Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: lamp performance
Top Forums Web Development lamp performance Post 302247166 by Neo on Wednesday 15th of October 2008 05:52:43 AM
Old 10-15-2008
The only way we can accurately tune this site is on the live traffic over many days. I don't think it is really possible to tune performance very well with tools that flood a server with traffic. I did run ab a few times, but it is really a waste of time. Here is the link:

ab - Apache HTTP server benchmarking tool - Apache HTTP Server

The trouble is that tuning requires setting many parameters over time, like key buffers, query cache, timeouts, max connections, etc. So many parameters and each parameter is different.

I noticed the other day that someone ran a flooding tool against this site, because we reached maximum connnections, which only happens when a flooding tool is used :-) Please do not do this. Why? Because it completely ruins the tuning analysis. Flooding is not real traffic and it is not even close to helpful.

In other words, what happens with flooding tools is so different than with real world LAMP.

There is some good reading on the net, for example:

Tuning LAMP systems, Part 3: Tuning your MySQL server

But even these recommendations are only useful as background reference, because each site is different, the hardware is different, the traffic is different, the database queries are different, the JavaScript is different, etc etc.

I used to read all of these, and they are useful; but at the end of the day, LAMP tuning is based on knowing the system details, hardware, software, database structure, traffic pattern, query pattern, load etc. Tools cannot come close to simulating the real traffic (load, queries, timeouts, dropped connections, etc), especially on a site like this.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

LAMP configuration

Hi there, I've got a debian 3.1r4 half working (no x yet :P) I need some pointers for installing a Apache - MySQL - PHP configuration on my box, and set them up to work together. I know to use vim a bit :) I would like something that is similar to tanguay.at, or even simpler, since I'm a real... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: izua
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

LAMP Server Failover

How does everyone else handle this? My Setup: Server A: CentOS 5.x 10.0.0.1 Apache MySQL Master Server B: CentOS 5.x 10.0.0.2 Apache MySQL Slave My Domains: dom1.com A record: 10.0.0.1 A Record: 10.0.0.2 dom2.com A record: 10.0.0.1 A Record: 10.0.0.2 (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ikon
3 Replies

3. Web Development

LAMP - version updates and the impact!

Hello All, I have a LAMP server (CentOS 5.5) which has a lot of php scripts and the php pages runs fine. My question is if I have to allow the OS udpates regularly on the server, will there be any problems in running the existing php scripts? Please advise if my apache/mysql/php functionality... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ilan
3 Replies

4. Solaris

Need LAMP tutorial!

Hello Everybody, Does anybody know or recommend me a tutorial for LAMP server on Solaris 10 x86? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ahmedamer12
3 Replies

5. Web Development

Building LAMP server from scratch (build a server with compiled LAMP from CentOS mini)

Hello everyone, I would like to setup a lamp server from a minimal distro and to compile PHP, MySQL and Apache myself. I have chosen CentOS minimal for the OS and I am trying to build the stack by hand... But well, it appears I need some help! First: I am looking for good and recent... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: freddie50
3 Replies

6. Programming

Lamp tutorial

Hello All, I need a good lamp(linux, apache, mysql, php) tutorial for web development. I searched in net but not finding suitable one. suggest me something. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: amisubha
3 Replies

7. HP-UX

LAMP Installation On HP-UX

Dear Folks, How to Install LAMP on HP-UX system. Please Guide. Regards, KRISHNA (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: krishna.lu
2 Replies

8. Red Hat

Setting up LAMP environment

I wish to setup LAMP environment. Amongst, I have successfully installed Linux 6.1. I am looking fwd to install - Apace Web Server, My Sql Database & PHP environment. Say if I look for MySql, could see downloadable available in rpm format. But this must be copied over to Linux machine. As... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: videsh77
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

LAMP Sever

How do I install a LAMP server on a new installation of Debian 9 using the lalest versions of AMP? Here is what I have. Corrections please. MYSQL apt-get install mysql-server mysql-client You can verify the MySQL server status using command: systemctl status mysql ------- PHP7... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Meow613
0 Replies
IPFW(4)                                                    BSD Kernel Interfaces Manual                                                    IPFW(4)

NAME
ipfw -- IP packet filter and traffic accounting SYNOPSIS
To compile ipfw into the kernel, place the following option in the kernel configuration file: options IPFIREWALL Other kernel options related to ipfw which may also be useful are: options IPFIREWALL_DEFAULT_TO_ACCEPT options IPFIREWALL_FORWARD options IPFIREWALL_VERBOSE options IPFIREWALL_VERBOSE_LIMIT=100 To load ipfw as a module at boot time, add the following line into the loader.conf(5) file: ipfw_load="YES" DESCRIPTION
The ipfw system facility allows filtering, redirecting, and other operations on IP packets travelling through network interfaces. The default behavior of ipfw is to block all incoming and outgoing traffic. This behavior can be modified, to allow all traffic through the ipfw firewall by default, by enabling the IPFIREWALL_DEFAULT_TO_ACCEPT kernel option. This option may be useful when configuring ipfw for the first time. If the default ipfw behavior is to allow everything, it is easier to cope with firewall-tuning mistakes which may acciden- tally block all traffic. To enable logging of packets passing through ipfw, enable the IPFIREWALL_VERBOSE kernel option. The IPFIREWALL_VERBOSE_LIMIT option will prevent syslogd(8) from flooding system logs or causing local Denial of Service. This option may be set to the number of packets which will be logged on a per-entry basis before the entry is rate-limited. Policy routing and transparent forwarding features of ipfw can be enabled by IPFIREWALL_FORWARD kernel option. The user interface for ipfw is implemented by the ipfw(8) utility, so please refer to the ipfw(8) manpage for a complete description of the ipfw capabilities and how to use it. SEE ALSO
setsockopt(2), divert(4), ip(4), ipfw(8), sysctl(8), syslogd(8), pfil(9) BSD September 1, 2006 BSD