Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users What Are the Differences Between Itanium and x86_64 CPUs? Post 302246918 by otheus on Tuesday 14th of October 2008 05:06:59 PM
Old 10-14-2008
As far as Hardware is concerned, I'm of the opinion that newer Opteron x86_64s will blow away Itanium servers. However, with Oracle -- and most non-CPU intensive tasks, the big problem is memory speed and latency. That's where it gets difficult to follow.

The early Opterons made a good move by putting the memory controller on the CPU itself. Although this was definitely superior, AMD was behind in moving their CPUs to support DDR2, wheras Intel had been doing that for years. Eventually, Intel moved the controller on the CPU (and the latest quad-core Itaniums do that) and AMD moved to support DDR2. I can tell you that DDR2 vs DDR1 is a pretty big difference. And benchmarks revealed that on-CPU memory controllers also made a big difference -- in certain applications.

Next we get to IO. Here, it matters little whether the chip is from Intel or AMD. Now it matters the quality of the chipset and hardware vendor. You need to have a very high FSB, and northbridge controllers. PCI-Express x16 and supporting cards should be preferred over PCI based controllers. Fiberchannel and Infiniband are preferred over SCSI, etc.

HP is supporting Linux with their HPC academic and blade-computing clusters. I don't know why you'd have to sacrifice HP support in order to get Linux. Could Linux outperform HP? Maybe not. Earlier, on this board, a poster demonstrated that HP-UX semaphore operations are 4x to 5x as fast as on Linux. Semaphores are pretty crucial when it comes to locking, and Oracle does that a lot. The only way to find out ... is to look for benchmarks that are similar to your environment.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. HP-UX

How Many CPUs? (Itanium)

I've got a dual CPU Itanium server that we use for hosting our Oracle database. It's been up and running fine for quite some time. So well, in fact, that I haven't even looked at 'top' in a while. Recently I needed to look at 'top' and I only see one CPU listed now. CPU0. Is there any other... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: deckard
5 Replies

2. Solaris

how can i know how many cpus i have?

installed in my mechine? or any info about the configuretion of the cpus? thanks (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: umen
4 Replies

3. Solaris

Multiple CPUs

I have a Sun server with 4 CPUs. How can I verify if all 4 are being used? When I use top, it doesn't seem to break it down into 4 cpus, should it? example: load averages: 1.14, 1.06, 0.88; up 27+03:16:09 14:39:30 148 processes: 145 sleeping, 1 running, 2 on cpu... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: FredSmith
3 Replies

4. HP-UX

Does HP-UX On Itanium always come with PA-RISC compatibility

Does anybody know if HP-UX on Itanium always comes with backwards compatibility for PA-RISC applications? I've heard that there is an emulator called Aries which should do the trick, I just need to know if it always comes as standard with HP-UX Itanium systems. Any help would be greatly... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: nialler
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

cpus for especific users

hi, how can asignate in a multicore processor a number of core for especific users ? many thanks. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pixelmuerto
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Differences between 2 Flat Files and process the differences

Hi Hope you are having a great weeknd !! I had a question and need your expertise for this : I have 2 files File1 & File2(of same structure) which I need to compare on some columns. I need to find the values which are there in File2 but not in File 1 and put the Differences in another file... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbie_8398
5 Replies

7. HP-UX

Install tcsh on HP-UX 11.31 itanium

I have 2 servers , both are HP-UX specifications as follows : (1) HP-UX adroit B.10.20 A 9000/785 2013264127 one-user license (2) HP-UX xen B.11.31 U ia64 2662515494 one-user license First one has tcsh installed adroit:/home/seo/hitendra 22 ] which tcsh /usr/bin/tcsh But the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: hiten.r.chauhan
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need script for Itanium server

Hi, I have a folder that has the below 6 files. -rw-r----- 1 wlsuser users 32203 May 16 09:41 card_10.77.200.100.csv -rw-r----- 1 wlsuser users 104119 May 16 09:42 card_135.57.206.116.csv -rw-r----- 1 wlsuser users 12412 May 16 09:42... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohtashims
3 Replies

9. AIX

Calculate needed CPUs

Hello If a process on a AIX system uses 0.3 CPU's, how many cpu's are needed for 100 Systems? Regards, Patrick (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: PatMis81
3 Replies

10. HP-UX

PDFtk for HP-UX 11.31 Itanium 64

Hi Unix and HP-US experts, I have a need to encrypt/give password to PDF files in HP-UX servers, but unfortunately I am new to unix and hp-ux. My server is HP-UX 11.31 running on Itanium 64 bit architecture. I have downloaded and installed PDFtk from this link:... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: villium
1 Replies
cpu_capabilities(3alleg4)					  Allegro manual					 cpu_capabilities(3alleg4)

NAME
cpu_capabilities - Contains the capability flags of the CPU. Allegro game programming library. SYNOPSIS
#include <allegro.h> extern int cpu_capabilities; DESCRIPTION
Contains CPU flags indicating what features are available on the current CPU. The flags can be any combination of these: CPU_ID - Indicates that the "cpuid" instruction is available. If this is set, then all Allegro CPU variables are 100% reliable, otherwise there may be some mistakes. CPU_FPU - An FPU is available. CPU_IA64 - Running on Intel 64 bit CPU CPU_AMD64 - Running on AMD 64 bit CPU CPU_MMX - Intel MMX instruction set is available. CPU_MMXPLUS - Intel MMX+ instruction set is available. CPU_SSE - Intel SSE instruction set is available. CPU_SSE2 - Intel SSE2 instruction set is available. CPU_SSE3 - Intel SSE3 instruction set is available. CPU_3DNOW - AMD 3DNow! instruction set is available. CPU_ENH3DNOW - AMD Enhanced 3DNow! instruction set is available. CPU_CMOV - Pentium Pro "cmov" instruction is available. You can check for multiple features by OR-ing the flags together. For example, to check if the CPU has an FPU and MMX instructions avail- able, you'd do: if ((cpu_capabilities & (CPU_FPU | CPU_MMX)) == (CPU_FPU | CPU_MMX)) { printf("CPU has both an FPU and MMX instructions! "); } You can read this variable after you have called check_cpu() (which is automatically called by allegro_init()). SEE ALSO
check_cpu(3alleg4), cpu_vendor(3alleg4), cpu_family(3alleg4), cpu_model(3alleg4), cpu_capabilities(3alleg4), allegro_init(3alleg4) Allegro version 4.4.2 cpu_capabilities(3alleg4)