Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users clone systems with tar command Post 302247202 by benja on Wednesday 15th of October 2008 07:13:22 AM
Old 10-15-2008
Thanks for your help, otheus.

I am administrating DHCP on a head node together with a central /etc/hosts.

You are right about ssh private keys, however this is not my problem. I need to login from just one machine (head node) to the clones and this remote login seems to work with the new machines (because the private key of my head node corresponds to the (identical) public key on my clones. However: (example)
head# ssh clone5
Unable to get valid context for root
Last login: Tue Oct 14 19:45:14 2008
Connection to 192.168.1.5 closed.

I am going to check now sockets, devices, and named pipes (together with the tar options). And... yes, good point, I am not sure about /boot neither, I'll check that also.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Creating create mirrored disk files systems using mkfs command

What is the correct mkfs syntax to create mirrored disk files systems? I need to make the file system 20gb. For example: machine# mkfs -F ufs /dev/md/dsk/d40 size not specified ufs usage: mkfs special size(sectors) \ -m : dump fs cmd line used to make this partition -V : print this... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: GLJ@USC
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Tar Command

I'm new to Unix, :confused: What is a TAR Command? What does it do? I need simple explanation. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: technie07
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need a script to tar all file systems on the machine into one filesystem.

Hi I am very poor at scripting.:o I need to develop a script that should tar up all the filesystems on the machine on to a single filesystem called /tarfilesystem. Any suggestions ... Thank You very much (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: urrahman_zia
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

tar -cvf test.tar `find . -mtime -1 -type f` only tar 1 file

Hi all, 4 files are returned when i issue 'find . -mtime -1 -type f -ls'. ./ora_475244.aud ./ora_671958.aud ./ora_934052.aud ./ora_934050.aud However, when I issued the below command: tar -cvf test.tar `find . -mtime -1 -type f`, the tar file only contains the 1st file -... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ahSher
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

command to clean up file systems

As you will verify, I am a really naive user of AIX 5.1. As such I wonder if you could possibly let me know of a command or procedure I could use to automatically, globally and safely, remove all useless files from my machine. I'm not referring to my own files because I perfectly know which of them... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ahjchr
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

tar command dont tar to original directory

HI, if I have a tarfile called pmapdata.tar that contains tar -tvf pmapdata.tar -rw-r--r-- 0/0 21 Oct 15 11:00 2009 /var/tmp/pmapdata/pmap4628.txt -rw-r--r-- 0/0 21 Oct 14 20:00 2009 /var/tmp/pmapdata/pmap23752.txt -rw-r--r-- 0/0 1625 Oct 13 20:00 2009... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: borderblaster
1 Replies

7. What is on Your Mind?

From Systems Admin to Systems Eng.

I have been wondering how do Systems Administrators do the jump into Systems Engineering? Is it only a matter of time and experience or could I actually help myself get there? Opinions? Books I could read? Thanks a lot for your help! (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: svalenciatech
0 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

tar command to explore multiple layers of tar and tar.gz files

Hi all, I have a tar file and inside that tar file is a folder with additional tar.gz files. What I want to do is look inside the first tar file and then find the second tar file I'm looking for, look inside that tar.gz file to find a certain directory. I'm encountering issues by trying to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bashnewbee
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Single command - unzip files from a tar command

I have a tar file that contains multiple .Z files. Hence I need to issue a tar command followed by a gzip command to fully extract the files. How do I do it in a single command? What I'm doing now is tar xvf a.tar (this will output 1.Z and 2.Z) gzip -d *.Z (to extract 1.Z and 2.Z) (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: ericlim
9 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

UNIX command to check if file name ends with .tar OR if the file is a tar file

Hello Team, Would you please help me with a UNIX command that would check if file is a tar file. if we dont have that , can you help me with UNIX command that would check if file ends with .tar Thanks in advance. (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: sanjaydubey2006
10 Replies
clonefset(8)						      System Manager's Manual						      clonefset(8)

NAME
clonefset - Creates a read-only copy of an AdvFS fileset SYNOPSIS
/usr/sbin/clonefset domain fileset clonename OPERANDS
Specifies the name of an existing AdvFS file domain. Specifies the name of the original fileset that the clonefset utility will clone. Specifies the name of the read-only fileset created by the clonefset utility. DESCRIPTION
The clonefset utility enables you to perform online backups of active files by making a read-only copy (clone) of an active fileset. Once you create and mount a clone fileset, you can back up the clone using the vdump command or other supported backup utility (the dump command is not supported by AdvFS). Note that the clonefset utility only clones AdvFS filesets; it does not clone UFS file systems. A clone fileset is a read-only snapshot of fileset data structures (metadata). When you clone a fileset, the utility copies only the structure of the original fileset, not its data. When you modify files in the original fileset, the file system copies the original pages to the clone fileset. In this way, the clone fileset contents remain the same as when you first created it. You can create new versions of a clone fileset, but you can maintain only one clone per fileset at a time. You cannot rename a clone file- set, but there is a workaround. You can remove an existing clone fileset (and all its files) by using the rmfset command, then create a new one with the new name. RESTRICTIONS
Each fileset within a domain must have a unique name of up to 31 characters. All whitespace characters (tab, new line, space, and so forth) and the / # : * ? characters are invalid for fileset names. Do not create a clone fileset if the available disk space for the file domain is less than 5 percent of the total. When a file domain runs out of disk space, the file system loses its ability to maintain the consistency of files within clone filesets. When the file system can no longer maintain consistency, it displays warning messages similar to the following on the user's terminal and to the console: WARNING: advfs cannot copy-on-write data to a clone file. WARNING: encountered the following error: ENO_MORE_BLKS (-1040) WARNING: do not continue using the clone fileset. WARNING: original file set: name=mnt, id=2c06a73f.00027192.00000001.8001 WARNING: clone file set: name=clone, id=2c06a73f.00027192.00000002.8002 WARNING: file id = 0000000a.8002 This message also appears in the /var/adm/syslog.dated/latest_boot_date/kern.log file. EXAMPLES
The following example creates a read-only copy of the credit_fs fileset that resides in the accounts_dmn file domain. The clone fileset name in this example is credit_clone1. This example also performs an online backup and removes the clone fileset after the backup is com- plete: # mkdir /mnt/credit_clone1 # clonefset accounts_dmn credit_fs credit_clone1 # mount -t advfs account_dmn#credit_clone1 /mnt/credit_clone1 # vdump /mnt/credit_clone1 # umount /mnt/credit_clone1 # rmfset account_dmn credit_clone1 SEE ALSO
Commands: tar(1), showfdmn(8), vdump(8), vrestore(8) Functions: advfs_clonefset(3) File Formats: advfs(4) clonefset(8)