Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Unexpected sed result.
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Unexpected sed result. Post 302247064 by MrC on Wednesday 15th of October 2008 12:04:33 AM
Old 10-15-2008
Your MD5 password contains sed and shell metacharacters, which may be interpolated in your script because $grubPW is unquoted. Quote the entire sed expression to protect the shell from interpreting the value of $grubPW. The shell will variable expand inside of double quotes:

Code:
sed "s=password.*=password --md5 $grubPW=g" /boot/grub/grub.conf

If this still has troubles, show the script segment that allows us to test the failure.
MrC

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

unexpected 'end of file' + sed command

hello, i use this command in my code: (void) sprintf ( LBuf, "/bin/sed 's/\\//g' %s > %s", tmp1,tmp2); but i get this error : sh: syntax error at line 1:'end of file' unexpected any help please thank you (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kamel.seg
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

unexpected pipeline result with find -exec

Hi All, I probably miss something fundamental here. I want to rename a bunch of files in subdirectories (that might contain white spaces) with names that are related. I thought following could do the job: find . -name *.sh -exec mv {} $(echo {} | sed -e 's/0/1/g') \; Now to be able to... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: blued
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to use the result from a command in SED

Hi all, this is my first post so go gentle. My goal is to use SED to add data to the end of lines in a file, then send the results to standard output. However, I want to add the result of another command to the end of the lines. Basically: sed 's/$/ insert command stuff here/' file.txtHere... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jsmith_4242
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Taking sed result in a variable

Hi All, How can i take the following code having three seds into a variable : echo "$DateFileFormat" | sed 's/\./\\\\./g' | sed 's/\$/+/g' | sed 's/\#/'$job_date'/g' I want to get the result stored in a script variable i tried var2=`echo "$DateFileFormat" | sed 's/\./\\\\./g' |... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: abhinav192
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

shell script - unexpected result

I hv a file --am executing a script which is giving me unexpected results COntents of file: f1 CMT_AP1_CONT:/opt/sybase/syboc125:150:ASE12_5::Y:UX: CMT_AP1:/opt/sybase/syboc125:150:ASE12_5::Y:UX f1.tmp CMT_AP1_CONT:/opt/sybase/syboc125:150:ASE12_5::Y:UX:... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajashekar.y
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unexpected results with lists in GNU sed

I have been living with this problem with GNU sed v4.1.4 for a long time, but now I really need to figure it out. When using a list in either an address or a search, the expression is matching lower and upper-case letters. works as it should. For example, if I run sed -nr "// p"... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: nctrader
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Solved] My sed command not give me a satisfy result

This is my command echo "Test" | sed -f <(sed -e 's/.*/s,&,gI/' mydic) In mydic file,containing 2 columns delimit by comma (,) a,AlphabetA . . . e,AlphabetE . . s,AlphabetS . t,AlphabetT test,testedd . . zebra,zebraaaa The expect result is testedd (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Runicer
0 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Weird: unexpected result after piping a sort

Hello, And when you think you know the basics of something, UNIX in this case, something like what I will describe below comes along.... On a Linux system, a "typical" directory with some files. Say 20. I do: > ls | sort > mylisting Now when I: > vi mylisting There is mylisting... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: stavros
13 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed Unexpected results, missing first search item

I created 3 files with the identical data as follows dial-peer voice 9999 pots trunkgroup CO list outgoing Local translation-profile outgoing LOCAL-7-DIGITS-NO-PREPEND-97 preference 2 shutdown destination-pattern 9......$ forward-digits 7 dial-peer voice 10000 pots ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: popeye
6 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Unexpected result from awk

Hello, Giving those commands: cat > myfile 1 2 3 ^D cat myfile | awk '{ s=s+$1 ; print s}' The output is: 1 3 6 It seems like this command iterates each time on a different row so $1 is the first field of each row.. But what caused it to refer to each row ?. What I mean... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: uniran
3 Replies
GRUB(8) 								FSF								   GRUB(8)

NAME
grub - the grub shell SYNOPSIS
grub [OPTION]... DESCRIPTION
Enter the GRand Unified Bootloader command shell. --batch turn on batch mode for non-interactive use --boot-drive=DRIVE specify stage2 boot_drive [default=0x0] --config-file=FILE specify stage2 config_file [default=/boot/grub/menu.lst] --device-map=FILE use the device map file FILE --help display this message and exit --hold wait until a debugger will attach --install-partition=PAR specify stage2 install_partition [default=0x20000] --no-config-file do not use the config file --no-curses do not use curses --no-floppy do not probe any floppy drive --no-pager do not use internal pager --preset-menu use the preset menu --probe-second-floppy probe the second floppy drive --read-only do not write anything to devices --verbose print verbose messages --version print version information and exit REPORTING BUGS
Report bugs to <bug-grub@gnu.org>. SEE ALSO
update-grub(8), grub-install(8). The full documentation for grub is maintained as a Texinfo manual in the grub-legacy-doc package. If the info and grub programs are prop- erly installed at your site, the command info grub should give you access to the complete manual. grub (GNU GRUB 0.97) January 2013 GRUB(8)