom-margin=bm Set bottom margin in postscript points (1/72 inch). Default is 36. --top-margin=tm Set top margin. Default is 36. --left-margin=lm Set left margin. Default is 36. --right-margin=rm Set right margin. Default is 36. --help Show summary of options. --header Draw page header for each page. --markup Interpret the text as pango markup. --encoding=ENCODING Assume the documentation encoding is ENCODING. --lpi Set the lines per inch. This determines the line spacing. --cpi Set the characters per inch. This is an alternative method of specifying the font size. --stretch-chars Indicates that characters should be stretched in the y-direction to fill up their vertical space. This is similar to the texttops behaviour. AUTHOR
paps was written by Dov Grobgeld <dov.grobgeld@gmail.com>. This manual page was written by Lior Kaplan <kaplan@debian.org>, for the Debian project (but may be used by others). April 17, 2006 PAPS(1)